GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Default Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!

I saw an article on a 2005 test drive of the GS 2nd gen and got to thinking "this maybe the last road test of the 2nd gen GS".

I got all teary eyed.

The 3rd gen GS debuts March 1st, in less than a month. I figure lets start a thread giving our best story of the Gs, the 1st time we saw it etc. This car draws a lot of emotion from many owners and non-owners. This was the car that showed Lexus could make a performance sedan alternative to the Germans. It's been a tremendous success here and worldwide.

History:
The 1st gen GS was brought here in Fall 92 as a 93 model. It was designed by Guigario (one of the top Italian designers) and was slotted between the ES entry level and LS flagship. The GS was to be the sporty sedan Lexus. In Japan the car could be had with the 2JZ I-6 that we got AND they got a TT version of that engine. Lexus only gave us the 225hp I-6 version. The GS was also much bigger in dimensions than its German rivals, the E and 5 series. It was 194 inches long with a 109-inch wheelbase (I believe). The E and 5 were around 188 inches in length with just as long a wheelbase. The GS had much larger overhangs than the other 2. Finally, the yen started trading unfavorably, the GS was the 1st Lexus NOT priced several thousand dollars below rivals. The GS also had a very small trunk; the gas tank was behind the rear seats ala the SC 300/400. Add those things up and the 1st gen GS was a good car but not great. They sold 20k GS 300s in 1993 and sales fell to a rumored 197 units in 1997. The 1st gen GS was a solid car, always tops in reliability in class, it was sporty for a Lexus (18" wheels were an option in Europe) but too much mass and no V-8 option hurt its image some. This car was another Lexus embraced by the hip hop community, mentioned in lyrics and seen in videos. The styling is timeless.

Lexus though, never swings the bat twice and hits two doubles in a row. Lexus hits home runs.

A few things happened during development time. The stock market heated up!! It was a time where it seems millionaires were made daily. BMW got hot. People wanted hot and sexy cars, no matter if they were or the image portrayed that. BMW became very hot as it was the sporty luxury brand. Benz was seen as a car for old-timers. Yuppies were back in vogue. Also the 1997 GS 300 got a new 5 speed automatic in its final year. This helped dropped over a second from 0-60 times. This was the new tranny almost all Lexus would soon use.

Lexus began development of the 2nd gen GS with all eyes on taking on/out the 5/E class. They learned many lessons with the 1st gen. This was to be a true, global competitor.

It was shown a few months on the show circuit as the "HPS" High Performance Sedan. No one knew it was identical to the production car. Only the wheels changed (the wider 5 spokes were changed for thinner ones).
1. Size. The 2nd gen GS SHRUNK in length, 189 inches long with a longer 110 inch wheelbase. This was the 1st Japanese sports sedan with euro dimensions.
2. Interior. In addition, interior room grew!! How'd they do that? The longer wheelbase and new swooping roofline allowed more room. The gauges were recessed with 3 bins, very sporty. The steering wheel was a 3 spoke, which sports cars had. The wood was also all new, never had a car had the wood up the panel like the GS did in the center console. Real wood adorned all 4 doors. Leather was top notch, as was quiet in the car.
3. Trunk size grew 20%! How? They moved the gas tank from behind the seats to under the seats. So you now have a smaller car with more room.
4. Technology. New top of the line NAV systems. Self leveling HIDs added. The CD player was moved from the trunk to the glove box. E-shft gave you the option to shift from the steering wheel, optitron gauges were a worlds 1st.
5. Design. This was big. The 2nd Gen GS had to be the anti-lexus! It had to be the Lexus that was the black sheep in the family. Lexus designers used the SC for inspiration with the front end, using the split headlights theme. This was also used in the rear, another car first. It was instantly recognizable front and rear. The look was taunt, stretched fenders, creases above the front and rear wheel wheels show tension. The car was also not two-tone, but a one tone Lexus. The trunk was very short, the hood long. The roofline is now one of the most imitated, curving instead of flat. To keep the family resemblance, the c-pillar was kept some from the 1st gen, the door cut out is the same but the black out treatment gives it an illusion of being bigger.
Little known fact: The GS window design was made to imitate the "L" emblem. The curvature is the same in the rear.
6. Performance. The GS 300 replacement was known to becoming but the automotive press had NO IDEA a GS 400 was coming!! The GS 300 had 220hp but with the new 5 speed auto was the fastest GS 300 yet. The car also handled better than ever due to a renewed suspension with the Germans in mind. The GS 400 though, was an absolute shocker. 300hp, 310lbs torque, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds all day long. It was the fastest production automatic sedan (which Lexus used in its ads). The car also handled as well as a Japanese luxury sports sedan could get. Almost on par with German feel. Lexus still worked out a way to keep its renowned ride. Braking was also near or tops in class. Many thought the brakes were some of the best offered.
7. Marketing "Something Wicked this Way Comes"!! Remember that? Lexus had a marketing blitz with the new GS, something it did not do with the 1st car.
8. Accolades, when it was all said and done, the GS was a darling of the automotive press.
A. Either won or placed 1st or 2nd in initial comparisons (GS 300 AND GS 400)
B. Import car of the Year
C. 10 Best Winner
D. Chosen 15th in Motor Trend as the most desirable vehicles in 50 years!
E. In addition, it kept its top spot for quality in JD Power. The sound system was also rated one of the worlds best (Nakamichi).

