GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SRT w.Race ECU & Borla Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 06:58 AM
kcrawford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SRT w.Race ECU & Borla Exhaust

I have bought my SRT intake almost a year ago. I recently added a set of Borla SS rear sections to replace my factory mufflers. I also put in a set of TorqueMaster plugs about 10k miles ago. Didn't notice too much difference with the SRT other than a great sound and better throttle response at 80 + MPH. But when I added the Borlas that made a difference in both sound and seat of the pants performance. I have had thense mods for about a week. Just this morning, I finally got around to resetting my ECU. I pulled all the fuses I read about on this forum. (Thanks Guys) I my GS4 out for a test drive this morning to help my computer learn how I drive. I drove it like I stole it. The response was tremendous. I get more low end torque, I can feel it pushing me in the back. But when it gets around 80 MPH it really starts pulling hard. I was at 110 a few times before I knew it. Throttle response in the 40 -70 MPH range improved. My usual sluggish 1-2 shift is now pushing me forward instead of lagging for a second then pulling. I am really thankful to you guys for helping me get the right combination of bolt on mods.

For you newcomers, I'll put out exactly what I did in the form of mods.

SRT intake w/Race ECU - Good sound. Better throttle response 80+MPH (80-125 MPH comes up fast)

Torque Master plugs - Lower end got a little better. Louder sound from SRT intake (IMHO)

Borla Exhaust - Great throttle response on low end. Lunges forward from 40-60 MPH. 80 - 125 MPH pulls really hard! Remember to reset the ECU after you get all mods in place so your ECU can adapt to the new air coming in and flowing out. I also took off my intake and cleaned my throttle body, butterfly and MAF sensor. Put all that back on and used 93 Octane pump gas.

It runs like a mean 1998 GS400 should now. I think I'll be out cruising today!

BTW I also have the Lexus dealership replacing my steering rack and wheel hubs to get rid of the infamous vibration problem. I'll let you all know how that turns out. Also put in the L-tuned steering ECU. Couldn't really notice a difference since my steering pretensioner is a tight as can be already.

After Lexus fixes my steering rack I am going to be looking for some cross drilled rotors and hi performance break pads. I'm sure I'll find what I need on the forum.

Happy Driving!!
Old 05-29-04, 07:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience, I had exactly the same performance mods on mine (plus the PI 2800 stall torque converter) up until recently and had similar results. Recommend you try adding the torque converter next for a whole new off-the-line experience
Old 05-29-04, 10:08 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: SRT w.Race ECU & Borla Exhaust

Originally posted by kcrawford

BTW I also have the Lexus dealership replacing my steering rack and wheel hubs to get rid of the infamous vibration problem. I'll let you all know how that turns out.
what is this fix? i get vibration at 55-62mphs...and i had the wheels balanced again. same issue
Old 05-29-04, 01:55 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sounds nice man, glad your enjoying the mods, I want a SRT intake
Old 05-29-04, 08:36 PM
kcrawford
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Vibration Problem

I won't get into all the details on the vibration problem as there are many many posts that would give you much better information than I could provide. I probably should have put that in a separate thread. If you do a search for "steering rack" , I'm sure you will find plenty of info about the vibration problem many of us have experienced. I will give you all the details after I get this service done. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-29-04, 09:57 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i already have srt intake w/ racing ecu..

so tc and exhaust is on my wish list..

whats the proper way to reset ecu? 'cause when i once took my car to mechanic he reset it somehow differently and i feel car drives faster then when i just reseted by pulling out battery.. which fuse do i need to pull out to make "full" reset?
Old 05-30-04, 07:38 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally posted by alexus
i already have srt intake w/ racing ecu..

so tc and exhaust is on my wish list..

whats the proper way to reset ecu? 'cause when i once took my car to mechanic he reset it somehow differently and i feel car drives faster then when i just reseted by pulling out battery.. which fuse do i need to pull out to make "full" reset?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=19119
Old 05-30-04, 09:48 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks