GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Policy Change (for me) - Service Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 12:23 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Policy Change (for me) - Service Loaner

I know it has been talked about before on here but just ran into the minimal service for a loaner policy at my dealership. This is a change from before, (my previous Lexus) when I was able to get a loaner for any service. I have in the past spent much on service for my old lexus so not just someone new.

I scheduled, via website, an oil change and tire rotation and was contacted with the following - "I just wanted to see what mileage interval you were at. There is a 15,000 mile service which does not require oil but does include rotation, wipers, cabin filter, and key battery replacement. The cost for the service is $325. Oil for your vehicle is due every 10,000 miles. "

Which I knew since I have 19K now, thus the oil change. I replied requesting only an Oil/Filter change and Tire Rotation.

Response - "In order to get a loaner vehicle you would need to do a basic maintenance which includes both items the cost is $175 + tax. "

I find most of the items on the Basic Service to be a filler and thus a tax to own a Lexus. I consider myself handy but there is so little one can do anymore on new cars without equipment. Paying a dealer to change wipers, air filters, fob batteries, checking floor mats just eviscerates any manliness left. Ironically the salesperson encouraged doing these things on my own, down to demoing how to open the key.
Old 06-03-15, 01:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Each dealer is different, but at mine it does not matter what service you are having done, just the duration. Loaners are provided for any service appointment expected to last 2 hours or more. I have, however, been successful in asking for a loaner for a service that was shorter than that. Your situation here is peculiar.
Old 06-03-15, 01:44 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

It definitely varies between dealers. My dealer has a large fleet of loaners, so they are able to give them out for any service done. Recently my mom was refused a loaner when she called in to schedule 5K mile service with her ES (receptionist said it was a free service and that it wouldn't take long), but after her advisor finished writing it up he offered her one. Maybe that'll be the case for you?

The German car dealers around me are very stingy with their loaners and have that policy of only "maintenance" services get loaners. They have smaller fleets, and they are usually their cheapest models with no Nav and mileage limits. Defintely get better dealer experience at Lexus.
Old 06-03-15, 01:45 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Each dealer is different, but at mine it does not matter what service you are having done, just the duration. Loaners are provided for any service appointment expected to last 2 hours or more. I have, however, been successful in asking for a loaner for a service that was shorter than that. Your situation here is peculiar.
That is the way it use to be for me. I will ask for how long it takes for oil/tire and then schedule and wait. I will hold them to the time estimate. Loaners make their life easier because they are then not held to getting the car out in time. While waiting I will look at the new models and have a soda.
Old 06-03-15, 02:02 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dchar
It definitely varies between dealers. My dealer has a large fleet of loaners, so they are able to give them out for any service done. Recently my mom was refused a loaner when she called in to schedule 5K mile service with her ES (receptionist said it was a free service and that it wouldn't take long), but after her advisor finished writing it up he offered her one. Maybe that'll be the case for you?

The German car dealers around me are very stingy with their loaners and have that policy of only "maintenance" services get loaners. They have smaller fleets, and they are usually their cheapest models with no Nav and mileage limits. Defintely get better dealer experience at Lexus.
I agree. Not complaining, I know their job is to get you to spend money. While our goal is to spend less, or at least spend money when there is value. No value to me to check my floor mats (which I do each time I vacuum) and the like.
Old 06-03-15, 02:34 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lexus dealers have usually been great. One dealer I used to use killed loaners but had an Enterprise rental on site. Screw that! I bought 3 cars from these guys and drove past 2 other delers to use the, because I liked the service people. I switched to the closest one and they never hesitated to give me. loaner if I requested one. I now live in Orange County and the dealer here is great with loaners as well. When I owned a Mercedes the dealer ALWAYS snt me to the Enterprise on site. One time, they needed my car for a week, bad ignition coils AGAIN, and the only loaner they had for rent was a Red Dodge Dakota pickup truck. I told them forget it. If Intold you the price of the car I'm talking about you wouldn't believe it! That was my last German car.
Old 06-03-15, 02:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

How a dealer handles loaners usually boils down to what their local competition does.
Old 06-03-15, 06:50 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My Lexus dealer gives me a coupon for $20 to their Vintana restaurant upstairs if I do not take a loaner. Had the 6 month service done on my car last month and went upstairs and had lunch while they worked on the car.

Old 06-03-15, 08:21 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
My Lexus dealer gives me a coupon for $20 to their Vintana restaurant upstairs if I do not take a loaner. Had the 6 month service done on my car last month and went upstairs and had lunch while they worked on the car.

Old 06-03-15, 10:48 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow. That double decker dealer puts Park Place Lexus to shame, they have a new dealership that's huge but this is another level.
Old 06-03-15, 11:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yeah we get hosed with dealers on the east coast lol. Our nicest dealers are nothing like that!

Loaner policy depends on the dealer. I think the policy you were quoted Doug is BS. Any other dealers in your area?

The reason you pay the Lexus premium for any service, and $175 for an oil change and tire rotation is a premium price, is the convenience and quality of the experience and to me, that includes a loaner. I would NEVER have service done at Lexus if I could not have a loaner. Doesn't matter if it "doesn't take long" I have better things to do than sit in a dealership.
Old 06-04-15, 05:26 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah we get hosed with dealers on the east coast lol. Our nicest dealers are nothing like that!

Loaner policy depends on the dealer. I think the policy you were quoted Doug is BS. Any other dealers in your area?

The reason you pay the Lexus premium for any service, and $175 for an oil change and tire rotation is a premium price, is the convenience and quality of the experience and to me, that includes a loaner. I would NEVER have service done at Lexus if I could not have a loaner. Doesn't matter if it "doesn't take long" I have better things to do than sit in a dealership.
Unfortunately, nothing close. This dealer is 5 minutes from the house. Others would be more than an hour which defeats the purpose of not waiting. I work from home and am a consultant so time is money.

I believe the service rep got a bug up his butt when we communicated via email and I turned down the 15K/20K service interval. I tried calling the rep but no answer(I don't like voice mail), so I set up appointment for an at opening time so should have no issue getting in on time. I requested they tell me if it would take more than 75 minutes. Should be plenty of time for oil and tire No Wash. I made it 2 weeks out so I am hoping I hear back I am getting a loaner.

I do not feel entitled to a loaner but I deserve a reasonable time commitment from them. I will admit I did expect a loaner. It is as much benefit for them as myself.

I recently read your string about 30K which includes brake fluid replacement not flush. Other than that same thing. Looks like I am buying a turkey baster to remove the reservoir fluid instead of paying a tax.
Old 06-04-15, 05:57 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, holy touching Christ that is a nice Lexus dealership!
Old 06-04-15, 05:59 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
I agree. Not complaining, I know their job is to get you to spend money. While our goal is to spend less, or at least spend money when there is value. No value to me to check my floor mats (which I do each time I vacuum) and the like.
Check your floor mats???? Is this one of those "muffler bearing" jokes?
Old 06-04-15, 06:14 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Check your floor mats???? Is this one of those "muffler bearing" jokes?
No that's a Lexus lost a lawsuit over an ES that crashed and people perished on account of floor mats.

And that is some dealership.

Quick Reply: Policy Change (for me) - Service Loaner