GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Vis Carbon Fiber Hood Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 03:46 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vis Carbon Fiber Hood Part 2

Okay guys here is the write up finally, I started a new thread because...well...read on and find out...

It first started with me having the dilemma of many friends who told me not to get the hood. Why? because they said it would take away from the class of the car.....so I was debating whether or not I should get the hood for a very long time....when I saw long I mean months.... Then I talked to a few people who I knew had the hood and they seemed to enjoy them and talked nothing but good about them. Well came down to spring mod time and I did it...bought the hood from VIS. The hood itself is made of 3 layers, the top being the glossy UV treated layer, then the middle which is the kevlar and the bottom which is made from fiberglass. it is bonded together to become one single unit. it is a direct OEM replacement, it uses all nuts and bolts right off your OEM hood....

here comes the bad part.... the CF hood weighs roughly 25-30lbs, the OEM metal hood weighs rougly 50-60 lbs....big difference.... I attached the hood shocks on to the CF hood as I was suppose to since it was direct replacement...it even has the hole with thread to screw in the shocks....well...one thing everyone forgot , even the peeps at VIS is, that the shocks are meant for a WAYYYY heavier hood....thus when the CF hood is closed it puts tremendous pressure on the hood trying to push it back up....with that being said....as soon as the hood heated up in the sun and after I shut the car off after driving...the hood became very flexible and so the shocks pushed the hood up even more....how do we know? take a look at the pictures I took the second day I got the hood

Old 05-01-04, 03:48 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

scary huh? well, I got a few PMs from people asking about that situation...well I thought it had just flexed as the hood went back down a little after it cooled down....but after 4 days the hood stayed up PERMANENTLY! What was I do to? Well I was heading down to Glendale, CA to visit my uncle and drop off a computer I had built for him, lucky for me VIS is about 20-30 mins away in Pasedena off Nogalis st.... so I called up VIS showed them many pictures of what happened and they worked with me very willingly to make me happy and so I went down to LA yesterday, got the new hood, put it on at VIS....DID NOT attach the hood shocks and when I closed the hood...to my enjoyment and glee it was flush like the OEM metal hood....I just came back from LA less than an hour ago and I had to shave the windshield nozzle sprayer openings a little bit because they are too small...if you force the nozzles in im sure the surrounding cf will crack...so just shave them....then I had to drill the holes for the screws on the grill to attach it to the hood....dont worry about knowing where to drill the holes...they are PRE-Marked for you...okay so here are the pictures I just took....crap im tired drove 6 hours starting at 8am to get home and do this write up just for you folks...::::PHEW:::: ....hehe jk I enjoy posting ... okay enough said ...here are the pics

I literally just got back from LA...here are the bugs who committed suicide on my bumper to prove it

Last edited by AlphaJZS; 05-01-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-01-04, 03:50 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Conclusion: VIS HOOD IS A GREAT FIT!
DO NOT USE HOOD SHOCKS
DO NOT USE HOOD SHOCKS
DO NOT USE HOOD SHOCKS
DO NOT USE HOOD SHOCKS
I dont think in anyway it takes away from the class of my car, it might be different if it were on a lighter model GS but with black I definately think it works out well....it looks black from a distance but under the correct lighting and being close up....it makes the car look give that "aggressive" look. If you folks have any questions regarding the hood feel free to PM me or just reply in the thread
Old 05-01-04, 03:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn sorry to see and hear that

but on the bright side it looks real tight

Old 05-01-04, 04:00 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow...man u must b happy u live in cally where the hood came from, i can't believe no one knew about this b4 from VIS? glad it was fixed 4 u, so u have 2 shave the hole 4 the washers they mad a little but bigger? what did u use incase anyone wants 2 know? i personally love the CF hood on black or silver, mayb white... with u'r car being black its not as in u'r face as other colors so u didn'y really lose much class like some say....overall...looks great congrats...
Old 05-01-04, 04:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

New hood looks MUCH better, lol. Glad it turned out OK for you!

