GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-16-14, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

GS400 radiator replacement how-to

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 09:16 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 radiator replacement how-to

I've done a search, but can't seem to find specific instructions on how to replace the radiator on a GS400. I have already purchased my new radiator, but the incompetent dealer wants almost $200 bucks just for labor. Would anybody that has done this procedure care to chime in with some simple instructions?

Thanks
Old 02-03-05, 09:53 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never done a GS but it should be pretty self explanitory. obviously you'll have to remove the hoses and fans. I don't know if our cars run the tranny fluid into rad or not, but if so obviously you'll have to unbolt/bolt up to new rad and top off your trans fluid . If you are half way good at this type of stuff it will be easy to figure out. good luck
Old 02-03-05, 12:15 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiator Removal

Removing the radiator is pretty basic on the GS. I had to remove mine when I did the timing belt last year.

The radiator has fittings on the bottom for the transmission cooler. Just remove the 2 rubber lines, and once the radiator is out, you will have to transfer the brass fittings onto the nrew radiator IF they are not already fitted with them.

Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses and check the clamps while you have it out. If there is any doubt, replace them with screw type clamps.

Both white-colored cooling fans screw onto the radiator on the back side. You don't necessarily HAVE to take these off, BUT you DO have to remove the wiring connectors from the fans, and those connectors have been inplace a long time. They are TRICKY, because the plastic connectors have to RELEASE before they will come apart. Be careful and don't break them, or stretch a wire too far, or your fans will not work after you get it back together.

ALSO, the FAN switch that controls the fans is also in the bottom tank next to the transmission cooler lines. Disconnect the wire connector first before attempting to remove the radiator.

The radiator sits in a groove or channel that has rubber grommets in the frame. The radiator has male ends that fit into the holes. It is an all-or-nothing deal. You will know it if you got it right.

Hopefully you have a direct replacement radiator to cut down on modifications. Transfer all the pieces from the old radiator to the new one. Decide whether you want to put the fans on before dropping in the frame, or after. Personally, I installed the fans BEFORE dropping theradiator in. Les work to do in tight quarters.

Make sure to properly install all electrical connectors before starting up. Inspect hoses and replace if needed.

Fill radiator and don't forget to bleed or purge the air from the system, or you will get air noise in the heater. There is a small metal plug behind the thermostat housing that has to be removed while filling. Keep adding coolant until it runs out of the hole clearly without air. Then replace the plug. The p plug must be replaced BEFORE starting the engine, or the water pump will kick out a large amount of coolant before you can stop the engine again.

Keep filling until the system is full, and start the engine. Turn on the A/C and heater to 85 to open the heater, and fill normally. The thermostat will open normally when warm. Check for leaks and you are done.

GOOD LUCK if you decide to tackle this job. I realize I may have made it sound more difficult than it really is, but more info is better than not enough, I always say.
Old 02-03-05, 12:17 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Wink Gs radiator

Not that hard... just need to get all the hoses disconnected and unbolt it. It will take a little time, but make sure to take your time... Kinda hard to explain how to do it without pix.. but just take a common sense approach... It's not too hard to do. I took apart the radiator, shroud, fans, motors, and condensor. And put it back together with the new ones, so it's not that hard. I do believe you will have to have the condensor recharged and pressurized though.. I will, but I did alot more work than you need to. . Hope this helps.

Rock
Old 02-03-05, 12:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a small metal plug behind the thermostat housing that has to be removed while filling. Keep adding coolant until it runs out of the hole clearly without air. Then replace the plug. The p plug must be replaced BEFORE starting the engine, or the water pump will kick out a large amount of coolant before you can stop the engine again.
is this really necessary? can't you just let it run with the cap off for a while? that's what I've always done.
Old 02-03-05, 12:46 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plug Removal

SURE,
You can leave the cap off and run it, but it is messy, and it takes longer to do right.
I have done it both ways, but since the plug is there for this purpose, I use it.

MOST of the air will be removed this way BEFORE the engine is started, while the engine is cool. This virtually eliminates the risk of having to handle the hot radiator cap repeatedly while filling.

But I have done it the old fashioned way for so long, I COULD do it that way. The only thing is, the air in the system is CRITICAL on our cars, and many people have complained of noise in the heater until all of the air is out.

I had 3 1989 and 1990 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupes that HAD to be bled using the bleed plug in order to get it right. It took hours if you did not do it right. I learned the hard way.

Your choice...Either way is fine....I remove the plug.
Old 12-16-07, 08:34 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote "The p plug must be replaced BEFORE starting the engine, or the water pump will kick out a large amount of coolant before you can stop the engine again." what's the P plug?
Old 12-22-07, 10:02 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Quote "The p plug must be replaced BEFORE starting the engine, or the water pump will kick out a large amount of coolant before you can stop the engine again." what's the P plug?
How about a picture of the "P" plug??

BP
Old 12-22-07, 09:27 PM
pardesi
Rookie

Default here ya go

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
1998 Lexus GS 400 V8 Radiator.doc (257.5 KB, 1887 views)
Old 10-20-11, 05:29 AM
DreallDay
Driver School Candidate

Default GS300 radiator

Does anyone know if the process to change the radiator on the GS300 is the Same as the GS400. And if it isn't what steps are different

Last edited by DreallDay; 10-20-11 at 05:30 AM. Reason: title missing
Old 10-20-11, 06:04 AM
tn96dc
Pole Position

I would drain the radiator first and then start taking off the hoses, then unplug the fans, then remove the radiator stays and anything else that's obstructing the radiator from coming out... It won't seem that difficult when you actually look at it. If you don't feel confident enough to do it, $200 for the dealer to do it isn't that bad considering it will be done correctly.