GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP!!! Check Engine, VSC and VSC Off Lights Come On!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 04:54 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! Check Engine, VSC and VSC Off Lights Come On!

I have used the search function and found similar but not exact issues as what i have here.

Car:1999 GS 300
Mileage: 62K
Maintainance: Just complete 60K Service @ Wilkie Lexus Dealer
Work Done: New Rear Brake Pads and New Sparkplugs Replaced

Issue: Driving to Supermarket today in the afternoon, temp outside 62F, the car engine was still running, but loss all driving power, I stepped on the gas paddle and no RPM rev, no pulls, nothing. The "Check Engine", "VSC" and "VSC OFF" lights came on all at once. The car was still moving, but @ under 20 mile/hour and has no driving power. I pulled it to a stop off the road, shut off the engine, restarted, same lights and same issue occured.

I quickly turned around and drove the car back to the house. Shut off the engine, restart it, REV up super high, got the driving power back. BUT the lights are still one @ this point.

I did find on this board with some info. regarding this problem. I checked the gas cap, nice and tightly closed. Someone mentioned the alternator could be going bad???? Speed Sensor got whacked? Misfiring causing by new sparkplugs? Rear Pad worn out? ABS Sensor was bad?

Please HELP!!!!

I will take the car back to the dealer since it seems all the similar problems pointed to Sparkplugs and Rear Pad which were put on and replaced by dealer.

Thanks and HELP

Chuck
Old 11-23-03, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

The cases of lights I had which were speed sensor related did not have the check engine light on so you can rule that out.
Old 11-23-03, 05:32 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Bit!

The more I read the posts on the board, the more I believe and convince that it's the issue with the newly replaced sparkplugs that Lexus just put in my car on Friday. I'm taking the car over the dealer tomorrow and we'll find out for sure.

But

Gentlements, Keep the dyno coming.... I need as much info on this as possible to talk to the tech guy tomorrow.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 11-23-03, 06:18 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When they replaced your spark plugs they will have to removed the intake hose and They forgot to plug something back on. Bring it back for them to check. What is the code?
JPI
Old 11-23-03, 06:39 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I just went down in the garage and check out EVERYTHING I could visually inspect. Gas Cap is tightly closed. Nothing looks difference in the engine bay. You think it's something they did with the intake??? DAMN it, I am getting really pissed off right now, if it's true how Wilkie Lexus messes up my car... we would have a major issue, I will raise hell! This will also cost me a day off work.

I do not know the "Error Code"... How do you you find that if you if you were me, I don't have a code scanner!

Thanks JPI!

Keep it's coming guys! Thanks in advance!

Chuck
Old 11-23-03, 06:48 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Chuck,
You will need a scanner to read the code. Don't freak out, eveyrthing will be ok. I've seen TPS(throttle position sensor) fail on the gs all the time. When you bring your vehicle back to the dealer, ask them what code it is. Good luck.
JPI
Old 11-24-03, 06:55 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

I dropped the car off @ the dealer this morning. The tech took her in for code-scan. YUP!!! I will need a TPS replaced. SUX big time! Just had my car serviced last Friday and now it's back in the shop for new issue. I am getting weak!!!
Old 11-24-03, 07:06 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear that. Is the insurance company going to pay for this? I know the TPS will run you around $150 labor another $120.
JPI
Old 11-25-03, 06:15 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Part $225: one (1) TPS level.
Labor: $80 (2) hours
Car drives like brand new with ton of power and amazingly smooth acceleration and huge huge throttle boost: PRICELESS!!!

BAD: Scam Artist from Warranty Gold was supposed to pick up the tap but that SOB company is out of business. Thanks ClubLexus for used to be sponsored by them! (Yeah, I'm bitter! Not going to hide it!)
hehehe

Thank you for all your responses and great advices. (JPI, bitkahuna )