GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

buzzing, rattle noise???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 10:57 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buzzing, rattle noise???

ok, i tried to do some research on this, but there were no solutions. well, i have this problem with this buzzing/rattle noise from the engine at a low RPM. i dont know what it is, but i wanna ask if you guys and see if anyone had fixed this problem before i take my car to the dealer. please help. its makin me paranoid!!! i dont know if its serious or not.
Old 12-08-04, 11:14 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Try to pin point where the noise is coming from.
Old 12-09-04, 04:16 AM
will33184
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had that problem and it turned out when i switched batteries and isntalled my system, the wire was hitting against somthing.

alot of times, itll be a peice of metal hiting a peice of plastic or a peice of plastic hitting a peice of plastic, if ur car doesnt idle worse cuz of it or perform differently, i wouldnt be worried

low rpm as in 0mph, no aircon, brakes applied in drive?

or low rpm as in when ur driving and its 1.5-2k already
Old 12-09-04, 05:39 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with rgarjr. Can you be more specific on the noise you're hearing? Does the noise only occur while the car is sitting idle? There are literally many possibilities for this type of problem.

I can tell you from my experience that when I had a buzzing noise in my ES, it turned out that the shift solenoids in my transmission were malfunctioning, which unfortunately led to a dead transmission. I'd say that'd be the worse-case scenario for what the buzzing noise could be coming from.
Old 12-09-04, 08:30 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

it only happens when i gently hit the gas at 1.5-2 rRPM's. for example, when i you get to a parking garage and you got to be at a low speed, then when you come up to the turn to go up the next level and you give a little gas. its a that speed and acceleration i here that "buzzing/rattling metal noise" in the engine.
Old 12-09-04, 08:59 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally found my rattling noise.... it happend since I put in my Optima Battery.... since the battery was smaller I took off the plastic battery holder so that metal threaded rod that sticks up to hold the battery holder in place has been rattling against the bulkhead which has been driving me nuts!!!
Old 12-09-04, 10:43 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

mine comes from the engine itself.
Old 12-09-04, 01:46 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similiar noise. The fuel line sheild was vibrating a bracket on the firewall right below the master cylinder. The bracket just hangs there as does not attach to anything. If it is on your just bend it out of the bracket out of the way.
Old 12-09-04, 03:10 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
I had a similiar noise. The fuel line sheild was vibrating a bracket on the firewall right below the master cylinder. The bracket just hangs there as does not attach to anything. If it is on your just bend it out of the bracket out of the way.
cool, ill try that
Old 12-09-04, 05:18 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

I hear the same thing when I warm the car up for about 10 second then it disappears. When accerating I can hear it sometimes but stops at about 30mph. How do I find the fuel line sheild im an idiot when it comes to the mechancis of a car.

Last edited by BlkOnBlkGS; 12-09-04 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 07:47 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by antbo
cool, ill try that
well, let me revised this. let me ask you a question? if it could be that, then why does it do it at certain RPM's/speeds. shouldnt it always be rattling no matter what or rattling out of no where??? mmmm.....i dont know
Old 12-09-04, 09:30 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I had a rattle/engine tick that drove me crazy for the first year I owned the car. Finally I left it at the dealer and refused to pick it up until it was fixed.

Turns out it was some of the lines going through the firewall (maybe brake lines?) - at cold temps they would rub up against each other and create a tickiing noise. I tell you, I like the car SO much better now that this is fixed.

BTW, the fix was to insulate the lines from each other - for all I know they used electrical tape to do this.

Last edited by doug_999; 12-09-04 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 05:53 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine would only do it the first 5 minutes in the morning when the car was cold. I am sure it has something to do with thermal expansion. I have heard the same sound in other gs at different speeds and rpm's. My lexus dealer solved it immediately, they knew about or had seen it before. If you are under warranty it may be worth telling them to find it, hopefully they will have someone that has fixed it before. If not open your hood. Find the master cylinder. Look down the firewall behind the master cylinder and look at all the fuel and brake lines. You will need a flashlight. There is a bracket just after the lines bend with the firewall and go toward the rear of the vehicle. bend it away from the fuel/brake lines.
Old 12-10-04, 02:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Mine would only do it the first 5 minutes in the morning when the car was cold. I am sure it has something to do with thermal expansion. I have heard the same sound in other gs at different speeds and rpm's. My lexus dealer solved it immediately, they knew about or had seen it before. If you are under warranty it may be worth telling them to find it, hopefully they will have someone that has fixed it before. If not open your hood. Find the master cylinder. Look down the firewall behind the master cylinder and look at all the fuel and brake lines. You will need a flashlight. There is a bracket just after the lines bend with the firewall and go toward the rear of the vehicle. bend it away from the fuel/brake lines.
Damn you XYZLexus! Where were you when I had mine in the shop for a month?

I'm betting that is the exact issue I had and the exact fix they did.
Old 12-10-04, 10:10 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

Where is the master cylinder located? Is it right, left or Inbetween something?

Quick Reply: buzzing, rattle noise???