GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Jumping, while cornering

Old 05-10-15, 06:28 PM
jmoney6
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jumping, while cornering

The other day, I saw a very cute girl driving an audi and of course wanted to impress her with some aggressive driving.

we were both at a stop light turning left, she on the inside me on the outside. I put the car in s+ and went halfway through the turn the car started jumping from the front end. It could have been a bump int he road but it made me nervous. Any oen else have a similar issue? It also seems like with the 19's I get some running once in a while.
Old 05-10-15, 07:20 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

No. But when I floor mine when turning I drift! I always do that in my work parking lot when nobody's there and did that once in the rain, it was scary and fun at the same time.
Old 05-10-15, 07:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney6
The other day, I saw a very cute girl driving an audi and of course wanted to impress her with some aggressive driving.

we were both at a stop light turning left, she on the inside me on the outside. I put the car in s+ and went halfway through the turn the car started jumping from the front end. It could have been a bump in the road but it made me nervous. Any oen else have a similar issue? It also seems like with the 19's I get some running once in a while.
So, let me see if I got this right. The cute girl in the Audi made you nervous and she beat you turning left at a stoplight. Now you're trying to blame her beating you on a bump in the road. Did she stop to find out what happened to you, or did the cute girl drive away in victory? Do you have any idea if you impressed her?
Old 05-10-15, 09:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
So, let me see if I got this right. The cute girl in the Audi made you nervous and she beat you turning left at a stoplight. Now you're trying to blame her beating you on a bump in the road. Did she stop to find out what happened to you, or did the cute girl drive away in victory? Do you have any idea if you impressed her?
U don't need to impress any girl if u have Kate. No jumping needed.
Old 05-10-15, 10:23 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When i try impressing a girl, i go straight for the light pole, but that's me though.
Old 05-11-15, 06:16 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed the front end of the GS jump when taking a corner aggressively too. Almost like the car isn't turning fast enough to keep up with the rear wheels pushing it.

First thought was that maybe my front tires need to be replaced, but they have really good tread on them - and the tread is even. This is on dry paved road, so I didn't expect this to happen.
Old 05-11-15, 06:42 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lmao at the OP
Old 05-11-15, 07:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
U don't need to impress any girl if u have Kate. No jumping needed.
Yep, you have Kate Upton - now that is impressive!
Old 05-11-15, 07:59 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't find that issue since my gs was a dedicated track car for a year and a half never did I feel any jump.
Old 05-11-15, 08:12 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

FWD cars have that wheel hop issue sometimes but the GS is RWD and shouldn't have that issue.
Old 05-11-15, 08:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The OP should read about Ackermann Steering Geometry and also about Scrub Radius and Squirm.

When a RWD car with a tight suspension and wide tires makes a small radius turn at a slow speed, one of the front tires can slip, jump or jerk.

Old 05-12-15, 12:18 PM
OHITSKINO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you experienced a bout of the dreaded understeer. Gross.
Old 05-12-15, 06:39 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it was under steering, you were in the wrong gear, turning too sharply, or not feeding it enough gas. RWD cars tend to oversteer if anything.

Still, chasing a girl in an audi? You can do better bro.
Old 05-12-15, 07:44 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

My car too has this dreaded hop at mild speeds during turns. Only when i sport+ mode and only while making a left turn with moderate pedal travel.

This problem does not occur when I take my car to the race track for a track day. When on the gas heavy or full throttle while turning left it does not exibit this problem at all. I have no problem drifting this car on the track.

But because this car has low torque its quite hard to maintain a long consistent drift. All my other RWD cars in the pass does not have this problem, that the GS has on sharp left turns with moderate throttle.
Old 05-13-15, 04:48 AM
OHITSKINO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All cars will understeer depending on how they're driven. It's just possible to get RWD cars to oversteer... very hard for an FWD or even AWD to oversteer. I'm willing to bet that the OP went through the turn too slowly but was attempting to turn too sharply. Hence, understeer. A little bit of throttle would solve that problem nicely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jumping, while cornering