8. People. The SC did have its enthusiasts but the GS simply multiplied this number. This car was also a hit in Japan (The Toyota Aristo) and the aftermarket responses in kind). This car drew to it the usual Lexus customers, but a new BREED, who dug performance and wanted to modify their vehicle. Looking at Clublexus, the 2nd gen Forum has the most views/posts/replies etc. It is the backbone of the site. No 2nd gen GS, this site would be totally different.

The GS is now 7 years old and still looks striking and new. It is a well respected sports luxury sedan worldwide. Sales are down as every competitor in this segment except the Jag S-type is new. The time has come for its newer brother to extend on all the values the 1st and 2nd gens have.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The GS was such a success, Nissan basically designed all its new sedans using the GS as a mold. It also encouraged Nissan and Acura to offer sporting Japanese luxury sedans that take the Germans on head-on, since people will buy them. You can find GS inner taillights on a number of modded Hondas and whole front end conversions on cars. The optitron gauges were copied as the wood going up the console.

So farewell to a grand friend, you will be missed. And you will live on through our members at Clublexus and all the new buyers looking to purchase a used GS at a great price, finally putting their dream car in their hands.

Thanks to the "O.G's" who bought their GS first and modded them correctly, showing us all the light.

"The King is dead, long live the King"!!!!

Last edited by LexFather; 02-02-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 02:27 PM
LexFather

If there are any specific 2nd gen questions, please ask them!

Now I share my 1st GS story. I remember going to the dealer for service and I go upstairs and there is a small brochure with 4 big **** headlights looking at me! It was the front end of the new GS and I will never forget the emotion it gave me. I thought it was a concept.

The first time I remember seeing it was downtown in Atlanta, a white one ZOOMED by me and I tried to catch up. I remember catching up at a light and drooling. The car was incredible.

The first time I drove one, I could not believe its velocity. And this was coming from a SC 400.
Old 02-02-05, 03:09 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Post 1SICK! I guess I have to go in order.

1st Gen - have loved this car since my teenage years!!! Always lusted for one soo bad. There was a company called Zoom or something like that, and they put 20" Chrome MOMO Status, coilovers and a turbo kit on a white GS back in 97 or so. I saw that car and thought I would DIE!!!! This was the onset of the "luxury car tuning". Previously it was mostly modding for compacts and such. (no big wheels, suspension, etc on luxury cars).

I can still remember my test drive of my first gen and being surprised at the snap it had, and the way the 5spd shifted. I swear I was not even looking for a 1st gen, but I drove it around the corner, and bought it a week later!!! Nothing can compare to the feeling of a 21yr old (with a legal source of income) driving off the Lexus dealership lot, with that little bag of goodies in the backseat (window sticker, touch up paint, etc). Talk about EAR TO EAR GRINS! The paint was just sooo clean on it, I used to just wax it, and stare at it!! LOL I can remember the first couple months driving that car (with the 20s I installed a week after I bought it), and thinking "does a driving experience get any better than this?????" No matter how insignificant to some, there is NOTHING like getting something you have lusted over for years!! From a High School sophmore to after college is a while, but the experience was still oh so sweet!!!

