GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another former Lincoln guy with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 08:10 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another former Lincoln guy with some questions

First off, I'd like to introduce myself.My name is Chris and I used to be a die hard Lincoln guy that just bought a 98 GS 400 Bronze Mica (Yes Ron, same as yours)

I used to own a shop working soley on Lincoln MarkVIIIs hence the name LMSguy, so I have a pretty good background with 32 valve DOHC engines.
What I'm really curious about is the low mileage I have been experiencing. I have been getting about 18.5 on the highway cruising at about 85-90.My first thought was that the car had 20s on it, but when I put 20s on my Lincoln it didnt affect the mileage at all.

I have done the normal tune up stuff like new plugs and air filter, PCV valve,but the mileage didnt change at all.
I checked into a fuel filter but I guess its a non serviceable item.(according to my uneducated Lexus parts guys)

Any ideas on things I can do to get the mileage up to where I see everybody elses???

Thanks in advance, Chris.
Old 08-19-04, 09:20 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take your foot of the gas and get 13"s

not sure about getting better gas mileage

according to the NAV i get anywhere from 13-15 mpg

so your doing better than me

also there is no fuel filter

johnny

oh and welcome to club lexus

Last edited by T.L.W.; 08-19-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 09:33 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Actually, there ARE fuel filters.Two of them to be exact.But both of them are located inside the tank and non servicable as per The Lexus Tech the parts guy asked.One is part of the sender assembly.
I believe they said they are metal.
The only thing I can think of is since they are located in the tank the sloshing fuel actually cleans the debris off of the metal filter and the debris returns to the bottom of the tank.

And thanks for the Welcome.
Old 08-19-04, 10:37 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So, you have 20s on the GS now? The 20" tires are taller than the OE 235/45-17s, so they are underdriving the odometer. Since the odometer isn't racking up the miles as quickly, when you make the mileage calculation it's off a bit.

OE:
235/45-17 = 25.33" diameter (79.57" tire circumference)

20":
245/35-20 = 26.75" diameter (84.04" tire circumference)

Mine is even worse:
255/35-20 = 27.03" diameter (84.92" circumference)

The new Pirelli Nero would help:
245/30-20 = 25.79" diameter (81.02" tire circumference)

Enjoy the new Lexus- congratulations!

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-19-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 01:15 PM
ias
Pole Position

your smart, i just figured out the other when im going 70 im relly going 76 with my 20's that sound about right?
Old 08-19-04, 09:43 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes there is a fuel filter lexus doesnt recommend changing but i had mine changed for that extra pieces of mind with the labor it was around $120
Old 08-20-04, 01:17 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Welcome to Clublexus - otherwise known as clubspending.com!!

I have no idea what mileage I get. I just enjoy driving the car and am not interested in the mileage otherwise I tend to drive like a granny and we all know how much fun that is!
Old 08-21-04, 06:51 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

According to my nav, I am getting around 19.2 on average. That is with some WOT from time to time which I do not normally do. Perhaps your tires are are too tall. What size tires do you have?

Others: I have replaced my fuel filters twice. If a person can do a fuel pump change on this car, then the fuel filters are a cinch.I posted pics for anyone interested. Do a search.
Keep in mind this is not for the timid as you will be playing with a fuel pump that is located inside your fuel tank. Smoking highly not recommended. There are always those will will try.
Old 08-21-04, 07:11 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

I figured the filter wouldnt be any harder than a fuel pump and I have changed 15-20 of those in the last few years.
That was one of the basic mods on a Lincoln was a walboro 255.
I designed a custom dual 255 in tank system on my 700WHP Lincoln.
Here is a picture of it.I did almost every aspect of the construction myself.It took a little over a year.I'm in the process of turning it into a purpose built race car with a very large single turbo system.Should make about 1000RWHP from a 4.6 liter engine!

Old 08-21-04, 09:11 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Chris, that's one mean looking Mark! I'd hate to pull aongside that at a light! Very nice work. I need my sunglasses now.

Welcome to CL, I can't help you with the solution to your gas mileage, but SoCalSC4's theroy makes sense to me. Ihaven't looked at what I get at a steady 80 mph cruise, but I can tell you that on 2 cross country trips my ( stock 17" wheels and tires) GS400 averaged 25 mpg (1st trip) and then 24 mpg ( 2nd trip). That was using the e-shift a lot in the mountains and getting heavy on the gas. I dunno, maybe because my wife only weighs about 100lbs??? lol

Personally, I wouldn't have believed those figures for a 300 HP 3700 lb car either, but I'm pleased.

