GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013-14 GS350 or 2014 ACURA RLX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 12:58 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in a very similar situation, living in Chicago I was looking at the TLX vs the GS just a few months ago and ended up going with the GS AWD F-Sport.

I have never driven the RLX but I'm sure it rides like most Acuras, confident, well put together but not much wow factor behind the wheel? The TLX gave me the impression that it was designed for someone who didn't care for any sporty characteristics and just wanted a nicer car to get them from A to B.

After you driver the new GS (I recommend test driving both the AWD F Sport and the non-F Sport to really get a sense of their handling), you'll notice the suspension is MUCH better than Acura and with the adjustable suspension in the luxury package or F Sport package you can really dial in for some sporty driving that will really surprise you with it's abilities. Although fuel economy may suffer, you'll also really appreciate the 6 speed transmission in the AWD versions, it's extremely smooth and always finds the right gears, something the TLX (and my TL) seemed to miss on with their 8 speed and 9 speed trannys.

Ground clearance was definitely something I was looking at and the GS has plenty at 5+ inches. I previously had a 2012 TL and the front bumber sat very low, plowing snow down my alley as I drove but the GS front bumper sits a good 3-4 inches higher and clears most curbs when parking in the city which is nice. This allowed me to punch through every snow fall that I encountered in Feb & March this passed year.

Overall, it was a no brainer for me since I was leasing and found the lease prices to be almost identical, even though the GS was around $15,000 more. The GS had every option I needed, with a few more extras here and there, looked better in my opinion, handled much better, and buying a Lexus over an Acura just made me feel like I was driving a nicer brand overall. I had previously leased an Acura TSX and then a TL and both cars were very nice cars, but Acura in my opinion always did the MINIMUM necessary to build a nice car, missing little features here and there that I bet you'll find Lexus cars will include without you even knowing.

If you find yourself wanting to really DRIVE a car then go Lexus. If you want the car to drive you then go Acura.
Old 05-18-15, 06:16 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you could find an RLX Sport Hybrid (SH-SH-AWD) - and it was the same/similar price as a GS, I think you should test drive / consider it. It should handle better than the FWD RLX. But they are really hard to find - Acura even discontinued it for 2016 I believe.

I think if you're comparing the FWD RLX to the RWD GS or even AWD GS you're going to find the GS drives a lot better. The only area where the RLX does better is in gas mileage thanks to its FWD configuration and other features (like cylinder deactivation).

Most folks who sit in my GS though are super impressed by the interior, I'm certainly biased because I own one - but I've never gotten so many compliments on the car's interior before - the RLX materials and fit & finish are really good, but it has the same look as every other Acura.

This is the 2016 ILX:

This is the 2014 RLX:
Old 05-19-15, 03:47 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Just don't forget about the pedal detent, that will unleash all the power.
Ok im curious.......... What pedal detent??
Old 05-19-15, 11:39 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by KOOLFELLA
Ok im curious.......... What pedal detent??
It's the last click after u floor the pedal, which makes the car downshifts more aggressively when passing. It's very useful when ur trying to get out of a sticky situation.
Old 05-19-15, 12:33 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

It's the last click after u floor the pedal, which makes the car downshifts more aggressively when passing. It's very useful when ur trying to get out of a sticky situation.
Perhaps the adrenaline is flowing too much when I'm flooring my GS but I haven't noticed this either (or maybe it's b/c my paddle shifting obsession makes the detent obsolete in most cases).

I definitely knew my 2005 BMW X3 had it with it's smaller 225hp engine b/c I was basically forced to floor it all the time to get the car moving on the highway.

I will now have a very fun drive home in my GS...
Old 05-19-15, 02:51 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC
If you could find an RLX Sport Hybrid (SH-SH-AWD) - and it was the same/similar price as a GS, I think you should test drive / consider it. It should handle better than the FWD RLX. But they are really hard to find - Acura even discontinued it for 2016 I believe.

I think if you're comparing the FWD RLX to the RWD GS or even AWD GS you're going to find the GS drives a lot better. The only area where the RLX does better is in gas mileage thanks to its FWD configuration and other features (like cylinder deactivation).

Most folks who sit in my GS though are super impressed by the interior, I'm certainly biased because I own one - but I've never gotten so many compliments on the car's interior before - the RLX materials and fit & finish are really good, but it has the same look as every other Acura.

