GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 03:49 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st

After careful considerations of many modds - I came to a List of MUST HAVES Uprgrades.
I want to make the car the best it can be without going (FI) Force Induction.
I already have the Borla SS exhaust with Eiabach/KYB-TRD struts - and Good set of Rims.. Recently had 19's went to a more cush 18's. I knew I had to step-up my suspension a notch or two and get some low-end Torque. All these - did alittle but not as much as the list below.

My List -

1. L-Tuned Steering ECU
2. TRD Strut Tower Brace
3. Daizen Sways
4. "Purple Power" PI TC
5. Trans Cooler
6. '03 Upgraded Tail Lights
:edit:
7. RMM LSD 3.76 Torsen Rear End

Let me tell you - I've never been more happy about these upgrades - Its like having a totally new car!
I think this is the most noticeable change I've done with suspension and ride and steering feel and power of the car. I also got one of our own Club lexus members to do the perfect install for me - I took my car to Hennessey Lexus in Atlanta so that V VT-i can do his magic.

I want to tell how each upgrade made its difference!

1. L-tuned Steering ECU - Before it was install - the car's steering was loose and kinda too luxury-like. I was a bit afraid it might make the steering to tight and take away the quality of our cars. Let me tell you - the car acts more precise and crisper/cleaner steering feel yet makes the GS more predictable and controllable and still retain a factory feel..

2. TRD Strut tower brace - I have had other modded cars and I know that a STB is important to any car.
It tightens up the front end, keeps the car from flexing with a lot of power. Though some of "You all" think it didn't make much difference.. In a way - You're right - it doesn't add any Power. It helps strengthen the front end. I notice it even going over bumps and rough roads the car is more ridgid and just feels solid.
I know from experience cause It did the same for my corvette in the past.

3. Daizen Sways - (Don't get mad but this is my opinion) - I had a chance to drive V VT-I's GS430 with TRD sways before my car was done.. His setup is identical to mine except for the TRD sways. He has L-tuned Springs/Struts. I have Eiabach/TRD-KYB. - (same thing)-. He has 18" Volk GTC and I have 18" SpeedLine.
So with this being as close as one can get - I feel the comparison would be fair..
-- First off -- I don't think One is better than the other.. Its a matter of preference and want kind of charcteristic you want your car to have..
Okay- I got into V VT-I's GS and we went for a spin down the road and I was really impressed!!! with the TRD Sways-The car did exactly what you want it too.. It was so precisioned! Yet the ride did not bother me a bit, but it is alittle rougher. Just a Tad.
When My car was done - we took it for a spin down the same road and yes my Daizen's rode like a DREAM- The car felt so factory like with handling equal to the TRD's.. It was smooth and yet handles --words can not describe the feeling!!! I'm not joking these Daizens are the bomb!!!

My Ratings on Both (in my opinion)
Ratings 1-5 : [ 5 being Perfect ]

TRD - Race Feel - 4.9 -
Daizen - Race Feel -4.7-

TRD - Control - 4.9
Daizen - Control - 4.8 : TRD just a tad tigher..

TRD - Lean - 4.99 -
Daizen - Lean -4.98 - So close but u can tell TRD is stiffer.

TRD - Comfort - 4.4 -
Daizen - Confort - 4.9 - Hands down Daizen is just smooth.

TRD - Ride - 4.5 -
Daizen - Ride - 5 - Perfect - This thing is like a factory TRD in our dreams - No JOKE!

In my overall opinion - i think both are just about dead equal in performance, I think our cars should come from the factory with Daizens! and if you want to go more intense you should opt. for the TRD!!

5 years ago - If I had to choose - I would have went for the TRD - Now with me wanting a better ride and overall performance blend. Daizens is a balance performance (race & nice ride) type of upgrade and TRD is a Race oriented Upgrade with alittle more stiffness giving up just alittle bit of ride for the RACE Feel..

Honesty its unfair to judge the two - cause they are different.
Its all in what & how U want your car to feel or Drive like..
They are both Perfect in two different categories -

But if you want a peformance blend of Race & Factory Ride -Daizen is the way to Go!

4. "Purple Power" PI TC - Oh gosh what a difference.. It was raining in Atlanta Thursday and I couldn't really get on it hard but I can tell an immediate difference when I got in the car.. It just felt peppy and wanted to go with any slight touch of the throttle. I will let you guys know more when its dry.. When I left the hotel to come home - I forgot i had the TC for a second and gas the car as usual and it was still wet.. My car went sideways instantly and VSC didn't even have time to kick in.. WOW
I'll let you know more once I can find some dry roads!

