GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just took the GS4 out in a Minnesota snowstorm

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 01:49 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just took the GS4 out in a Minnesota snowstorm

We're getting our first real snowstorm of the winter here and my first time out with the GS400 in the snow. I must say I'm glad i'm back home now although it took me 3 tries to get up my driveway (and it's barely angled!!). VSC was going crazy and it took forever to get rolling from a stop. I will say however, i was having a easier time than the guy in front of me with a Z28, he was almost doing 360's trying to get going. This was in about 3" of snow with my "winter setup" (stock 17" chromies with yokohama tires). Think I will be needing snow tires
Old 01-21-05, 02:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man you must be a brave man
Old 01-21-05, 04:24 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
man you must be a brave man
Agree. When it snows out here, I leave the gs home and take the es to work.
Old 01-21-05, 08:13 PM
marcus
Driver

BIG snow storm almost on us in southwest lower Miichigan.... 10 to 12 inches of snow predicted by 6pm Saturday night.

I am running a Kuhmo Winter tire (16 inch). The treads are "siped" and I would not be able to get around without them. I have 35 psi in the front tires and 30 psi in the rear...... almost looks like the tires are a little flat, but with this setup they grip fairly well .... even on ice!
Old 01-21-05, 09:40 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Wink Brave or Crazed....

Wow you guys have some guts... I live in Denver, and my GS4 has 16's with Yokohama Ice tires on them. They work fine unless your attempting to race Audi's and other 4WD vehicles to the next intersection when it is snowing, then VCS says even with the Snow setting on.

Personally I think Snow Tires are a must if you have any type of serious snow accum, unless you plan on playing bumper cars with your pretty toy.

This is my first winter here with the GS and I have spent 4 months now driving in the occasional 3-7 in of snow to and from work (15 miles). I must say I am surprised. Its not as out of control as I thought it was going to be.

And Frankly I love putting my ski rack on my GS and cruzing past people on my way to the ski resorts. I cant speak for what the car would be like with 17" all seasons in the snow, but my 16's with ice tires are "manageable". The car works with snows if you take your time and be gentle. But snows are a must in my opinion.
Old 01-21-05, 09:47 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Yea you can say that again this is probally the worst can that I have ever driven in the snow. It's like a mission with no ending the car goes where ever it wants even in the snow mode and vsc off just plain crazy . But that's life in a GS4
Old 01-22-05, 01:35 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I live in the Great White North, and the GS400 is as good as any car I've driven in the snow as long as you use winter tires and have the Snow Mode turned on. It's a very, very competent and safe car. The VSC helps , and really prevents 360's. I'm very pleased with how easy the GS is to drive in the snow after reading several negative posts about it. I suspect it was more driver error than a difficult to drive car. I have no worries whatsoever in the GS. It's a stupendous car in the dry, and an impressive one in the snow. I think it's a fine, luxurious year round ride.
Old 01-22-05, 06:58 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

we're gettin snow here in about 2 hours in NYC....slated to get up to 28 INCHES!!!!!!!!

I am confident I will have NO problems with my GS with it's snows....
Old 01-22-05, 08:59 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
we're gettin snow here in about 2 hours in NYC....slated to get up to 28 INCHES!!!!!!!!

I am confident I will have NO problems with my GS with it's snows....
If you get 28", I sure you'll be just fine in the gs ... as long as you stay parked or get behind some snow plow
Old 01-22-05, 10:44 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

We're having the same snow storm here in chicago and it snowed about 8 inches last night and is still coming down now. My GS is my only car and though it doesn't drive like a FWD in the snow by any stretch of the imagination, it is competent and pretty safe if you use snow tires, common sense and snow mode to keep from spinning at take-off. Thank god though for my Blizzaks.
Old 01-22-05, 01:47 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rheiy
If you get 28", I sure you'll be just fine in the gs ... as long as you stay parked or get behind some snow plow

lol....there are drivers, and ppl meant to be driven....

I suggest you find a chauffeur
Old 01-22-05, 01:58 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
We're having the same snow storm here in chicago and it snowed about 8 inches last night and is still coming down now. My GS is my only car and though it doesn't drive like a FWD in the snow by any stretch of the imagination, it is competent and pretty safe if you use snow tires, common sense and snow mode to keep from spinning at take-off. Thank god though for my Blizzaks.
I lived in Chicago for many years. The only way to go back then was studded snow tires for a rear wheel drive car. The next best thing is regular snow tires but I have not tried them on my GS. I
thought with the minimal amount of snow we get here in NC, that all season would be ok --- guess I'm wrong. With the pilot sport a/s, the car handles like crap in the snow. There's no comparison between the handling of my wife's es 300 vs my gs in snow. My wife's es can get up the driveway and make through on snow covered streets that my GS can't. One thing about Chicago is that they plow and use salt. Here, that's not done. The interstates get attention while the rest of the streets are ignored.
Old 01-22-05, 04:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
But that's life in a GS4
Wrong dude. That's life in a car with summer tires. Put your tires on ANY car - including a 4 wheel drive one - and you will have issues beyond belief.

Put all seasons on or better yet snows and you will not have issues.
Old 01-22-05, 06:49 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile snow tires

My experience last year was that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are fantastic tires on dry and wet pavement. But on snow or ice don't even bother going.

I've got my set of 16" Blizzak WS-50 Snow & Ice tires for when it snows. Last winter I put them on for our (Seattle) worst storm in 6 winters. My car went thru ice, slush and deep snow. I live on a steep hill that people were riding saucers down and I went up it. People were looking at me like why is he even trying to go up this hill. Never once did I get stuck and I went out looking for places to practice.

This car with Blizzaks, goes as good on snow and ice as my old 1995 Camry with front wheel drive & Blizzaks did, and maybe better.

These tires work fantastic on ice as slick as a hockey rink. The traction has to be experienced to be believed . The only downside is the traction is so good you could get stopped for going to fast by some cop that does not understand how good these tires are. You really do have great control.

It gets frustrating when you get stuck behind someone with regular tires as all you want to do is pass them. I found myself going 50-60mph on ice covered roads without any problems.

Get some really good snow and ice tires, and you will look forward to being able to go out into the snow and ice instead of staying home. Stop worrying about getting stuck or sliding into something. If these tires save you just once from sliding into some immovable object they will have paid for themselves.

Get out in the snow with your GS and enjoy yourself. Rearwheel drive in the snow is way more fun than front wheel drive. Find an empty parking lot and spin some doughnuts, its a blast!

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 01-22-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-22-05, 07:30 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

3Dog,

I feel exactly like you! I'm not fazed at all by tons of snow. I'd rather take my GS through the wrost snow than my fiancess FWD Alero. The GS (with snow mode and VSC) is as sure footed as it gets in a car without AWD. I too am extremely impressed with the traction the GS gets...I use Dunlop Graspics...

Quick Reply: Just took the GS4 out in a Minnesota snowstorm