2nd Gen - there was a guy in NJ back in 98 that had a Burnished Gold GS with : 20" AME Modelarts Chrome staggered, RMM aero kit, suspension, RMM mufflers, RMM strut bar, TVs, and stereo equipment. That GS was the first I'd ever seen modded and I swear when I bought my car I remembered how nice it looked. (funny thing is, I bumped into that guy at HIN last october, he still has it with new kit, turbo etc. He was like "man this thing is nice" LOL felt good!!!)

My 2nd Gen experience has been fun, but to be honest, I'm a little jaded. I really saved up and stock piled parts for a couple months and fully modded the car, but it has not been as emotional as my 1st Gen. I modded it so fast, that I kinda lost steam. (Concentrated on business instead). I guess saving up, and waiting, and reading is all the fun. I had been a CL member for a year by the time I got the 2nd Gen, so ALL of the mods were already figured out before I bought the car home!! LOL Had it not been for the NE nasty weather, I think the car would have been fully modded in about 2-3 months!! LOL

That being said, this is the first time I have made a car look EXACTLY the way I want it to, from the stance, to the aero, to the wheels, etc etc. This is another one that I just wax and stare, wax and stare, wax and stare! In all honesty, the 2nd Gen GS4 is like growing up rich, it just spoils you for the real world! Name another car with this speed, styling, luxury, PERCEIVED EQUITY, and aftermarket support at this price point...............you CAN'T. This one will be a tough act to follow for me.

I think the only way to get that "love affair" feeling is to get something thats a little beyond reach. So maybe some rich old lady will just give me a CL55!!! LOL

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 02-02-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 03:56 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If there are any specific 2nd gen questions, please ask them!

Now I share my 1st GS story. I remember going to the dealer for service and I go upstairs and there is a small brochure with 4 big **** headlights looking at me! It was the front end of the new GS and I will never forget the emotion it gave me. I thought it was a concept.

The first time I remember seeing it was downtown in Atlanta, a white one ZOOMED by me and I tried to catch up. I remember catching up at a light and drooling. The car was incredible.

The first time I drove one, I could not believe its velocity. And this was coming from a SC 400.

the first time i saw a SBM GS400 i was working at a car wash

there it was such a beautiful ca

r ...Chrome 17's Nav just everything

i fell in love that day and now i am a proud owner .....when i first drove it i was so amazed

at the power and the luxury ..not to mention all the looks

i know people are jumping to the 06 GS ...but i didnt get the same feeling i did when i saw the

the 98 GS

i love this car and everything it has brought me

great writeups Derrick and Mike

i wonder how long they will stick with the GS style
Old 02-02-05, 08:29 PM
kpuri
Rookie

This car will go down in history as the car that made the Germans take note!
4 door automatic that can do 0-60Mph in 5.7 sec stock, now thats one Wicked Lexus!!!
Old 02-02-05, 09:28 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default The King is alive and well...thanks

Can't know where you're going if you don't know where you have been.

Never forget your starting point. It is the compass to measure your ultimate destination.

I once dreamed of an E Class Merc (year 2001). The funny thing was, I never made it to the (Merc) dealer.

Stopped at Lexus Mission Viejo which was east side of 5 fwy vs. merc dealer (West side of fwy).

Drove the IS. Drove the GS 3. Drove the GS 4.

Bought the GS 400 CPO (98) later the next night.

I never looked back.

She (GS400) might be dated. Some if not most will argue, she hasn't lost a step. But make NO mistake, she owes no apologies.

Loyal, dependable, and most importantly continually providing real value and the Ulimate Pursuit of Perfection.

Doug

Proud Owner of 2 1998 GS 400's
Old 02-03-05, 01:15 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when I saw the 2nd Generation for the first time. I didn't like it at all. But at the time I was in my earlier 30's and Nissan Maxima was the car to have to pull the honies. Now 7 years later 4 dead transmission in a 1year old Acura TL, I was looking for another vehicle. I spotted a GS430, BLKCHERRY w/ Black Leather and I fell in love. Went to my nearest dealer and test drove it and Wow. Another year went by because there was no BlkCherry w/Blk Leather ML/Nav to be found on the east coast. I gave up!!!! Then a POPUP ad for Cars.com grabbed my attention and behold sitting on a lot in Pa was the car of my dreams 2001 GS430 w 10k miles asking 33,500.00. Drove there straight from work on a Friday night. 145 miles in 4 hours. First 2 hours spent in the rush hour traffic between Washington DC to Baltimore. But she was worth it. Going to miss 2nd GEN. But for now mine will be treated like a pristine MB 300SL Gullwing. A Goddess.