P.S. One of my good friends here, a younger guy (19), has a Mark VIII, lightly modded. His biggest gripe is the headlight output, which (even after we wetsanded and polished them out) are damn scary for driving at night. He wants to upgrade to the later Mark VIII HID lights, but that's too big a job in $$$ and parts right now for him. He drove my old T-Bird SC at night and said the SC's LOW beams were better than his Mark's HIGH beams. I couldn't believe it but, man, he was right and that was strange! Nice car otherwise though, MN12 platform etc.

Best of luck and welcome to CL. DAN H

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-21-04 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-21-04, 11:25 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, nice Mark LMSguy. I love the low/ wide look of the mark VIII and yours goes even further.

Originally posted by Guitarman
His biggest gripe is the headlight output, which (even after we wetsanded and polished them out) are damn scary for driving at night. He wants to upgrade to the later Mark VIII HID lights, but that's too big a job in $$$ and parts right now for him. He drove my old T-Bird SC at night and said the SC's LOW beams were better than his Mark's HIGH beams. I couldn't believe it but, man, he was right and that was strange! Nice car otherwise though, MN12 platform etc.

I have had a '96 Mark VIII and now have a '97 and the difference in light output is literally night and day. My '97 uses projector HID's and I feel that the lighting is even a little better than my reflector HID's in the GS400. The lighting on the '96 Mark was pathetic.
Old 08-22-04, 01:23 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chris, that's one mean looking Mark! I'd hate to pull aongside that at a light! Very nice work. I need my sunglasses now.

Welcome to CL, I can't help you with the solution to your gas mileage, but SoCalSC4's theroy makes sense to me. Ihaven't looked at what I get at a steady 80 mph cruise, but I can tell you that on 2 cross country trips my ( stock 17" wheels and tires) GS400 averaged 25 mpg (1st trip) and then 24 mpg ( 2nd trip). That was using the e-shift a lot in the mountains and getting heavy on the gas. I dunno, maybe because my wife only weighs about 100lbs??? lol

Personally, I wouldn't have believed those figures for a 300 HP 3700 lb car either, but I'm pleased.

P.S. One of my good friends here, a younger guy (19), has a Mark VIII, lightly modded. His biggest gripe is the headlight output, which (even after we wetsanded and polished them out) are damn scary for driving at night. He wants to upgrade to the later Mark VIII HID lights, but that's too big a job in $$$ and parts right now for him. He drove my old T-Bird SC at night and said the SC's LOW beams were better than his Mark's HIGH beams. I couldn't believe it but, man, he was right and that was strange! Nice car otherwise though, MN12 platform etc.

beautiful car i also had a lincoln mark VIII pearl white with 18"enki enzo's i also had problems with the lighting here is a old pick of it ...
Attached Thumbnails Another former Lincoln guy with some questions-shawn.jpg  
Old 08-22-04, 02:22 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Yep...also a former Lincoln owner here, and I've had the pleasure of talking extensively with Chris. All I can say is, be prepared to see Chris owning a very fast GS400...it's just a matter of time! I don't think Chris can own a car without modifying it and making mondo HP. Chris' extensive DOHC experience bodes well for ALL of us. You can bet if CHris finds a way to squeeze some HP out of the GS, he will. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Chris decides to get into the GS400 performance biz. C'mon..maybe it we all beg together, Chris will listen "PRETTY PLEASE, CHRIS"!!

Oh..and I get from 18-24MPG.
Old 08-22-04, 03:05 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Tell your friend he can use the HID setup off of a 96 LSC.It bolts right in to the 93-96.The only models to come with HIDs were the 96 LSC and all 97-98 Gen2s.The system is pretty expensive if bought from a dealership but can sometimes be found elsewhere for about 700 a set.And thats for lens and all.Not just bulbs and ballasts.
Old 08-22-04, 03:07 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally posted by lexusondubs
beautiful car i also had a lincoln mark VIII pearl white with 18"enki enzo's i also had problems with the lighting here is a old pick of it ...
Ya those Enzos are a great looking wheel.I had them in 20s and I had a brake caliper bolt come out which pressed the caliper against the inside of the wheel and destroyed the wheel.It actually cut it in two. Enkei quit making that wheel so they sent me 4 brand new Enkei Kapones.They looked pretty good but not as good as the 20 inch Enzos.

Quick Reply: Another former Lincoln guy with some questions