GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

newbie with a GS430, cancel my extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 07:32 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with a GS430, cancel my extended warranty?

Hello Forum,
I've been lurking here for the last few weeks, reading up on taking care of my new to me 2002 GS430, with 17" wheels, ML/Nav. It had 70K miles (in 30 months of service) no factory warranty, not certified. I've modded up an Impala SS (the ride I replaced) and my 96 LT4 Vette. Looking at the Lexus, it looks like I can do most of the work myself.

Car rides great I love the accelleration of this VVT 4.3 V8. Handling is great!

I bought an extended warranty agreement from Lexus for $1700, 24 months or 30K miles, $0 deductiable. I looked at the coverage and it looks like it doesn't really cover much of what will fail. Reading the post on this forum, it looks like a 2002 GS430 doesn't have any major issues.

Now for my question, should I cancel this warranty and get my money back?
Old 12-31-04, 08:06 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

assuming u bought extended warranty from lexus, theres i think 3 types of extended warrranty.. the platnium extended warranty only covers mechanical problems (i.e. motor, tranny, etc.) but not electrical (i.e. radio, gauges, lighting)

its really up to you about getting a refund on the warranty, i have not gone in to get my refund yet but i will before the extended warranty kicks in.. I already mention it to the financial office at my dealer.
Old 12-31-04, 08:48 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
Hello Forum,
Handling is great!
That's got to be a first on this forum.

If you plan to mod the engine i would say you don't need the extended waranty.
Old 01-01-05, 06:13 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alexulan
If you plan to mod the engine i would say you don't need the extended waranty.
I don't plan on any engine mods, I'm keeping this car stock
Old 01-01-05, 07:22 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Vette Boy, this sort of thread always leads to posts saying something like: "Thank God for my extended warranty because otherwise I'd have been out $xyz when the abcd blew up. I'd definitely keep it!!!!"

And there is something to be said for extra peace of mind. But keep in mind that these warranties are not sold by folks who expect to lose money on them. This is another cash cow for the dealers (which is why they are actually sold by the finance guy, not the car salesman) and obviously, most people don't need their warranty most of the time. If only one person in a thousand utilizes the extended warranty, THAT person is the one who will post, not the 999 who didn't use/need it.

In general, the GS is a tank. I'd save the money for mods. And welcome to CL!
Old 01-01-05, 08:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Vette Boy, this sort of thread always leads to posts saying something like: "Thank God for my extended warranty because otherwise I'd have been out $xyz when the abcd blew up. I'd definitely keep it!!!!"

And there is something to be said for extra peace of mind. But keep in mind that these warranties are not sold by folks who expect to lose money on them. This is another cash cow for the dealers (which is why they are actually sold by the finance guy, not the car salesman) and obviously, most people don't need their warranty most of the time. If only one person in a thousand utilizes the extended warranty, THAT person is the one who will post, not the 999 who didn't use/need it.

The GS is definitely a tank. I would cancel the extended warranty.

When I got my 99 GS400 back in November of 2002, I declined getting the extended warranty even though I knew the standard warranty was running out one month later.

Lexus cars in general and in particular the GS are built to last a lifetime!
Old 01-01-05, 08:43 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

If only one person in a thousand utilizes the extended warranty, THAT person is the one who will post, not the 999 who didn't use/need it.

I've been lurking on the Infinity and Lexus forums for several weeks. I've been on Corvette Forum for the last 5 yrs. I have learned that if a car has issues, these owner's forums will have thread covering them. While my Vette has big issues with ignitions, H2O pumps and auto trans that are well documented with specific threads, the Infnity forums document less than steller longivity, it amazes me how trouble free the Lexus is as documented here.

Time to order the Lexus service manuals and buy a scan tool for Toyotas.
Old 01-01-05, 08:49 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hameed
The GS is definitely a tank. I would cancel the extended warranty.
You guys are convincing me to bag the warranty. I could use the $1700 for something like mods...no, no, no! I must resist swaybars, braces and coilovers. No new wheels, LSD or PI torque converter, MUST RESIST!

Seriously, I'd like to keep the nice ride and quiet cruising. I modded up an Impala SS (runs a 5.7 0-60 and a 14.2 quarter), but it is harsh! My GS430 runs just as fast and it's sooooo freaking smooth, I'd hate to ruin that aspect of my GS. Besides, my wife will kill me if I "ruin another nice car".
Old 01-01-05, 09:01 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

You guys are convincing me to bag the warranty. I could use the $1700 for something like mods...no, no, no! I must resist swaybars, braces and coilovers. No new wheels, LSD or PI torque converter, MUST RESIST!
You're heading in the right direction bro!

Seriously, I'd like to keep the nice ride and quiet cruising. I modded up an Impala SS (runs a 5.7 0-60 and a 14.2 quarter), but it is harsh! My GS430 runs just as fast and it's sooooo freaking smooth, I'd hate to ruin that aspect of my GS. Besides, my wife will kill me if I "ruin another nice car".
You want to maintain the smooth ride of your GS?

