GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

An Irritating Rattling Noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 06:07 AM
Tebabee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry An Irritating Rattling Noise!!!

Hello everyone!!

I'm the new owner of a 2001 GS300, but prior to this I owned three ES300s and I never had a problem out of any of them. I loved them all, but finally wanted to get something different that was of great quality. I love Lexus quality and service, but chose to explore my options. Of course, I ended up right back at the Lexus dealer. For so long I wanted the GS300 and now since I got this "certified" GS300, that I haven't even had a month, it has a rattling sound right up under the car that's just killing me. It rattles on smooth roads, over bumps and even when it's hot or cold. I was so used to my ES300's giving me no problems and they drove so very easily (this car is heavy as hell). I did so much research, but never found anything bad about the GS300. So if anyone out there could please give me a heads up on the trouble spots of the GS300, it will be greatly appreciated. I really want to feel as though I made the right choice in purchasing this car. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-14-04, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Question Underbody rattles?

Could be any one of a number of loose parts under the car but most likely a loose converter heat shield, muffler, or exhaust pipe. If they check out OK then look at the suspension bushings and strut mounts...those noises would be more from the front and rear rather than underneath.
Old 04-14-04, 06:36 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

since you mentioned your car is certified, that would mean you have the warranty covering it for 3 yrs/100k miles. why dont you just take it back to the dealer and have them figure this out. ?
Old 04-14-04, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Besides....your first post?.....welcome to the Forums ! I should have mentioned this in my last post.
How about it, moderator?....let's give this Lexus owner a nice welcome.
Old 04-14-04, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i would definitely take the car back to dealer
Old 04-14-04, 10:36 AM
Tebabee
Driver School Candidate

I would like to thank everyone for the information and support. I actually had made an appointment to take it in prior to my previous message. Me being female and all, I just wanted to have some ideas before taking it in and listening to some BS. And I won't lie, I wanted some of you GS owners to rant and rave over how great your cars really are aside from this rattling noise I have been hearing. Ha Ha!! It'll be taken care of. Thanks you guys.
Old 04-14-04, 10:37 AM
Tebabee
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, I don't know how I got the title of driver school candidate, but I'm not, I've been driving for years. I just wanted to let you guys know. And as a matter of fact, how do I change that?
Old 04-14-04, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Tebabee
Oh yeah, I don't know how I got the title of driver school candidate, but I'm not, I've been driving for years. I just wanted to let you guys know. And as a matter of fact, how do I change that?
As you do more posts in these forums your title will change.
Old 04-14-04, 12:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Hi Tebabee. Welcome aboard. I've gained lots of knowledge and come here constantly since being on Clublexus. It's great therapy for me. I have a 99 GS300 with 100K miles with no major headaches, except for a new throttle accelerator and starter(after trying to fiddle with a remote starter-don't install this ever!). One rattle that I had was gravel sound coming out of the ac vents. This was fixed when I had some major service recently-my glove box was tightened also b/c I had a dvd player removed from there. They said that was the main culprit. Anyways, I've been reading and it seems that there's more in the squeaks and rattles in the 2001? Since you're under warranty, they should fix these noises for you, maybe adding extra felts where the squeaks and rattles are. Try to pinpoint where they are and tell them exactly when you get to the dealer.

I said the same thing about the candidate thing when I first post also
Have you done anything new to the car yet?

Good luck.

One more thing-about the heavy issue. When I drove my friends new Avalon, it was very light and didn't feel stable. Must be a personal preference b/c when I got back in my GS, oh man, I loved my GS. Feels strong and planted.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 04-14-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Tebabee
I would like to thank everyone for the information and support. I actually had made an appointment to take it in prior to my previous message. Me being female and all, I just wanted to have some ideas before taking it in and listening to some BS. And I won't lie, I wanted some of you GS owners to rant and rave over how great your cars really are aside from this rattling noise I have been hearing. Ha Ha!! It'll be taken care of. Thanks you guys.
well in any case, insist that you don't pay anything. coz' you just bought the car and it's from lexus used car department, so they should have warranty for all that