This is the 2016 ILX:

This is the 2014 RLX:
that 2016 sure has A LOT of steering wheel buttons.
Old 05-21-15, 12:37 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

I would pick the 4GS over any Acuras any day. I don't think they're even in the same level as Lexus.

Plus I don't trust Honda anymore after my new 2014 Accord gave me Xmas lights on the dash after just 1 year, endless TPMS lights that come and go daily and cylinder misfiring. I checked online and there are many with the same problem. The build quality is nowhere near a Lexus. Don't know about Acuras build but the styling was never appealing to me.
I agree. I had a 2012 Accord that gave me a number of problems, and that combined with the dealership experience? I'm done with Honda/Acura. And that's AFTER having an Acura AND a Honda that I really, really liked. Build quality, material quality, and design have fallen off a cliff. Maybe the new Acura is better? Maybe it's not. I won't be the one finding out.

I think the older Acuras had a nice look to them, but the new ones make me wonder if they're getting ANY feedback at all on these designs before they roll them out. The headlights are the best part of their designs. But then again, to each their own - it's just not for me.
Old 05-21-15, 06:30 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
that 2016 sure has A LOT of steering wheel buttons.
LOL, good point - I didn't even notice that
Old 05-21-15, 09:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mcb345
Perhaps the adrenaline is flowing too much when I'm flooring my GS but I haven't noticed this either (or maybe it's b/c my paddle shifting obsession makes the detent obsolete in most cases).

I definitely knew my 2005 BMW X3 had it with it's smaller 225hp engine b/c I was basically forced to floor it all the time to get the car moving on the highway.

I will now have a very fun drive home in my GS...
If ur paddle shifting in M mode then the pedal detent is no use. Man I love the M mode in my car, flexing its muscle through the RPM in S+ M mode and watching everybody else got passed like they were standing still is really addicting.

I was flooring my CT when merging on the highway today and it barely moves. If I do that in the GS it'll make me go

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I agree. I had a 2012 Accord that gave me a number of problems, and that combined with the dealership experience? I'm done with Honda/Acura. And that's AFTER having an Acura AND a Honda that I really, really liked. Build quality, material quality, and design have fallen off a cliff. Maybe the new Acura is better? Maybe it's not. I won't be the one finding out.

I think the older Acuras had a nice look to them, but the new ones make me wonder if they're getting ANY feedback at all on these designs before they roll them out. The headlights are the best part of their designs. But then again, to each their own - it's just not for me.
I was at the Auto Show a few years ago and saw there was barely anybody looking at the Acura's section while other manufacturers are packed, especially Lexus when they first introduced the new GS and IS. I told my buddy do u see that? That's really sad.

I like the simple and classy looking of my dash compared to the busy, all buttons like most cars out there.
Old 05-21-15, 11:12 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I responded to this in another one of your threads but will do it here. I have NO brand loyalty at all so I don't care about one brand over the other. I have had 3 Lexus cars. 1992 ES300 (2001-2004), 2001 GS400 (2005),2006 GS300 AWD (2009-2015). I have had 3 acura's. 2001 TL-s (2001), 1998 acura NSX supercharged widebody (2001-2005), 2014 acura RLX advanced (May 2015).

I will some it up the way I see it. If you buy new there isn't a choice you get the GS because the GS is the best value and the resale value of the RLX is really bad and takes a huge hit the first year. This is what you do if you buy New in my opinion.

Now if you buy Used this is where it gets tough. Lets say your goal is the Upper 30's for what you want to spend. For the Mid to Upper 30's you can get either a Low mileage RLX advanced or a 2013 GS350 with 20K+ miles on it, (lower miles the higher in the 30's you go). I am referring to a CPO GS350. When comparing these cars I saw 2 RLX's one with 14K miles for $39K and then one with 6K for $38,800. The one for $39K was in Arkansas and I talked them down to $37 over the phone and that was the Mercedes dealership in Arkansas. That one had a bug guard on it. I waited too long to get that one someone came in from Chicago and got it. The next one was in Alabama they wanted $38,800 and I talked them down to $36,500. I didn't know it but it has $1000 more worth of options on it such as remote start, rear spoiler, mud guards etc. I chose the RLX over the GS because bascailly that car was just 1 year old that month and had almost no miles so to me that is like having a brand new car for close to 1/2 the MSRP. For me to get a Lexus. I wanted a blindspot monitor, Luxury package, maybe mark levingston, I would have to setting for a 3 year old lexus (2012 sold date, and have 20k+ miles and I found several CPO's around $37,700 (grapevine Park Place Dallas). I do prefer the look of the GS but to me the interiors of them are both are close. GS is a little better but not major better. The RLX Krell System kills the Mark Levingston (I drove to dallas to get into one just to test it).