I have only two things to say to you my friend:

1. Get the Tein CS coilover suspension. Lower your car and improve it's handling in leaps and bounds and still have a very comfortable and quiet ride.

2. Get the PI TC and Supra TT 3.76 LSD.

That's it! Doing those three mods will completely transform your car into an even faster, way better handling and very comfortable (almost stock comfort) beast!
Old 01-01-05, 09:18 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

1. Get the Tein CS coilover suspension. Lower your car and improve it's handling in leaps and bounds and still have a very comfortable and quiet ride.
I worry about lowering a daily driver in Chicago. I have to get to work when it snows.
2. Get the PI TC and Supra TT 3.76 LSD.
I'm doing 2200 rpm @ 70mph, with a 3.76 I'd be doing ~2600 rpm, is it noticiable? I am tempted to do an LSD and PI TC...but no mods!
That's it! Doing those three mods will completely transform your car into an even faster, way better handling and very comfortable (almost stock comfort) beast!
Would you do the coilovers before swaybars? On my Vette and Impala I did swaybars, much better handling, no hit on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
Old 01-01-05, 09:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I worry about lowering a daily driver in Chicago. I have to get to work when it snows.
The lowering is variable and if you lower it approximately by 2 inches all around, it still won't be a problem in snow.

I'm doing 2200 rpm @ 70mph, with a 3.76 I'd be doing ~2600 rpm, is it noticiable? I am tempted to do an LSD and PI TC...but no mods!
It is noticeable if you look at the tach. Otherwise, you won't notice it. The car is very quiet anyway.

Would you do the coilovers before swaybars? On my Vette and Impala I did swaybars, much better handling, no hit on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
Yes, I would do Coilovers before sway bars. I said that because you mentioned that you wanted to maintain the smooth ride and comfort. I specifically mentioned the Tein CS coilover as it has a rubber upper mount that apparently cuts down on noise and it is quite comfortable.

If you had mentioned that handling was more important than a smooth ride, I would have said that you should do the LCB's, STB's and stiffer sway bars first.
Old 01-01-05, 10:30 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

If you had mentioned that handling was more important than a smooth ride, I would have said that you should do the LCB's, STB's and stiffer sway bars first.
You're saying thicker swaybars effect the GS's NVH negatively? They were some of the first mods I did to my Impala and Vette, didn't make a noticible difference in NVH on those cars. But the ride was never "smooth" on my Impala
Old 01-01-05, 12:29 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

There are several sets of bars to replace the OEM bars; the stiffer TRD set will slightly increase impact harshness over bumps/potholes, something that I know you have a few of in Chicago. (I have a friend up there who says that you only have two seasons: "winter" and "road repair".)

But I agree with Hameed as far as the coilovers first. Even the most comfortable Teins offer signifcant improvement in performance compared to the stock springs and shocks. Stock, there is a queasy combination of insufficient spring rate and damping that leads to a boingy, pogo-y ride over whoop-de-dos and actually makes the body feel as if it is moving around on top of the suspension. it is possible to maintain the comfort you want but also achieve a much greater feel of suspension control.

And if the previous owner has not switched from the stock Bridgestones, there are also MUCH better options in that category in all performance aspects!!!!

BTW, I'm a 50 y/o physician who likes his comfort rather than one of the 25 y/o ironbutts who can live with 1" of suspension travel in the name of handling, plus I also have one of those somewhat disapproving females in the household.
Old 01-01-05, 02:57 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

...it is possible to maintain the comfort you want but also achieve a much greater feel of suspension control.
When you say, "maintain the comfort you want..." is there a sacrifice in ride for this greater feel/control? Esp wrt coilovers (I notice you don't have them).

And if the previous owner has not switched from the stock Bridgestones, there are also MUCH better options in that category in all performance aspects!!!!
I hear ya there, I bought my GS a few weeks ago with 70K miles on it. The tires are newer ContiExtreme ~$110/each. I'll wait until spring and slap a set of Michelin Pilots.

have one of those somewhat disapproving females in the household.
I can't really say my wife's wrong. This is a really nice car, I have my Vette for mods. 400RWHP in a 3300 lbs car is fun too :cheers:
Old 01-01-05, 03:17 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

VB, I personally felt that the L-Tunes were more comfortable, in that the body and the suspension now seemed to act all of a piece where the stock suspension literally felt almost disconnected frm the body motion of the vehicle. But no, I didn't feel as if there was any deterioration in the "comfort" aspect as it would be defined by, say, SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED. As far as no coilovers, that's a combination of several factors tho not lack of interest.

Can't comment firsthand on coilovers since I don't have them, but there is available a greater range of performance/lowering/comfort ratios. So, thanks to the suspension gurus here on CL, you should be able to have the best of both worlds!!

Quick Reply: newbie with a GS430, cancel my extended warranty?