GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

motorized steering wheel tilt

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 07:54 AM
wolfman75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorized steering wheel tilt

How do you disable that function? I have a 98 GS 400... I used to have a 93 GS 300 and there was this little button right next to the joy stick you can depressed to diable the steering column going up and down whenever you turn on/off the ignition.

I don't have that button in the later model GS, and the manual asked me to consult a dealer?!

erics@v7s.com
Old 12-12-03, 08:40 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on 98 and up GS it is a C-Best setting and can be set by the dealer.
Old 12-12-03, 09:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: motorized steering wheel tilt

Originally posted by wolfman75
How do you disable that function? I have a 98 GS 400... I used to have a 93 GS 300 and there was this little button right next to the joy stick you can depressed to diable the steering column going up and down whenever you turn on/off the ignition.

I don't have that button in the later model GS, and the manual asked me to consult a dealer?!

erics@v7s.com
Why would you want to shut it off?
Old 12-12-03, 10:39 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: motorized steering wheel tilt

Originally posted by Richie
Why would you want to shut it off?
Probably because despite Lexus' outstanding reputation for reliability and durability, any electric motor that is used several times a day for years upon years is eventually going to die. Heck, even mine in my 99 GS4 w/ 48k miles sounds noticably more 'strained' sometimes.. especially when it's colder outside.

And honestly I really don't find it any easier to get into my car because of this feature. Maybe if I was really fat? But if you're realistic, you have to admit it's more of one of those features to make people getting in your car for the first time go "woah, cool did the steering wheel just move on its own?". Personally I'd be happy if the steering wheel only moved when I told it to or when one of the memory buttons is pushed.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-12-03 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 11:17 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd have to agree w/ Threxx on this--I was just thinking the exact same things on long-term reliability on the unit. I use my car maybe 3-4x a day and eventually, the steering wheel position motors will burn out.

Same thoughts on movement--It's just a "wow" factor for passengers, and for myself, it doesn't really aid in entry/exit.
Old 12-12-03, 11:24 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

thay was one of the main things i hated about my 96, but at least now i can disable it! i hate it because you cant use the wheel for leverage when you get out, you have to grab the Apillar or something. I weight 185lbs soaking, so just like rexx and seattle, its not a convenience for me at all!
Old 12-12-03, 03:55 PM
wolfman75
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

Thanks guys.. I was thinking the same thing.. the motor is gonna die one day and I will be STUCK with some messed up position of the steeting wheel like driving a 24-wheel diesel truck!

Do you think the dealer would charge me to disable it? Lots of work?

Eric
Old 12-12-03, 04:09 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're under warranty, it's free. Just plug in the computer and change the CBEST. It's a 5 minutes job.
Old 12-12-03, 07:41 PM
t42gs3
Driver School Candidate

My up and down motor went out on 99gs3 with 88K miles two weeks ago. It's fixed now.
Old 12-13-03, 04:32 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so when it broke 2 weeks ago, could you still adjust the position of the steering wheel using the little joystick on the left side colum?

Second question: How much did it cost you to fix the problem? @ Dealer's work and part? or DIY???

Thanks

chuck
Old 12-13-03, 07:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are brushes inside the motor the same as in a starter . They are easily replaceable though I forgot what the brushes go to so please do not ask. But that is an option for those not wanting to spend the money for new motors. Take the brushes to a alternator/starter Rebuiler and they could match them up for you. Put it all together and you have essentially a new motor.
Old 12-13-03, 08:46 PM
t42gs3
Driver School Candidate

1-The up/down motor was locked. Moving the joystick up/down does not work, the motor click only, no movement. There is a seperate motor for the forward/backward movement. Before it locked, the motor was hesitating and moving the steering wheel up/down very slowly, then it stop.

The problem is the motor had build up too much dust. If you are familiar with a dremel tool, the motor has similar parts. Both has brushing in they that makes contact to spin the motor. Only difference is that dremel has vents on the side which allows air to flow in and dust out, the motor is completely sealed so the dust builds up from the brushing and no place for the dust to go.

2-The Fix: $64.00 with tax TOYOTA PART # (GREASE STEERING)= 08887-02507
I removed the the steering colum cover, ignition key cover, and the two peices below the steeriing colum.
Then removed air conditioning duct. Leave key in ignition and disconnect the battery. Below the steering colum is a screw drive(like garage door screw drive) a little smaller than 1/4 inch, follow that down to a cover with two screw on each side. Remove the screws, slide cover back with the two washers behind the cover up the screw drive and use a string or trash bag ties to tie onto the last washer and tie the other end to anywhere to keep these three parts from sliding back down while you are working. This now exposes the gears.

The first motor motor is the up/down motor. There are four screw on the side of the motor, remove them.
Back to the exposed gears, there is a gear about the size of a nickel, use a needle nose pliar and gentlely pull it out about 1/4 inch and hold it. Now slide the motor out.

Remove motor from plastic mount. Take motor apart, you will see the brushing(mine has about 15-20% wear on it). Slide the internal out, wipe and blow this part(I did not remove the grease on the tip of the rod). Do the same for inside of the motor housing. I added a thin layer of grease to the bottum of the inside of the motor housing. Then reassemble the motor. Remove any old grease that you see, also the screw drive and all grease in the gear housing , all of the old grease are kind of dry. Regrease every thing with new grease including steering colum while you are at it. Reassemble motor, gear, washer, and cover.
Reconnect the battery and test. Put every thing back together.

Sorry for the long post. Hopes it helps anyone with this problem. It took me about 2 hour but after doing this once it should olny take an hour. Works like new again.

Last edited by t42gs3; 12-13-03 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-13-03, 08:50 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

On my 98 the forward/backward motor was replaced and they did work on the up/down motor, all under warranty. The steering wheel was not completely dead but it sounded like it was in a lot of pain as it extended out and down. Since then I try not to use the steering wheel to muscle my way into and out of the car.

Last edited by redgs4; 12-13-03 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-14-03, 06:02 AM
wolfman75
Driver School Candidate

Default better disable it..

thanks guys.. interesting discussion.. sounds like better off disabling it...

AFTER I disable it, I can still adjust it manually using the joystick right? The disabling only stops it from going up and down whenever I put the key in, correct?

Eric
Old 12-14-03, 07:54 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

T42GS3: Your post is very good, detailed and informative. Thank you!

Chuck

Quick Reply: motorized steering wheel tilt