GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Wheels are ON!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 08:38 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New Wheels are ON!

Purchasing the L-Tuned badges this week to finish my L-Tuned conversion...

Old 01-02-05, 09:13 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'm not a fan of the wheels. Car is nice though.
Old 01-02-05, 09:18 PM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

I really like how much sportier it makes the car look VS the Chrome 17's... of course that is what I was after along with having an authentic L-Tuned vehicle...

They look really nice in person... the paint job on the wheel is very nice... Did have 1 wheel of 5 shipped with a factory defect... actual gouges in 2 places inside the spokes... TRD painted right over them... LOL also had 1 Pilot Sport tire come with a factory defect hole in the sidewall... calling Darrell tomorrow...
Old 01-02-05, 09:45 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really a fan of those wheels either, but everything else I give
Old 01-02-05, 10:29 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

sweet lookin wheels sir! Sorry for thread crashing but is that also an l turned grill? and do the 98-04 gs's come with different type of factory spoilers? The one where there is mucho room between the actual spoiler and the trunk like the one you have and one where there is less space between the actual spoiler and the trunk?
Old 01-02-05, 11:11 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, very clean. One of my favorite colors!
Old 01-03-05, 04:30 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vinh
sweet lookin wheels sir! Sorry for thread crashing but is that also an l turned grill? and do the 98-04 gs's come with different type of factory spoilers? The one where there is mucho room between the actual spoiler and the trunk like the one you have and one where there is less space between the actual spoiler and the trunk?
That is the factory spoiler and that is the L-Tuned grill.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Old 01-03-05, 06:41 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i like the ltuned wheels alot more that the factory chrome 17s... for a few reasons.. one being they make it look sportier and 2 you dont see them much., i see chrome 17s on all the GS around town
LOOKS GOOD
Old 01-03-05, 06:49 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Looks good, can't wait to see what you got next

Don't forget to update your sig
Old 01-03-05, 07:14 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 00lexondub
i like the ltuned wheels alot more that the factory chrome 17s... for a few reasons.. one being they make it look sportier and 2 you dont see them much., i see chrome 17s on all the GS around town
LOOKS GOOD
Another good point. I have about 2 Cinnabar GS's in Brandon with the Chrome 17's... I have not seen 1 GS with these wheels yet in the Tampa\Brandon area.

I really think the 18 Salinas would look a lot better but I don't like the cost of replacement tires for those sizes and widths. Tire Rack pricing isn't horrible but if I had to pick up a tire locally in a bind it's big $$ if I could even find one in the size/width.

I have found that in my old age (34) I am just to practical to want to mess with the staggered 18 setup.

I was really lucky and found a tire shop nearby not only willing to do the work but they did a great job and took very good care with the install not to mess up the finish on the wheel. The balance job they did was also awesome but might have to do a lot with the quality of the wheel and tire (Pilot Sports)

The ride is much smoother now than it was with the wore down Toyo's and much quieter also.

Thanks goes to Darrel Diller @ Sewell for hooking me up with the whole enchilada and awesome service once again. Look in the marketplace threads for my little write up on the latest e-mail I received from Darrel about taking care of the defective merchandise that came with my shipment. His customer service really is THE BEST!

Old 01-03-05, 08:05 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

I like the new look, I think the new wheels add a nice touch of class to what was already a very smooth and classy car. Good work
Old 01-03-05, 08:50 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I was really lucky and found a tire shop nearby not only willing to do the work but they did a great job and took very good care with the install not to mess up the finish on the wheel. The balance job they did was also awesome but might have to do a lot with the quality of the wheel and tire (Pilot Sports)
Congrats on the wheels.

I thought the combo came mounted and balanced. What else did you have to do?
Old 01-03-05, 09:05 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

It does, I goofed and only ordered the wheels first and they were already on the way when I switched to the combo. Darrel was willing to take back the wheels and then resend the combo but I decided to just get them mounted myself.

Does anyone know if Big Brakes fit under these wheels? There is a significant amount of space now between the wheel and factory caliper... the wheels look like they are high disk.

Also, my chromes will probably go up for sale but I already having a waiting list...

1. ChuckB
2. DjFergi

Chuck lives close so there would be no shipping, if someone else willing to pick up from the Tampa loacation is interested they will get bumped up the list since there would be no shipping involved. Again, 2 of my 4 Chrome wheels need to be sanded in the inside lip to seal better since they are slowly leaking air. 2 have no leaking issues. The spare has some cosmetic damage... but it is the spare... however the previous owner had it in the trunk with no tire so I am not even sure if it would hold air. I am going to take a picture of the inside lip of that wheel to show the area where the Chrome needs sanding to see what everyone thinks.

The old tires have a little bit of tread left but all probably need to be replaced.
Old 01-03-05, 09:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
Does anyone know if Big Brakes fit under these wheels? There is a significant amount of space now between the wheel and factory caliper... the wheels look like they are high disk.
There is a slim chance if TRD/L-Tuned did their homework with this one like they did with the Salinas. I would download the template dor the 332 kit from StopTech and test it out. If these fit, then you will be OK with the Rotora 4-pistons too. The other kits are bigger and usually come with slightly larger rotors so it is more iffy. Start with the StopTech template and see how it goes. Let us know.
Old 01-03-05, 10:19 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Thanks NEO. Where do I download the template from... their website?

I will do this soon and let everyone know but it looks like there is close to 2 inches of space now between the wheel and brake...

Quick Reply: New Wheels are ON!