GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bra on 2nd Gen GS w/Lip for Highway Trips

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 02:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally posted by bluelex
dave if u find something please let me know, this is another reason why i don't like long road trips, i just got my front bumper back the other day and man i'll tell u i don't even want 2 drive the car right cus i want it 2 stay fresh 4 our upcoming meet and H.I.N coming in early may.....i wanted 2 drive up 2 atlanta this summer 4 h.i.n. also but don't want 2 mess up my front in the process....let me know if u find something..
Will do. Right now I'm planning on picking up the Lexus dealer bra. I suspect the bottom piece won't go up far enough, but it will at least give me some protection on bottom (if it fits). It my paint wasn't brand new on the lip, I'd just put painters masking tape on it for the trip (they even make it in blue just for you ). Lots of high end cars that go on the track do this to protect their front end, headlights, etc. I just can't do it since my lip paint is only a day old.
Old 04-08-04, 02:29 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wait so masking tape will do the trick on any trip i make? and in blue!

Last edited by bluelex; 04-08-04 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 02:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

wait so masking tape will do the trick on any trip i make? and in blue!
It should... althought we might want to ask Dan our detail expert about any residue issues.

See it on pics of nice cars running on road courses all the time:

Old 04-08-04, 03:15 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I think X-Pel or ArmorGlove looks a little better (j/k)

Seriously though, a LOT of race cars are using the Armorglove product! If this stuff works at 200+ MPH (and it does) it will work great on my freeway commute!

Of course, there's always .....DUCT TAPE!
Old 04-08-04, 03:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

but will that cover work with my front rmm bumper?
Old 04-08-04, 03:36 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but will that cover work with my front rmm bumper?

are you talking about Xpel? if so they can cut out custom pieces and I think RMM GS4 did his own
Old 04-08-04, 03:41 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LEXISM
are you talking about Xpel? if so they can cut out custom pieces and I think RMM GS4 did his own
Correct-ArmorGlove film can be applied to just about any surface. They custom cut pieces for rocker panels rear fender lips, hoods etc.
I also had the outside rear view mirrors done (backside of course).
Great stuff, definitely worth a look IMO.
Old 04-12-04, 05:02 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave,

I just got my car back from the shop for Xpel installation. The job is awesome and the price is good too. I think after repainted my kit the 3rd time just the past weekend, I wish I have done this earlier. I will start a new thread tonight for some close up pictures. You barely see the line even though I have a black car. P.S. I did not do the hood, just the front bumper and the headlight.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 04-12-04 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 05:07 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
TLW, you don't have a lip on yours do you? Just wondering how it will fit over top of that. Sorry, no trade tor the JP tails

I've got a trip this weekend so it will probably be a go-out-today and get it. Can you get the Colgan bra's from stores or only online?

Lexism, the Xpel thing is really only personal preference. Probably wouldn't bother most people but I can be **** (with captial A) about some things on mine. You have to see it in person to make a judgement IMO, pictures don't let you know. From a distance it isn't bad, but there is a clear line where the Xpel ends and the regular paing begins. Difference in appearance of the finish. I think it looks better on colors other than black... might still use it on my headlights if I ever replace them. Personally, I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks every two years to get my front end repainted.
Get this Dave, a friend of mine that does frequent trips up north in the winter for skiing trips (and salt trucks are constantly on those roads spraying a mixture of grit and salt on the roads. Needless to say this wreaks havoc on cars hoods) had his whole hood xpel'd! He did not like the line either so he did the whole thing and of course you can't tell he has anything on the hood!

Last edited by Hameed; 04-12-04 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 06:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Hameed
Get this Dave, a friend of mine that does frequent trips up north in the winter for skiing trips (and salt trucks are constantly on those roads spraying a mixture of grit and salt on the roads. Needless to say this wreaks havoc on cars hoods) had his whole hood xpel'd! He did not like the line either so he did the whole thing and of course you can't tell he has anything on the hood!
Yeah, I bet a buffer and a good coat of wax put a nice shine on his hood too, right ? Guys that have it an like it - more power to 'em! I'm just not convinced yet. I see the difference in the appearance of the paint / shine when its installed and I notice the line (fairly faint when new, but it does get more visible over time as the stuff gets beat up).

It all boils down to personal preference. We know the Lexus paint chips real easily up front so we've got to do something about it! The bra I got doesn't work quite as well as I'd like either (doesn't cover the TTE Lip) and xpel is probably the best thing to cover something that low to the ground. Maybe next time I'll try it just on the lip. or front bumper (not the hood).

Old 04-13-04, 04:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
It all boils down to personal preference. We know the Lexus paint chips real easily up front so we've got to do something about it! The bra I got doesn't work quite as well as I'd like either (doesn't cover the TTE Lip) and xpel is probably the best thing to cover something that low to the ground. Maybe next time I'll try it just on the lip. or front bumper (not the hood).
That's exactly what I would do too. When I put on my TTE lip it looked exactly like yours (it now has a few minor chips in it) and the only reason why I did not xpel it at that time was because the front bumper needed to be painted and the guy I spoke to who put on the xpel on my headlights (remember I got new headlights last year?) said he could make a custom piece for my bumper and lip. However I would have needed to paint the bumper first so I did not put the xpel on then.

I will probably paint the bumper and tte lip sometime next year (my car is driven very little now) and will then get the TTE lip and bumper protected with xpel. I also can't stand the line of the xpel on the hood and would rather just get the hood painted every couple of years or so. So far the paint on the hood is original and the chips are less than 5 in total and are not that noticeable. Maybe I got a better original paint job on my car than others......... but I am surprised at how few the chips are compared to other GS's I have seen that have about the same mileage as mine - SPORTS and 2SAVVY to be exact.
Old 04-13-04, 05:00 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

damn.....

I have an extra Lexus bra sitting in my trunk since I already have the 3M protective clear bra on my front hood, tte lip, front bumper, all the headlights, side mirrors, and jdm grille.

Dave, remember those pictures that I have send to you long time ago......my car had the clear bra on already.....

Last edited by Kajukenbo; 04-13-04 at 05:04 PM.