So to some it up when we are talking about USED cars. I suggest getting atleast the TECH and would go straight to Advanced if I were you.

RLX Positives vs GS:
Better sound system then the Lexus
Better Gas Mileage
More "Tech" for the price (couldn't find ANY lexus close to the tech that the advanced RLX has in it at any price).
More Room inside
Extremely Rare (One reason I like it, Never seen one anywhere yet Only 12 for sale in a 500 square mile radius of me)
Fold Up Mirrors (GS doesn't have until 2014 models)

RLX negatives VS GS:
Turing Radius (hard to maneuver in the parking lot vs GS)
Bland Styling
Lower Status Symbol (Lexus is a premium brand, acura is just so so)
Not as Fun to drive, more of a cruiser like the LS, not that sporty
Cannot be modded (not sure of it haven't looked into it but don't think it can)
Resale Value the 1st year (no way the resale value can drop like it did in the first year)

There might be more but I am writing this fast and I have things to do. I had my 2006 GS 300 when I bought ththe RLX 2014. if I didn't have my 2006 GS (it got totaled 4 days ago), I would have changed my mind and ended up with a loaded out 2013 GS 350 from grapevine Lexus because I want to "show off" in the future when I get this weight off. Kind of hard showing off the RLX. If I wanted to show off I could have shown off in the highly modded 2006 I had. I made the decision basically solely on "best bang for the buck". I still would have made that decision. The #1 on my list was Reliablity. I wanted a car that could go 100K 200K miles with no problems both Honda and Toyota to me are the same. That is why BMW, Mercedes, Audi didn't get choosen. the 2006 lexus I had, I had 1 repair in 150K miles. All of the acura RL's I have heard about never need fixing either. There is a lot of TSB's for them but not anything major.

Hopefully some of this helps. I Have driven the RLX several days now and like it each time I get into it. The next car I get if I get one soon will be a 2016 GSF in 2-3 years after it comes out. I will trade the RLX in for it or I will just keep the RLX, depending on the price of the GSF is at that time.
Old 05-22-15, 08:01 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
The one for $39K was in Arkansas and I talked them down to $37 over the phone and that was the Mercedes dealership in Arkansas. That one had a bug guard on it. I waited too long to get that one someone came in from Chicago and got it.
Someone from Chicago flew to Arkansas and drove it back to Chicago?!?
Old 05-22-15, 01:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yea my 14 Accord had a really bad turning radius too. Is all Honda like that now? U-turns in that car is always impossible without blocking traffic and people throwing rocks at u, even if u have plenty of room (lanes). Toyotas can U-turn like a boss.
Old 05-22-15, 01:21 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh yea my 14 Accord had a really bad turning radius too. Is all Honda like that now? U-turns in that car is always impossible without blocking traffic and people throwing rocks at u, even if u have plenty of room (lanes). Toyotas can U-turn like a boss.
Not all Honda!!! Our family 2012 Honda Odyssey has the best U-turn ration then any other Japanese cars I drove... I can make a U-turn on Odyssey but can't on my TL SH-AWD (same street)... I know I know all wheel drive...
Old 05-22-15, 07:02 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

My understanding is that it also is a limitation of front wheel drive, you only have so much mechanical flexibility when the front wheels have to do more than just turn left and right.
Old 05-22-15, 08:43 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
My understanding is that it also is a limitation of front wheel drive, you only have so much mechanical flexibility when the front wheels have to do more than just turn left and right.
My 2011 Camry FWD can U-turn like a boss.

I think Honda put a stopper on the steering to prevent power steering hose cracking or something.

Quick Reply: 2013-14 GS350 or 2014 ACURA RLX?