GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PLEASE HELP (Weird noise from ???)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-05, 02:19 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy PLEASE HELP (Weird noise from ???)

well, for the past few days, my 2000 GS300 w/about 85k miles on it has been making a weird sound. the sound is almost like a whistling or a whining coming from the front of the car, but idk from where. the noise only happens when its really cold out and when the car is in motion. as i start to slow down, the noise will completely go away. the thing is, the noise is not always there... it comes and goes with absolutley no consistency (so i cant make the car make the noise even if i tried). now i think my serpentine belt may need to be changed b/c it squeaks when i start my car (and i had this recently replaced ) and im not sure if it has anything to do with the noise. i have been told that when the water pump starts to go, it may have some of these "symptoms"... any ideas guys?? im nervous

EDIT: i forgot to mention this, and its very important, the noise im talking about also has a little grind to it that comes and goes with this noise... but its not a grind from the wheels b/c i can be driving for a while w/ NO problems, and then it starts and you hear these noises, and as soon as i start to slow down and get down to around 15 mph, the noise goes away and might or might not come back when i speed up again

Last edited by varcity64; 02-05-05 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-05, 02:33 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
now i think my serpentine belt may need to be changed b/c it squeaks when i start my car
I would check this first maybe you tensioner is weak. Random noise? could that be the fan kicking on and off causeing the belt to squeal?
Old 02-05-05, 07:13 AM
17gs400
Lead Lap

i got the same problem with my GS400, brough it to the dealer, and they didn't know where its came from. This noise only came on when it cold, and also when your car run around 35mph. If it slower or faster there would be no noise
Old 02-05-05, 09:16 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 17gs400
i got the same problem with my GS400, brough it to the dealer, and they didn't know where its came from. This noise only came on when it cold, and also when your car run around 35mph. If it slower or faster there would be no noise

i dont know what to do the noise is very random and if i take it for someone to look at, i KNOW the noise wont show up til after i take the car back... i know im not describing my problem the best, but SOMEONE has to know something
Old 02-05-05, 09:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Not sure if this will help but what about the seals around your door?
The only thing I can think of with whistling noise is air coming in from somewhere
Sorry can't be of much help.
Old 02-05-05, 09:28 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Not sure if this will help but what about the seals around your door?
The only thing I can think of with whistling noise is air coming in from somewhere
Sorry can't be of much help.

well, that whistling noise is a seperate issue, BUT the noise im talking about also has a little grind to it (which i didnt mention before, and will edit my post to say) that comes and goes with this noise... but its not a grind from the wheels b/c i can be driving for a while w NO problems, and then it starts and you hear these noises, and as soon as i start to slow down and get down to around 15 mph, the noise goes away and might or might not come back
Old 02-05-05, 09:36 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Lightbulb

well, that whistling noise is a seperate issue, BUT the noise im talking about also has a little grind to it (which i didnt mention before, and will edit my post to say) that comes and goes with this noise... but its not a grind from the wheels b/c i can be driving for a while w NO problems, and then it starts and you hear these noises, and as soon as i start to slow down and get down to around 15 mph, the noise goes away and might or might not come back
Hmmm... this might be stretched pretty far but here goes:
When I had my 95 corolla, it would make a weird somewhat grinding noise, sounds like a tire with off-road tires. The noise would get louder the faster I drive. The noise would go away when I slow down and make turns (left or right). Finally found out that it was bad bearings in my right rear axle.
Might not be a bad bearing for you but maybe you can have it checked out????

I'm sure someone with prior experience will chime in eventually so you're going to get entertained by all these different scenarios
Old 02-05-05, 04:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm man, i have absolutely no idea why @_@ maybe you should just have a mechanic check it out
Old 02-05-05, 06:36 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

is the noise ever there when the car is stopped and you rev the motor. ?

serp belts are always louder when cold. if the belt is getting old it will be louder and more sensitive to temp
Old 02-06-05, 02:41 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
is the noise ever there when the car is stopped and you rev the motor. ?

serp belts are always louder when cold. if the belt is getting old it will be louder and more sensitive to temp

nope, i tried keeping the car in park and revving (sp??) the motor and NO noise... i have no idea and its driving me CRAZY... especially b/c i got a little vacation planned in 2 weeks, and i have to drive... rom, i want to take it to a mechanic, but i KNOW that this noise wont be there when he looks at it b/c thats my luck
Old 02-06-05, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nope, i tried keeping the car in park and revving (sp??) the motor and NO noise... i have no idea and its driving me CRAZY... especially b/c i got a little vacation planned in 2 weeks, and i have to drive... rom, i want to take it to a mechanic, but i KNOW that this noise wont be there when he looks at it b/c thats my luck
i feel ya man, coz' that's me too. and that's why i started to learn how to pinpoint problem myself, etc...
Old 03-04-07, 07:46 PM
landarc
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy I am currently having the same issue

Originally Posted by 17gs400
I am having the same problem right now. I thought it was my winter tires, but ruled that out. My whislting noise is coming from the right side. Somewhere? It happens only when its cold and around speeds of 40 - 60 kmh. I took my dad with me and we tried some things. I had him sit in the back passenger and front passenger and opened the doors, the whistling was till there. I think its something under the car that is making the noise. Still under investigation.
Old 03-04-07, 08:13 PM
anel
Driver School Candidate

I got the 2000 gs 300 with 46k miles and I have same problem. We need some help here with this isssue.