Without the hood shocks, how does your hood stay up now?
Old 05-01-04, 04:21 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

the holes for the nozzle: I used a drill with a small bit, and just worked the holes just a tad to give me room to push the nozzles in...no major adjustments needed...

the hood shocks not being used: well....the hood now stays open with.....well okay the hood no longer is able to be propped up =P ....but I left the hood shocks attached to the body so when I need to prop the hood up all I have to do is screw the shock into the hood with my hand....im sure it will be a pain doing that but its not like i open my hood everyday =)...
Old 05-01-04, 04:51 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great... Arent you in the Sac 916 area? I just got a GS4 this moring and love it. Just need to start modding and wanted to ask a local some q's and hopefully check it out.
Old 05-01-04, 05:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Looks good (now) Panda. What I'm most impressed about though is that VIS helped you out big time. THAT is great customer service!
Old 05-01-04, 08:33 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panda, I'm happy VIS stepped up to help correct the problem... However, Manaray & I had the chance to check out their products on display at the SEMA show last year and I know " I " would NEVER do business with them. After a short conversation with the guys there, they came across as very cocky and unhelpful. They kept bragging about their hooked up celica's and crap but little did they know that we both have over $15k in mods in our GS and if they would have talked to me in a more "business" like manner, I would have a different opinion about them. I do give them credit that they have improved their quality control on their bodykits and hoods over the last 2 years however, it's still not great. One thing that bothers me about your new hood is the fact that you no longer can use hood shocks. They should have supplied you with a different shock to allow you to keep you hood open. The fact that they didn't realize that the stock shocks were too strong tells me that they didn't do any R&D...which is a no-no. Anyway, please don't take this post the wrong way. Your new CF hood looks great and I hope no more problems happen from it.

Note: I'm curious to know how they would have handle this problem if you lived on the East coast...
Old 05-01-04, 09:05 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD

Note: I'm curious to know how they would have handle this problem if you lived on the East coast...
again, nothing personal panda i really like it a lot on u'r car, but good makes a good point, why didn't they know about this b4? is this the 1st gs with this hood? if not i'm sure it has happen 2 others, why haven't they made a replacement shock 2 hold the hodd? and if u hadn't gone 2 thier shop i Do wondor what they would have said or done over the phone or in emails? a lot of u guys r so lucky u live in the same state as most of the shops and factories, mid and east coast guys have 2 take chances cus we can't fly out or drive 2 visit if there is a problem....

again i really like the hood and am glad they helped u out. r u going 2 do a CF grill aswell, that would look hot
Old 05-01-04, 11:15 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks nice.. How much do these hoods cost. Email me if you are not free to say (SoarerToyota1@aol.com)

Thanks

Cuz i think it would like nice on a silver car (like the one im getting)

this pic shows it some what

J
Old 05-02-04, 12:05 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Panda on the fabulous CF hood.

I think the CF hood looks great on a silver GS also.

One thing about CF hood on silver GS: You need to use a black grill or the stock grille. Otherwise when aftermarket silver silver grill shows up on a black hood, it's awkward. I actually plan on getting a black grill (L-sportline or L-tuned or something) if I use a CF hood
Old 05-02-04, 04:06 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Panda, I'm happy VIS stepped up to help correct the problem... However, Manaray & I had the chance to check out their products on display at the SEMA show last year and I know " I " would NEVER do business with them. After a short conversation with the guys there, they came across as very cocky and unhelpful. They kept bragging about their hooked up celica's and crap but little did they know that we both have over $15k in mods in our GS and if they would have talked to me in a more "business" like manner, I would have a different opinion about them. I do give them credit that they have improved their quality control on their bodykits and hoods over the last 2 years however, it's still not great. One thing that bothers me about your new hood is the fact that you no longer can use hood shocks. They should have supplied you with a different shock to allow you to keep you hood open. The fact that they didn't realize that the stock shocks were too strong tells me that they didn't do any R&D...which is a no-no. Anyway, please don't take this post the wrong way. Your new CF hood looks great and I hope no more problems happen from it.

well K, no offense taken...I have to admit, when I stepped into the VIS storefront for their warehouse I to was turned off by the amount of young bucks working for them....it didnt look like they had anyone with experience ... and the owners and the sales people speak english with a very thick chinese accent.... not that im hating on that, it just didnt feel very professional to me...but hey they probably have more dough than I do...VIS has become huge over the years, would I buy their kits? probably not.... but looking at the hood in person before buying it I noticed the detail they had put in it....the bottom portion of the hood even has "toyota" embossed in it....indicating they used a real GS hood as the mold. I do definately agree that THEY SHOULD have told me not to use the shocks in the begining, friggen A, the hood has screw holes for it so I used them..like any other normal person would!.... it would have saved me some time and frustration for sure....and going off what Blue said....yeah the hood should come with lower strength pressurized shocks...but I guess I can buy those somewhere?

as for a grill...i think im gonna go the TRD CF route

the hood was bought and shipped to my door for about 699

I'll follow up with the hood in about a month to see if any deterioration occurs....hopefully not but who knows...its a chance im taking and willing to risk...so I can be the test dummy for all you folks that PMed me about the hood... =P
Old 05-02-04, 11:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear the company solved your problem in a quick maner
Looks great (again).

Quick Reply: Vis Carbon Fiber Hood Part 2