PS. Proof that some Pop up ADS can be good. LONG LIVE THE GS!!!!
Old 02-03-05, 01:19 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nate579
I Proof that some Pop up ADS can be good. LONG LIVE THE GS!!!!

Great story, enjoy the new car!!

Off topic: I was searching for deals on a cell phone, and a pop up led me to the best deal, I ended up buying the phone from them!! I could not believe that a pop up actually helped me!!
LOL
Old 02-03-05, 03:59 PM
soon2benags4
Rookie

I can remember the first time I saw that car, I had to have it. I was driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse at the time and there was nothing more that I wanted than the GS300, I couldn't even think about the GS400.

Then in 2002, I had resided to the fact that I just couldn't afford it and I was going to step into luxury by starting with an ES300 and working my way up the Lexus ladder. So I began to do my research and decided to purchase my ES300. I located the car I wanted online and was high-tailing it to the dealership to the next morning to purchase my car. I get there ask for the internet manager and she goes looking for the car. She comes back and tells me that they sold the car! WTF???? How could they? I was devastated. How would I ever get my hands on a GS if I couldn't even get in the starter car. She is apologizing profusely and asks me if she can show me anything else. I tell her there is nothing else that I wanted. She tells me to hold on a minute and has the porter bring around a 2002 GS300. They offer me a GS for the same price as the ES!

I can't tell you the big grin I had on my face after I closed the deal. I think it was something like this -> I tried to keep calm and cool while I was doing the deal, (even though I still screwed myself), but I wouldn't have traded that car for a thing.

My first and only mod, thanks to Manaray (what happened to him?) and DevilDogIS300 a wood and leather steering wheel and shifter!

And now as I prepare to purchase the 3rd gen, I have very fond memories of my baby, my first entry into Lexus Loyalty!
Old 02-03-05, 07:39 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had(still have) an ES for almost 5 yrs and when it was time for another ride,the GS jumped out at me all of a sudden. I actually used to think the ES looked better I didn't even know the GS was RWD until I started lookin for a car about 9 mos ago. Once I drove my first GS(2000 white plat ed.) I was hooked. Then after driving about 5 other GS3s I drove my 430 and it was all over.

btw-Sicklex-that's messed up about them only selling 197 97 GSes. When I saw you said that, I checked autotrader and there were only 6 1997 GSes available in the entire data base(any location) and they were pretty expensive.
Old 02-04-05, 12:27 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Default _

Fell in love sloooowly from teenage years getting to be an enthusiast
....realizing what a rare gem it is. Looks, ride, quality, RELIABILITY like no other. This isn't just a car...it's the car. - It's special.

No other considerations within budget of what would be worth...15K- ....

- rather drive this RWD beast through the massive snow banks which the snow plows never clean anways Than another a4- which is just ok.

- rather drive a falling apart poor abused gs PROUDLY then some other car which was trendy for the year... this car is a legend (like the legend)

- understandibly taken aback every time a gs is around eyeing the driver- this person must be cool thinking.... are they thinking like i'm thinking?!....

- not too mention those soo cool distinctive rear lights ecspecially at night, and the double headlights ecspecially with HIDs

....and escpecially IN BLACK

- just some unspoken thing about lexus and people who drive them feel like a family.
- it's about the passion, and enthusiast in you - not the image of sucess

- no wonder why japanese folks in japan love their aristo as much as they're selling in the past years. Stock, or modded- where boy are there options.

Dedicated for life. Here here. there there.

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 02-04-05 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 01:24 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

First Time I Heard About a GS
The first time I ever heard about the GS was in the MotorTrend magazine that declared it Import Car of the Year. At the time I liked Mustangs and there was a story about the Mustang v. Camaro v. Firebird so I bought the mag. I read the story several times and as usual I read from cover to cover. For some reason I was instantly struck by the picture of the blue GS4. I took note of the GS because it had more horsepower than my Mustang, had a great 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, had brakes that were on par with the Vette, and even beat the Vette in the slalom. I also remember seeing the cutout picture of the interior of the GS that showed the four airbags, soft looking leather, and the Lexus golf bag in the trunk. But of course, it was a $48k car and was a Lexus (the Lexus brand was foreign to me at the time). So, I kept a mental note of the GS.

