GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Which one to buy?
99 GS300 With navigation, heated seats and HID Lights
85.37%
03 Accord V6 Navigation, Leather, and Heated Seats
14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

99 GS300 VS. 03 Accord V6 Navigation, which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-04, 09:23 AM
NileLegend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 99 GS300 VS. 03 Accord V6 Navigation, which one to buy?

Hey guys, I am currently looking for a new car and have a choice between two nice cars at the same price. My choice is either getting a 1999 Lexus GS 300 with navigation, HID's, heated seats, and 42,000 Miles and No Warranty OR to get a 2003 Honda Accord V6 with about 20-30K Miles, with leather, heated seats, a much more advanced Navigation system and still under factory warranty. I have driven both cars and both are really nice. I’m just having a hard to time deciding, the thing that is making me interested in the Accord is that it is relatively new, and is very well loaded.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-04, 09:42 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my brother inlaw has an 04 V6 accord and I drove it before I bought my GS.
It felt cheap and light when I drove it. It is prob quicker than a GS3 but the ride quality and front wheel drive suck.
get the GS-BTW-even an es rides way better than an accord
Old 10-23-04, 10:24 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that navi on the new accord is said 2 b "2nd generation," i'd go for the accord. then again, if u wanna imagine and sportiness, gs would be a better value for u. personally, i'd get a car with much less milage.
Old 10-23-04, 10:48 AM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

lexus GS = luxury

accord = avg. sedan

you decide...

with lexus ... you dont even need warranty .... nothing ever goes wrong with the car... sence ive had mine... i havnt gone to the dealer for manufacture defect etc.

I say go with the lexus... you get Looks, High quality & Class all in one... not to mention The Lexus badge.
Old 10-23-04, 11:27 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The main reason I'd vote for the GS is that the 03 Accord is a first year model.
Old 10-23-04, 01:21 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Default uhhh...

i dunt think you even need to decide...

its a honda vs a lexus... i mean hondas are nice cars and are also very reliable... but so are toyotas and lexus. i mean... just choosing the lexus, you already get the name, the reliability, and the right to mod. you see modded hondas everywhere you look... but with the lexus.. you have to unlimited choice to mod so that anywhere you go, heads will turn..

maybe it just me but i thought the choice was kind of obvious.. but then again.. im a lexus lover... go with the GS 300 i say...
Old 10-23-04, 01:40 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position, except it was bewteen a 98 GS4 and a brand new fully loaded Camry SE V6.

If you want a car that's still going to be your car for the next 10 years, get the Accord. Will be cheaper to maintain and fix, if you ever need to. If you want luxury and something that isn't the average Joe's car, get the GS. And btw, I think a GS3 is still a bit quicker than an Accord (0-60 in 7.8, compared to 8 flat). A loaded Accord with Nav, you can't go wrong with that either. I could tell you, the GS will definately get more stares than an Accord or Camry. But it depends on what you want.
Old 10-23-04, 04:11 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

GS!
Old 10-23-04, 06:23 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i might get tar and feathered but i really like the new accord coupes. if u decide to leave ur ride stock i would probally go with an accord. gas probally is better in the accord as well. also its a 99car vs a 03car ...half a decade that technology could have been improved.

-BUT-
if you decide to pimp out a ride i would rather go with a GS. another factor is as time pasts the GS will still always look good..look at how many pre-01' es300 are out and about that still look damn nice. (correct me if im wrong about the release year of the new es300) conversly look how bad the previous gen. accord is compared to the new body accords -ugly-
if your worried about warranty then all means goto the accord but as many will say lexus/toyota reliablity is like the standard in the car industry.

-NOW-
say you pull up to some hunnies at a stop light in the accord, you got some rims, body kit, and indash screen. you get to macking then ol' boy with a GS pulls up on the otherside of the hunnies, hes rolling on chrome or even polished wheels.. that alone makes him pulls the hunnies right out from below you. you think im lying? this is a true story right from my own experience muahahaha.

"i like my GS how i like my girls, smooth, classy, and low maintenance"
Old 10-23-04, 06:25 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some good replies here.

want to look like everyone else, get the Honda.

want to step it up a notch and get stares of envy with your mods, get the Lex.

The Lex will not let you down. Do not even worry or think about the lack of warranty. It is a non-issue.
Old 10-23-04, 07:00 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

LOL. .....

Is all about the status....

And

Lexus = status
Old 10-23-04, 07:29 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Not only for the Status, but look at trade in value, the accord will never hold the same value that a lexus will. NEVER!!! And not to mention all of the above coments on getting the lexus.

John
Old 10-23-04, 07:49 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JohnGS4
Not only for the Status, but look at trade in value, the accord will never hold the same value that a lexus will. NEVER!!! And not to mention all of the above coments on getting the lexus.

John
i thought about the value.... but if you think about it .. 99 lex gs300 vs 2003 accord fully loaded w/navi n all ... trading in youll prolly get the same amount back, maybe just a little more for the accord... sence its newer .... and over time.. 99 gs300 would hold less book value then the 03' accord w/options, just because of the year difference and the mileage too offcours...
Old 10-24-04, 07:20 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

First off, make sure you weigh the fact that you asked this question at on a Lexus board. I was amazed at the number of people that actually said the GS until I remembered where we were. Some things to consider
1. GSs have plenty of problems - check the board out in case you were not sure. Two very reliable cars here, but still, the one with warranty should always have an advantage.
2. The GS has 5 years of wear and tear on it - the Accord is probably going to be in better shape.
3. The Accord is a LOT faster - at least from the comparisons I've seen (others on this board that say status is important should think about how you will feel as the lowly Accord shows you its taillights).
4. Hondas have incredible resale value - however the base ones tend to hold a higher percentage of their value. Either way, the Accord will hold its value - but as a newer car it will depreciate faster than a 5 year old Lexus.

Oh and in case it was not clear from above, I think you should go with the Accord.

Last edited by doug_999; 10-24-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 11:28 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Accords drive like a tin can. and I just drove an 04 with the 240hp v-6. A used GS feels more solid

Quick Reply: 99 GS300 VS. 03 Accord V6 Navigation, which one to buy?