GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS headlight adj problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 04:31 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS headlight adj problem...

I just replaced my driver's side HID bulb and noticed it was aimed high. The vertical adjustment screw turns, and turns, and turns... but no lowering. The farking thing is stripped. I'd rather not dish out the dough for a new headlamp assembly (OEM HID) just for this. Any other suggestions?

(Also, in case I do end up getting a new assembly, will it be the greenish newer gs look? I'd hate to pay for a new one and have it not match the other side.)

Thanks
Old 02-21-05, 04:41 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM HID's have an auto level feature, Not sure you can manually adjust them
Old 02-21-05, 05:24 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

They also have two adjustment screws, one is vert and one is horiz adjustment. The manual adjustments are to get the headlights aimed properly when level and under normal load. The auto-leveling is more for adjusting due to level changes (loaded trunk, etc.). FYI, the screws are more like plastic stalks with Philips screw ends that adjust the housing position.
Old 02-21-05, 05:51 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they don't adjust alot immediately.....its one of those things you gotta keep turnin AND watchin that bubble move front to back

get that bubble either centered or a lil down is even better

just keep turnin, that bubble moves very slowly
Old 02-21-05, 06:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hold on, if you already have autoleveling, i wonder why the bulb is aiming high, unless you drastically shifted the back of the housing during the install?

if not, i would suspect that you didn't install the bulb back on correctly?
Old 02-21-05, 06:53 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. I just went out and turned that puppy forever - no lower. The bulbs in each headlight appear to both fit into the socket at the same angle and depth. The caps on the back look the same as well.

Hopefully it is the fitment of the bulb. However, I am surprised that the manual adjustment can be turned in the same direction for minutes on end without backing out/ hitting a stop or at least changing the beam. That just doesn't seem right

Just in case there is someting out of place, I'll redo the install tomorrow and see if things change.
Old 02-21-05, 07:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by roguenode
Thanks for the advice. I just went out and turned that puppy forever - no lower. The bulbs in each headlight appear to both fit into the socket at the same angle and depth. The caps on the back look the same as well.

Hopefully it is the fitment of the bulb. However, I am surprised that the manual adjustment can be turned in the same direction for minutes on end without backing out/ hitting a stop or at least changing the beam. That just doesn't seem right

Just in case there is someting out of place, I'll redo the install tomorrow and see if things change.
well for me it started to adjust VERY slowly after turning it for a while

but yeah i would definitely check the fitment. i have changed the bulbs couple of times. unless you really missed something and applied some great force in shifting the back housing
Old 02-22-05, 01:32 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

even with auto-leveling the adjustment shouldnt be so slow that you need to crank the adjustment so much with a screwdriver....if it is dark out you should see the cut off line move fairly quickly with each turn.

i think that the headlight that you have has been cranked so much that the screw that goes into the housing is now out of place .... the screw enters the outside housing then goes into the headlight which is connected to the main reflector with plastic.....if for some reason the screw was mis-aligned and you cranked it as much as you say you did....there is a slight chance that you may have eaten at the plastic threads which are on the reflector...i guess you wont be able to tell unless u take the headlight apart...gluck dood
Old 02-27-05, 05:13 PM
roguenode
Pole Position

Well, I didn't get a chance to really look at my lights again until today. And, in the interest of thread closure...

I pulled the bulb out again, rotated it 180 degrees, and fit it back into the housing, closed it all up and turned them on. The beam was now lower than the pass. side and the cutoff lines more defined. I then backed off the adjuster to raise the driver's side and all is good. I either had the bulb slightly out of place or the wire tensioners out of whack against the back of the bulb.

No more blinding oncoming cars
Old 02-28-05, 01:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by roguenode
Well, I didn't get a chance to really look at my lights again until today. And, in the interest of thread closure...

I pulled the bulb out again, rotated it 180 degrees, and fit it back into the housing, closed it all up and turned them on. The beam was now lower than the pass. side and the cutoff lines more defined. I then backed off the adjuster to raise the driver's side and all is good. I either had the bulb slightly out of place or the wire tensioners out of whack against the back of the bulb.

No more blinding oncoming cars
awesome! from what you said (180 degrees), sounds like you put the bulb upside down. all these bulbs they only fit in one exactly location. the gnd wire (the wire outside of the glas tude) shoudl be on the bottom when the bulb is in place

glad it's all fixed now