Searching for a Nice 4-Door
Around 1999 my Mustang 5.0 was retired. I wanted a nice four door car because there was not enough room for my friends, I wanted a reliable car so it had to be Japanese, I wanted a more tolerable ride, and a car that I thought looked nice. So I had my mind set on either a mid 90s Camry or Maxima. I was looking through ads and saw a nice used Maxima at a dealer in Thousand Oaks. I also saw a nice used Camry at a dealership in Long Beach. I thought the Maxima was the sportier of the two so I headed out to Thousand Oaks. That morning there happened to be a large brush fire that was near the 101 freeway so it was closed down. So I thought that since I'm out I might as well check out the Camry. When I got there it was sold so I was a little disappointed. I told the guy what I was looking for and he showed me a 93 GS300. I wasn't too interested but when I sat inside it was so nice: full leather, power windows and locks, nice paint, a lot of room, sunroof, good stereo, and decent power. So I pulled the trigger and bought it. Then I found my way to Club Lexus.

Time to Retire My 1st Gen GS300
While being an active member of the 1st gen forum I would always visit the 2nd gen forum and the racing forum. I remember reading stories about the GS4 beating cars left and right. I also noticed that there were very few problems with the car. After spending a few years having fun with my GS3 it was time to retire her. There was only one choice: GS4. I searched through the 2nd gen forum for things to look out for when buying a used GS4 and what colors I liked (they all looked nice to me). I searched for a month and then spotted an Alpine Silver 99 GS4 with low miles for a great price. It had chrome 17s (which I liked so much), HIDs, Nakamichi, heated seats, tinted windows, and no spoiler. I immediately went to the dealer and checked it out. The car was *clean*. When I took a test drive the first thing I noticed was how solid the car was, it was vault-like when you close the doors. And the power just blew me away. I bought the car last October and have been so happy.

And to bring this full circle, I ordered a brand new copy the MotorTrend magazine where I first saw and fell in love with the GS4

Last edited by LB Lex; 02-04-05 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 05:12 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The first time I saw the second gen GS was in late 97 "2 years after I graduated college". I was working as a consultant for a company called Vanstar. I use to travel a lot to various client sites in my 1995 prelude 4ws "great car BTW" The second day at my new client site which was Merck. I am looking for a parking spot in this huge lot. Everything was full so I started to go towards the back of the lot and BAMMM! A car that I never seen before was taking up 2 parking spaces. It was a silver GS400 with black interior, spoiler, 17inch wheels, and dual exhausts, new tags etc. My mouth was on the floor just drooling over it. I remember walking around it at least 4 times and peaking inside. I even came out during my lunch to see it again. I researched it a bit and found it to be 300hp and was quoted in many car mags as the fastest 4 door production car at the time. This whole incident sparked my curiosity and I was even more intrigued. After about a week, I went to a Lexus dealer to see it in person. What I saw next at the dealer froze me in my footsteps and I got that "deer in the headlight look". It was a spectra blue GS 400 with tan interior, spoiler, HID's, 17inch wheels…loaded. No joke, I was looking at this car from a distance for like 5 mins. I was actually afraid to go up to the car to see it in person. I never seen a blue color like this on any car. It was perfect until I actually saw the price tag which was like 52k. I remember telling myself there was no way I be able to afford this….but one day…some day I will buy it. Those dreams came true in 2001 when I picked this exact car up with 27k miles. My only regret was not getting it with NAV. I passed up a black GS with NAV just to get the blue color that I fell in love with back in late 1997.

Will I get the new 2006 GS? I don't think so at least not yet. I still have to see it in person, and if it makes me feel like I did when I first saw the second gen GS than possibly I will buy it used. Why get the new GS when I know I will be able to outrun the new 430? From what I see, I do like the new cabin redesign and AWD feature but only to V6 engine. If they possibly brought AWD to the big V-8 that would be more my car.
Old 02-04-05, 05:19 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

These are the 2 orginal pictures that made my mind up about the car.

1st picture
Attached Thumbnails Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!-006431-e.jpg  
Old 02-04-05, 05:20 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

2nd picture
Attached Thumbnails Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!-006486-e.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ode to the 2nd gen GS!! The king is dead, long live the king!!!