GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front License Plate - need help deciding where and how to install

Old 04-23-15, 11:41 AM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front License Plate - need help deciding where and how to install

My out of state temp tags expire in a few days on my GS F Sport and IL is a 2 plate state so it looks like I need to suck it up and figure out a way to mount the bracket, which I found in the trunk.

Originally I thought I'd just mount it right smack in the middle of the front bumper, drilling the screws in to the plastic fender but I thought it might look better a little lower, perhaps putting it right in middle of the lower spindle grill. I don't think I'm interested in the tow hook / platypus bracket that sits off to the side, so my options are right in the middle or lower in the spindle grill.

I was curious what others thought about placing it lower, both aesthetically and performance wise (since it would potentially block some air going in to the engine bay). I'm also not 100% sure the best way to mount it down that low. I thought perhaps there was a bracket that screwed in below the fender and found this bracket below. Any input AND pictures would be greatly appreciated. I'll need to have this figured out this weekend since my temp tag expires Tuesday so Amazon prime purchases or in store purchases are pretty much my only options for brackets.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 04-23-15, 12:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Unless you drive through Barrington Hills, or Buffalo Grove, don't bother with it. I've gone front plate-less for almost 30 years and have only had to pay one "fix-it" ticket. The cops seem more concerned with tinted windows, than plates in IL.
Old 04-23-15, 12:27 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Unless you drive through Barrington Hills, or Buffalo Grove, don't bother with it. I've gone front plate-less for almost 30 years and have only had to pay one "fix-it" ticket. The cops seem more concerned with tinted windows, than plates in IL.
I live downtown so I'm more worried about the parking meter attendants or cops walking the streets if my car is parked outside.
Old 04-23-15, 12:41 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mcb345
I live downtown so I'm more worried about the parking meter attendants or cops walking the streets if my car is parked outside.
Yeah, not sure about Chicago. I work there, but rarely drive to the city. I hope you're not planning on tinting. It was recently allowed in the 'burbs, but Chicago has a "home rule" ordinance against ANY aftermarket tint.
Old 04-23-15, 02:28 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up. I had my Acura TL tinted while living in Chicago but with NY plates. Didn't have any problems but I did have out of state plates so that probably helped. I'll likely stay away from tinting just to be safe. No reason to pay this corrupt city more than I already do.
Old 04-23-15, 03:13 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

on my Vette the front bracket was held on using three points with double sided tape. I did not even realize that the bumper was not drilled until I removed it. We do not have to have front plates in PA.

I thought that was a pretty nice way to mount the bracket. No drilling the bumper and it was tight on there until I pried it off.
Old 04-23-15, 04:26 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

From Illinois too. When parking downtown, I throw my front plate in on the dash.
Old 04-24-15, 05:42 AM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone think mounting the plate in front of the lower spindle grill would have any negative affect on the car?

I would think between the two openings/spindle grills, above and below the actual bumper, there is plenty of air going to the engine and radiator and I'm confident there's no reduced air flow to the intake.
Old 04-24-15, 07:42 AM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys should get Rho-Plate

http://www.rhoplate.com/index.html
Old 04-24-15, 12:34 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyfan
You guys should get Rho-Plate http://www.rhoplate.com/index.html
Or Grimmspeed
Old 04-25-15, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

If you're going to mount the plate, I would just mount it where it's supposed to go. IMHO all of these low mounts or side mounts or whatever just look weird and atypical, and draw more attention to the plate than just mounting it where everybody else's is.
Old 04-25-15, 08:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you're going to mount the plate, I would just mount it where it's supposed to go. IMHO all of these low mounts or side mounts or whatever just look weird and atypical, and draw more attention to the plate than just mounting it where everybody else's is.
Yeah, but then you're stuck with permanent holes in the bumper. I would definitely go the alternate plate mount route, if I was going to be leaving my car in a high enforcement location for awhile. IL is pretty lenient with enforcement of the plate law. There's just a few places that you need to be concerned.
Old 04-25-15, 10:22 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

With some nice mounts/frames, they actually look pretty good. I got the GS from a dealer that put plates on every single car comes in. I always wanted to know how (my) GS would look without the plate. So I took everything off during a detailing job. It surprised me. I thought it looked funny without the mount and plate. Maybe I'm used to it. So I put it back on and never thought about taking it off again. The F Sport, on the other hand, I think looks good without it. Sometimes I see a plate placed on the dash. I know some don't want to put holes on the bumper, but doing these things makes the GS look like a Civic IMO. I would risk it and not mount it at all. We got our RX from a nearby dealer and they don't put plates on the front unless you request. I'm taking the risk and keeping the plate in the trunk.
Old 04-25-15, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yeah, but then you're stuck with permanent holes in the bumper. I would definitely go the alternate plate mount route, if I was going to be leaving my car in a high enforcement location for awhile. IL is pretty lenient with enforcement of the plate law. There's just a few places that you need to be concerned.
But once you mount the plate, are you ever going to take it off? Can't see the holes in my bumper because they're behind the plate. I don't have plans to move elsewhere, so the plate will be on there until I sell the car.
Old 04-25-15, 11:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

But once you mount the plate, are you ever going to take it off?
Yes, once I was out of the area that tickets for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front License Plate - need help deciding where and how to install