GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with new project

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-04, 01:00 PM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with new project

Hi guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself as I have been browsing the site, but haven't really done any mods as of yet. Right now the car is a bone stock '99 GS300, but without a doubt the mods will be coming and the project will be done by the end of Nov.

Having said that I needed some input on a couple of issues. First off my question pertains to the wheels. I will be doing 20's, but was wondering how aggressive I can get on the widths for the front and rears. If it makes any difference I am setting my sights on Lowenhart LD5's @ $5500 including tires. Seems like nobody is really complaining about the ride quality coupled with the Tien CS coilovers, which is also on my list.

Next for me is the topic of the exhaust. Are there any dual tip exhausts that anyone knows of made for the GS 300? I think TTE makes one but haven't heard anything good or bad about it. Junction Produce seems to have one as well, but to be honest and in a subject way, I am not very keen on the way it looks. The tips are a bit to "square-ish" in my opinion.

Thanks and I will update as the project comes along.

James
Old 11-02-04, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for the wheels, you can fit 9 in the front and 11 or even 11.5 (i think) in the back if you get the right offset.

for exhaust, tte and manaray (rare stuff) are the only two with quad tips i have seen so far. jp has one, but i thought that's for the LS?
Old 11-02-04, 02:15 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Win Racing kit requires a dual tip for each muffler opening. Their website does not list the exhaust that is on their demo car though. They just said to inquire for more info.

Old 11-03-04, 01:20 PM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

I've actually decided to get the LSportline Exhaust. Several members on the site have it. It's the one with the little holes in the tips. I was also told that this exhaust was no longer made. Is this correct? Any leads on where I can get one?

Also how is the sound and performance (for those who have it on the GS300)?

Thanks.

James
Old 11-09-04, 07:54 PM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

I just returned from the first part of the mods. Tonight, Lowenhart 20x9's and 20x10's were installed. And my initial reactions were mixed. Appearance wise they look great. But there is a small issue of rubbing against a screw from part of the suspension arms. I will have to bring the car back to the wheel shop tomorrow where they will "sand" it down. Comfort wise, the car doesn't bounce or translate as much sound into the cabin as I thought it would. In fact if there was any deterioration in ride quality, I couldn't notice it. BUT, the driving feel compared to the stock 16" (GS300 here), is a feeling of a rather heavy front wheel drive car. I don't know how to explain it, but the steering just plain feels heavy. Certainly not as responsive. And while I did not notice any braking performance degrades, I did notice a slower pick up as if the car was under powered for wheels this size.

Curious, but does anyone else notice these changes from just the wheels alone?

By tomorrow morning, I will have the Tien CS coilovers installed, while the bodykit goes to the shop.

Last edited by reminder99; 11-09-04 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 08:10 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i would seriously test fit the kit before i sent it to the body shop for paint
Old 11-09-04, 08:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by reminder99
Hi guys,

I just returned from the first part of the mods. Tonight, Lowenhart 20x9's and 20x10's were installed. And my initial reactions were mixed. Appearance wise they look great. But there is a small issue of rubbing against a screw from part of the suspension arms. I will have to bring the car back to the wheel shop tomorrow where they will "sand" it down. Comfort wise, the car doesn't bounce or translate as much sound into the cabin as I thought it would. In fact if there was any deterioration in ride quality, I couldn't notice it. BUT, the driving feel compared to the stock 16" (GS300 here), is a feeling of a rather heavy front wheel drive car. I don't know how to explain it, but the steering just plain feels heavy. Certainly not as responsive. And while I did not notice any braking performance degrades, I did notice a slower pick up as if the car was under powered for wheels this size.

By tomorrow morning, I will have the Tien CS coilovers installed, while the bodykit goes to the shop.
umm, i think you are talking about the front suspension that you are hitting right? if so, i think the offset on the wheel is too high, causing the 9" wheel to be too inset and hit the bolt inside.
Old 11-09-04, 09:09 PM
Neo
The One

BUT, the driving feel compared to the stock 16" (GS300 here), is a feeling of a rather heavy front wheel drive car. I don't know how to explain it, but the steering just plain feels heavy. Certainly not as responsive. And while I did not notice any braking performance degrades, I did notice a slower pick up as if the car was under powered for wheels this size.

The weight of the wheel/tire + increased rotational mass could be an issue. Once the Teins are on, you'll get a little back since they are lighter than the OEM shocks and springs. You can also upgrade the brakes to an aftermarket setup (less weight) to reduce the unsprung weight too. The GS300 are nice cars but they are not known for its power.

Beyond this, FI is your other option.

Last edited by Neo; 11-10-04 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 11:37 PM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

Rominl,

I think you're right. I had done some further inspection and it does seem like the screw is getting rubbed on. I'm guessing some others from the forum have had this problem? Seems like on 20's, the x9 width on the fronts are pretty common.

Has anyone else had this problem? And is "sanding" down the screw a bad thing?

Neo,

I'm looking forward to it. Believe me the difference in feel is very noticeable. It actually feels like I'm driving an X5 (or the effort needed to steer the X5).

PS - how does one put pics up?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by reminder99; 11-09-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-10-04, 01:01 AM
Neo
The One

how does one put pics up?

Thanks everyone.
All you'll need to know:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=127587

Old 11-10-04, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Rominl,

I think you're right. I had done some further inspection and it does seem like the screw is getting rubbed on. I'm guessing some others from the forum have had this problem? Seems like on 20's, the x9 width on the fronts are pretty common.

Has anyone else had this problem? And is "sanding" down the screw a bad thing?

Neo,

I'm looking forward to it. Believe me the difference in feel is very noticeable. It actually feels like I'm driving an X5 (or the effort needed to steer the X5).

PS - how does one put pics up?

Thanks everyone.
neo already told you how to post pics, so that's cool.

for the wheel. actually i haven't encountered one before. 9 isn't the most common setup for the front here as far as i know. most people have 8.5 in the front i believe. 9 for the front is ok, but it's tight and you have to be careful on the offset. it can't be too high. i think 40 is stretching it already. i bet you have offset higher than that.

i am not sure about sanding that bolt though, that's the bolt to tie up the upper control arm? (i forgot), and if so then it's too important to alter imho. if i were you, i would just find out what offset you got in the front now and just get a spacer to fix the problem
Old 11-10-04, 02:05 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

ya i got 20x9 and it was close but sincei had 38 ofset it was fine .. i bet you are running mid 40 ofset whih would cause you to rub ... the wheel shop should o kon about this.
Old 11-10-04, 07:53 AM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

rominl,

I think you're right. They are trying to sand down that bolt. Curious, and I know it is bad, but what are the reprecussions of doing that?
Attached Thumbnails Need help with new project-dsc00783.jpg  
Old 11-10-04, 07:54 AM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

Pic 1
Attached Thumbnails Need help with new project-dsc00782.jpg  
Old 11-10-04, 07:55 AM
reminder99
Driver School Candidate

Pic 2