Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Carwash

Old 04-28-15, 12:35 AM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carwash

This is a discussion I am also having at the Dutch Lexus forums. However I don't feel like I am getting any satisfactory answers there.

One of the nice things about getting new big wheels is that the car looks nice. One of the downsides is the carwash.

My daily life is very busy and I don't always have the time available to use a carwash box and give my car the bath is deserves .

One of the issues with carwashes seems to be the rails of the carwash:

- Tire height. Most rails of the car-washes (at least in the Netherlands) require at least 6cm (2.4 inch). This is not always mentioned by the carwash.
- In most carwashes the car is being pulled to the right side of the rails to avoid visual damage. However the inside of your rim may still get damaged.
- Since my front tires are quite stretched, the tire protection is therefore not very effective.

So how do you guys deal with that?
Old 04-28-15, 01:47 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sup Hube,

First of all let me just say that I would be mortified to take my whip through an automatic car wash, especially with new (and expensive!) wheels like yours.

The best option for you I think is a getting a hand car wash. Sure its around double what you would pay for an automatic car wash but at least theres less of a chance to damage your wheels...

hope this helps

MEAHT
Old 04-28-15, 06:56 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i never take my cars to MACHINE WASH, that's NO NO NO and NO. machine wash is the worst you can do to your cars, you'll get a lot of light scratches and marks.
Old 04-28-15, 07:25 AM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the nice things about Southern California... Hand wash carwashes are stupid cheap. Something about cheap immigrant labor
Old 04-28-15, 08:25 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfSnap
One of the nice things about Southern California... Hand wash carwashes are stupid cheap. Something about cheap immigrant labor
This. I pay $8 plus tip for a good 'ole fashioned hand wash.
Old 04-28-15, 09:16 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The last time I gave my car to those guys they scratch my wheel and cut my tire. The problem is they still run it through the machine with rails then clean it by hand.

Now, no more! I wash my own car at the self serve car wash.
Old 04-28-15, 10:58 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfSnap
Just cause it a cheap hand wash doesn't mean it the best. Depending on what they use they can still scratch and mar paint so I'll pass on that $5 wash for paying to get it paint corrected later unless the cars a beater. If you don't have the time OP I suggested get your car coated for eas of maintenance when you do have the time. But on that note you'll have to prep the car to be coated.
Old 04-28-15, 12:48 PM
hube
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So my suspicion is correct. Avoid them altogether and just use the hand pressure washers

There are some people with low profile tires that I know that claim there no damage whatsoever to the wheels and they take them through these carwashes on a regular basis.

Anyway, it is clear for me, I'll take it to the self service wash. Having some else do it is like at least 100 euro's in The Netherlands because you'll need to take it to a pro. Cheap labour is very expensive here
Old 04-28-15, 07:51 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Just cause it a cheap hand wash doesn't mean it the best. Depending on what they use they can still scratch and mar paint so I'll pass on that $5 wash for paying to get it paint corrected later unless the cars a beater. If you don't have the time OP I suggested get your car coated for eas of maintenance when you do have the time. But on that note you'll have to prep the car to be coated.
+1 the scratching part is probably the drying part. You won't see them washing the car with any grit guards or anything.
Old 04-29-15, 07:39 AM
jv6792
Rookie

i live in SoCaL and there are a bunch of car wash stations here and even more mobile car wash services. Most of the stations run the car through the auto wash machine even though they say 100% handwash which really ends up messing up your paint. So, basically if you dont care about scratches, swirls, marring and holograms, then a $5 wash should be fine for you.
Old 04-29-15, 12:01 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Originally Posted by jv6792
i live in SoCaL and there are a bunch of car wash stations here and even more mobile car wash services. Most of the stations run the car through the auto wash machine even though they say 100% handwash which really ends up messing up your paint. So, basically if you dont care about scratches, swirls, marring and holograms, then a $5 wash should be fine for you.
I normally go to Norco Hills Car Wash. It's about $16 for their turbo wax, which is inside and outside service. They have a tunnel. There are no mechanical parts of the tunnel that touch the car. Only human's touching the car with their wash mitts, and soap/wax/water dispensed by the tunnel machines. It really is a hand wash.
Old 05-01-15, 01:59 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do your homework, be nosy and go around (when possible) and see which hand wash would suit you... Never take your car to a car wash, never let the dealer wash your car... I have not been to a car wash in years... I have no scratches or swirls in my paint. Watch and see how they wash cars, ask questions etc. and if you are comfortable with what you see, then and only then do you trust them to wash your car.
Old 05-01-15, 07:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Do your homework, be nosy and go around (when possible) and see which hand wash would suit you... Never take your car to a car wash, never let the dealer wash your car... I have not been to a car wash in years... I have no scratches or swirls in my paint. Watch and see how they wash cars, ask questions etc. and if you are comfortable with what you see, then and only then do you trust them to wash your car.
How did you avoid putting scratches or swirls in your paint? If you've touched the surface - then you've scratched it...
Old 05-01-15, 09:07 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
How did you avoid putting scratches or swirls in your paint? If you've touched the surface - then you've scratched it...
Surely no vehicle can be maintained to absolute perfection, but I think we can all agree that proper products and techniques will help to greatly reduce the amount of imperfections introduced over time. I believe that is the main point here.
Old 05-02-15, 11:05 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Surely no vehicle can be maintained to absolute perfection, but I think we can all agree that proper products and techniques will help to greatly reduce the amount of imperfections introduced over time. I believe that is the main point here.
This x1000000 I looked at my OB gs and it got swirl marks lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carwash