GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help me identify this noise (recording included)? 2013 GS350 AWD

Old 06-10-15, 02:56 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help me identify this noise (recording included)? 2013 GS350 AWD

I finally got a recording of this, after trying to describe it without much success. Dealer drove the car 2x and claimed they don't hear it.

As you can hear (if you turn speakers up, recording isn't very sensitive), it's kind of a high pitched whistling sound or whining sound. Happens when coasting (foot off gas) at 60mph. In gear or neutral, same noise. Only around that speed, only when foot off the gas.

What do you think this is? Some have suggested wheel bearing but if you listen this is more of a steady high pitched noise, not a helicopter like sound.

Would a dealer tech be willing to listen to this video? Would that be helpful?
Old 06-10-15, 03:29 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't hear anything in the video, but my guess would be it's your side mirrors making the noise.
Old 06-10-15, 04:11 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

It's kind of drowned out by the road noise but if you crank up volume you will hear a distinct sound in second half of the video.

I suppose I could fold up my mirrors in a safe spot and try it with them folded to see if sound is gone or different.

Anyone else hear the sound and able to recognize it?
Old 06-10-15, 04:45 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If your car came with an OEM clear bra, then chances are your mirrors have the film on them as well. We had a few members here who said they experience the whistling sound at highway speeds. If I remember correctly, they had to take the film off their mirrors.
Old 06-10-15, 04:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzakiel
It's kind of drowned out by the road noise but if you crank up volume you will hear a distinct sound in second half of the video.

Anyone else hear the sound and able to recognize it?
I hear three distinct [same] and related sounds (sounds like uhh, uhh, uuuuhhhh) that begins at the 5 second mark. The last of the three 'uhh' sounds is much longer in time and it (the last uhh) lasts through to about the 9 second mark. Is my description anything like what you are hearing?

I know you said it happens even in neutral (out of a transmission gear), but it sounds exactly like a slight gear whine noise to me. One may call it a slight whine that some gears 'give off' when the gears go from being 'under load' to an unloaded or 'no load' condition. Bearings will sometimes give off a similar noise going from a loaded to unloaded condition. I could see that noise with a AWD car for instance.

I can't say that I have heard this noise in mine, but with it being up to 100 degrees here in Dallas my A/C fans are running pretty high and I'm listening to music. Do you only hear this noise when everything is quiet (no audio or fans turned On)?

Edit: I see you have a AWD. I suspect the noise is related to the AWD components.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-10-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 05:05 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Bclexus: those sounds continue as long as the car keeps coasting. If it maintains the right speed it will go on forever with no pauses, like when going slightly downhill. Definitely happens in neutral as well as in gear.
Old 06-10-15, 05:08 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Didn't watch your video but I know what you're talking about.

I saw another discussion of this same noise on here. Many AWD drivers chimed in and said they have it. I also have this noise at the exact speeds you describe.

A couple people said the dealers told them it was normal. A couple people said the dealers claimed they couldn't hear it. Someone said their 4Runner made the same noise. Seems to be related to AWD.

Since it is so common I am thinking (hoping) it is nothing to worry about. I usually have my music loud enough that I won't hear it so it doesn't really bother me day to day.
Old 06-10-15, 05:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Bclexus: those sounds continue as long as the car keeps coasting. If it maintains the right speed it will go on forever with no pauses, like when going slightly downhill. Definitely happens in neutral as well as in gear.
You did not answer my questions...

I'm guessing it is the AWD. I suspect if you had a passenger put a long handle screwdriver on the tunnel at your right knee where the drive shaft runs to the front of the car he'd hear it louder if he put his ear to the handle. Or a stethoscope with a long tube would work.
Old 06-10-15, 05:29 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Bclexus: sorry, thought I had covered it. Yes, your description was correct of the sound. I hear the sound with or without the fan or audio on. Those things help mask it but do not eliminate it.

It's believable to me that it's AWD related, but I wonder if anything can be done about it.
Old 06-10-15, 06:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Bclexus: sorry, thought I had covered it. Yes, your description was correct of the sound. I hear the sound with or without the fan or audio on. Those things help mask it but do not eliminate it.

It's believable to me that it's AWD related, but I wonder if anything can be done about it.
I do not think anything can be done to eliminate the noise. I'm sure the appropriate Lexus engineers know that their AWD vehicles have a bit more noise, but I suspect only one in a 100 owners would care about it - if they even hear it at all. You might spend a lot of time, money and effort to add some [extra] sound-deadening material to the already thick underlayment and carpeting, but it is doubtful that would make much difference.

If you have ever been around a 4-wheel drive or AWD vehicle you should know that the extra components to power the front wheels come with a lot of necessary rotating parts that make noise.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-10-15 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 07:00 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Can verify its not mirrors. Just took a drive with them folded up to see if it made any difference. It did not.

BClexus: can't say I have ever heard this in my other AWD cars. Maybe I've been lucky.
Old 06-11-15, 03:28 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm my '15 GS is not showing this issue yet however this sounds very familiar to my '10 TL SH-AWD when it had a bad propeller shaft. Take a look at the post here about the issue it is about the RL but the same SH-AWD system. There are plenty of complaints as well on the TL forums about the same issue:
http://acurazine.com/forums/second-g...l-whir-754805/

That whine is almost spot on to what my TL was doing. I had my propeller shaft changed at 27K mile on that car and never had the issue again up to when it was traded off at 50K.
Old 06-21-15, 01:05 PM
vol96
Rookie

My '13 GS 350 AWD (44k miles) makes a similar noise and like yours, its only at 60 mph. Yours sounds like a dove in the center console. Mine sounds like a whistley whine, is more pronounced and only with no load or light load at 60 mph. If you accel or decel, no noise. Steady 60 mph you get the whine. Just finished a 2k road trip. If I heard the whine, I knew I was doing 60.

Gonna call dealer tomorrow and make appt.
Old 06-21-15, 04:35 PM
Tzakiel
Driver School Candidate

Vol96, what you describe is EXACTLY what I have. Please get back to me with results of the visit. Push them on it. This stinks.
Old 06-21-15, 05:59 PM
balfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '13 and the same whine noise when getting off the gas. It is the transfer case, and when you consider the case is under the driver side floor any noise will be easily transmitted to the cabin. I don't usually notice it unless I'm driving without the radio on or something. Mildly annoying but I doubt there is anything a dealer would do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me identify this noise (recording included)? 2013 GS350 AWD