5. Trans Cooler - Simple and must have to keep your Tranny running cool and efficient..

6. '03 Tail Lights - Looks good - since My car feels like a new car - now it looks like one too!

:edit:
7. RMM LSD 3.76 Torsen Rear End - Oh yes, thanks for reminding me about that - I will tell you how LSD affect before and after I added the TC.. Since I put on the LSD 1st because I thought it was a safer modd done last summer.. When I added the LSD Without TC - The car did seem alittle stronger in low-end not alot of pep just alittle but traction was definetly better - LSD basically raises your rpm by 400 while driving putting you near your powerband - Cause Let me tell you when I'm driving around even in Automatic mode around 40-80 mph the car wants to pull kinda like you are in one lower gear than suppose to be. You know you have 3.76 gears.
--Now when I added the TC along with the LSD - the car actually seems very balanced and wants to move.
The LSD w/ TC feels like its seamless - The Transmission is smoother theres no feeling like you are in a lower gear than suppose to like before. The car actually feels STOCK except its freakin FAST!!! I mean I was trying to cruise at 80-85Mph and everytime I looked down we were doing 100-105MPH -- smooth as Silk (Hence my Ticket) LOL
These Two LSD and TC work very well together.. I consider it a MUST HAVE!!!

BTW- The car ran so good -Gerogia Trooper Caught me crusing at 105!!! But he let me off with a lower ticket...!!!! Its the first time I had a ticket and was not mad about it!!

I have pics of parts and the install --

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 12-06-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 03:54 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

I want to thank those who made all this possible..
Thanks to Todd at TM for parts, Steve/Collin at Carson Toyota
and especially V VT-I (Nuum) at Hennessey Lexus for doing an Awesome job on my Car.

Thank you guys!

Don
Old 12-05-03, 04:02 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default Pics of new wheels

My new 18's
SpeedLine Wheels
Attached Thumbnails NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st-new-parts-008.jpg  
Old 12-05-03, 04:06 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default Wheels

Closer Pic
Attached Thumbnails NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st-new-parts-016.jpg  
Old 12-05-03, 04:19 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default Wheels

I know - I know.. Some of U are wondering why I had 19's and went to 18's..
Personally 19's are awesome looking besides getting 20's HRE's =The Best.

I wanted to go with a performace blend of ride and racy and felt 19's look great but rode too hard.
18 is lighter and you get more tire for those burnouts and more comfort for those long trips. also Tires are half as less for 18's than 19's.. Big Plus...

Before Pic with 19's
Attached Thumbnails NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st-lexus-wheels-091.jpg  
Old 12-05-03, 05:03 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude -

Nice ride.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 12-05-03 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 05:31 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
Dude -

Nice ride.

Pete
I agree
Old 12-05-03, 06:17 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1QWKGS4,

Thanks for the review. I will get these things done one by one as soon as I get my car loan fully paid off.
Old 12-05-03, 06:49 PM
chanhichan
Driver School Candidate

your car is nice!!!!! rmm front and veilside rear and side.
nice combination!!!!

I hope i have enough money to mod my car..... bad economy.....

I have a question though, is 03 tail light different from 01 tail light?
Old 12-05-03, 07:11 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Thanks all.. I am totally in love with my car all over again..
Remember when you would make an excuse to do something so you can drive the car? Man, I'm itching to get behind the wheel..

I have more pics soon..

-Hey Chanhichan - '01-04 Tail Lights all the same!

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 12-05-03 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-05-03, 08:47 PM
gnelson
Driver

Talking Contact me...

1QWKGS4, I PM'd you... Contact me ASAP, please

Gary
Old 12-06-03, 06:18 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

great write up dude.....
Old 12-06-03, 08:10 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sways

i really like the review of both sets of sways and all the different categories. nice level of detail, very well done. thank you
Old 12-06-03, 10:13 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up Don. You forgot about the RMM LSD on your car, but I think it's an old mod for and that why you car went side way without the VSC.
Your car looks great in person and great choice on mods and kits. The big smile on his face tell it's all when we went for a test drive.
Great comparison on the swayswith an open mind. I'll see you soon and hope you can make it to Atl. one day. Then may be we go for a ride on Bit's car with similar mods as your, except the big brake and the rear Tom's LCB.
Yeah, Purple Power rules( PI).
Old 12-06-03, 01:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default SpeedLine Wheels

Close up on the wheels in the daytime..
Attached Thumbnails NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st-speedline18.jpg  

Quick Reply: NEW Modds - I should have done this 1st