GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stainless steel screws for licence plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 06:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Stainless steel screws for licence plate holder

Anybody know where I can get stainless steel screws for the licence plate holders? I have tried the usual and obvious places, but cannot find a correct match in terms of the thickness of the screw or even the correct size that matches the screws on the car.

Here is a pic of the plate with black screws that don't match the stainless steel plate holder. (the chrome colored caps that come with the holder ofcourse are not the correct size for these stupid screws, so I can't even cover them either.

(this is an old pic of the car before I put the 01 tails on)

Last edited by Hameed; 03-15-04 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-15-04, 06:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Do a google search for 'fasteners' and you'll find a bunch of places that sell nothing but stuff like that. Trouble is you're going to have to match up the thread, size etc.

Might also want to check your local area for a fastener store, bringing the one that fits in with you.
Old 03-15-04, 07:40 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

When I bought my stainless steel license plate holder, they came w/ the chrome plastic caps along with the bolt and a soft plastic bolt end sleeve (to secure the plastic caps onto). The bolt is your standard size license holder bolt. Nonetheleess, did you throw away the clear plastic bolt sleeves by accident before mounting the bolts? If you did, that's why you can't put the chrome plastic caps on.

I know that Automotive Gold makes a lot of the stainless steel license plate holders, so they might be a good place to start to get the elusive plastic bolt end sleeves:

http://autogold.com/

If you're nice, they might even give them to you for free

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-15-04 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-15-04, 07:56 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Snap Caps

I did some more reading, and it looks like Automotive Gold uses the brand "Snap Caps" for their fasteners--the plastic sleeve and the chrome cover tab. See pic for details (but instead, substitute the screw for the standard bolt)--same idea as it uses the same clear plastic sleeve that the chrome cover tab snaps into.

http://www.pro-dec.com/snap-caps.htm

Your best bet is to still to get them from Automotive Gold.
Attached Thumbnails Stainless steel screws for licence plate holder-snapcap1.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 03-15-04 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-15-04, 08:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
When I bought my stainless steel license plate holder, they came w/ the chrome plastic caps along with the bolt and a soft plastic bolt end sleeve (to secure the plastic caps onto). The bolt is your standard size license holder bolt. Nonetheleess, did you throw away the clear plastic bolt sleeves by accident before mounting the bolts? If you did, that's why you can't put the chrome plastic caps on.

I know that Automotive Gold makes a lot of the stainless steel license plate holders, so they might be a good place to start to get the elusive plastic bolt end sleeves:

http://autogold.com/

If you're nice, they might even give them to you for free
No, I did not throw those out - they just did not fit.
Old 03-15-04, 08:19 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by Hameed
No, I did not throw those out - they just did not fit.
Hmm, why don't you try contacting the license plate frame manufacturer directly (or your retailer) and see about getting something that fits. Basically, they sold you defective mounting hardware, so they "should" replace it free of charge.
Old 03-15-04, 10:25 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hameed...I think TRD sells some license plate screws....special type with TRD logo....I think it comes with a special tool to tighten and remove....so that thieves can not use regular screwdrivers to steal your plates.

I saw it on HI98GS' car.

Pete
Old 03-15-04, 10:45 AM
00GS400L
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Home Depot, Stainless with allen wrench head.
Old 03-15-04, 06:30 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found ones to fit my SC in the "by the each" nuts and bolts drawer of stainless stuff at Home Depot. They were a little long but the grinder fixed that.

George
Old 03-15-04, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Pep Boys or Autozone sells a ton of different license plate holder bolts with or without caps. Failing that, the local Hennessy Lexus here sells license plate holders which have stainless screws and plastic washers and chromed plastic caps - very nice.
Old 03-16-04, 04:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Pep Boys or Autozone sells a ton of different license plate holder bolts with or without caps. Failing that, the local Hennessy Lexus here sells license plate holders which have stainless screws and plastic washers and chromed plastic caps - very nice.
I think I will take one of the actual screws itself and go to Home Depot and find one that matches. Failing that I will try my local Lexus dealer. The Hennessy Lexus dealer is a tad bit of a drive to get licence plate holder screws!
Old 03-16-04, 08:11 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hameed,

You should be able to find them at Home Depot no problem. Look for the galvanized or stainless steel ones that won't rust.

Oh , and check out these screw caps from Griots Garage... I have, well, had them on my car...(RIP)

griot's

Good luck
Old 03-16-04, 09:24 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I got mine at ACE hardware. Fit great and no rust due to them being stainless.
E
Old 03-16-04, 08:33 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
You should be able to find them at your local 'Kragens', 'PepBoys' or 'Autozone' type outlet.
Old 05-24-06, 05:54 PM
DavidJ
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Anybody know where I can get stainless steel screws for the licence plate holders? I have tried the usual and obvious places, but cannot find a correct match in terms of the thickness of the screw or even the correct size that matches the screws on the car.

Here is a pic of the plate with black screws that don't match the stainless steel plate holder. (the chrome colored caps that come with the holder ofcourse are not the correct size for these stupid screws, so I can't even cover them either.

(this is an old pic of the car before I put the 01 tails on)
I found chrome bolts and washers at Ace Hardware. The license plate bolts for my GS 450H are six (6) millimeter coarse thread. I matched the length to the existing bolt and added a "fender style" chrome washer. This particular Ace Hardware had a display where you could screw in your existing bolt to determine its size. I hope you are lucky enough that your local hardware franchise also carries chrome bolts, nuts, etc. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel screws for licence plate holder