GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need help with lowering springs and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 10:14 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with lowering springs and TPMS

Okay so I just got my new wheels today for my 13 GS Fsport. Got 20" Niche M130's. Love em and they look great. First question. I had to get new TPMS sensors because I sold the stock ones with the stock wheels. Anyway, the valve stem on the sensor sticks out of its own hole on the rim (backside of rim) and the normal valve stem that you put air in comes out the front. Is it normal for the valve stem on the sensor to be outside the wheel? How would it monitor the pressure then? The instructions even showed that was how it was to be installed. Also my tire pressure does not display on the center monitor on the Guage cluster now. Do I need to have the sensors reprogrammed or the in car sensor? The sensors said they are supposed to not need programming as they learn the ECU or something like that. Any ideas or help? Second question. Since I have 20's now, my car sits a little higher and I want to lower it. I only want about a 1 inch drop tops and still stay similar to factory ride conditions. Any suggestions as to a good spring to get? I don't want Coilovers though. Just springs. Thanks for the help guys. I'll post pics soon.
Old 04-25-15, 10:22 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

The sensor can be in the back of the rim. You just use the stem in the front to inflate air.

And yes, the sensors have to be programmed to the car with a tool. Discount Tire can do it or you could take it to the dealer. Of course the dealer will charge a whole lot more.

Last edited by LexRuger; 04-25-15 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 06:09 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
The sensor can be in the back of the rim. You just use the stem in the front to inflate air.

And yes, the sensors have to be programmed to the car with a tool. Discount Tire can do it or you could take it to the dealer. Of course the dealer will charge a whole lot more.
Okay so here is a pic of my new wheels. Love the way they look. The second pic shows the valve stem of the TPMS sensor coming out the back of the wheel. Now obviously it's supposed to be that way because the wheels had a hole specifically for the TPMS sensor( and the sensor directions showed that is how it is supposed to be mounted) in addition to the hole for the regular valve stem on the front of the wheel. Now I don't know much about how TPMS sensors work except that they do, but how do they monitor tire pressure if the stem is OUTSIDE the wheel? I take it that I need to get the sensors calibrated in order for the computer in the car to read the pressure. I'm not getting a tire pressure warning or light, but I'm also not getting the readings for the pressure. Need help guys.

Old 04-25-15, 08:28 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Yea that's how mine are. The actual electronic piece is inside the wheel, just the stem sticks out.

Lexus sensors have ID numbers associated with them. The ID numbers have to be uploaded to the car or they won't work.
Old 04-25-15, 08:46 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Yea that's how mine are. The actual electronic piece is inside the wheel, just the stem sticks out.

Lexus sensors have ID numbers associated with them. The ID numbers have to be uploaded to the car or they won't work.
These sensors are aftermarket. I bought them at O'Reilly Auto parts. I sold the sensors with my stock fsport wheels. Unfortunately I forgot to get the codes off the sensors ( are they written physically on the electronic part?) and I don't have the boxes anymore. Is there a tool the dealership has that can scan the sensors and get the codes and upload them to the car?
Old 04-25-15, 09:28 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

I believe they can use a type of magnetic scanner to scan the IDs from the sensor through the rim but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 04-25-15, 10:08 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

I believe they can use a type of magnetic scanner to scan the IDs from the sensor through the rim but I'm not 100% sure.
Awesome. I'll find out 2moro as I have to take in my car for the passenger airbag sensor recall. I have them check then and calibrate for me. Any suggestions for lowering springs?