GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why is the GS so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 04:15 PM
jmoney6
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is the GS so unpopular?

I know everyone here who bought one will disagree, but I keep reading sales stats and reviews and I keep hearing how the GS sells less than just about every other lexus model.

I don't understand why its direct competition, the A6 5series and e-class are the biggest sellers of their respective bands.

I personally think the GS is an incredible car. The one i test drove (different color) 2 months ago is still sitting on the lot; as is the other white one with HUD I was considering.
Old 04-19-15, 04:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/11...s-figures.html

E Class doing nearly 70k/year.
5 Series doing 50K+/year.
A6 only doing hardly anymore than GS, although the 2nd body variant called A7 adds another useful 8K/year.

The main reason 4GS isn't doing as well is probably due to "conservative" or "sterile" exterior styling, and in particular, the very conservative dash and central console inside.
IMO, 4GS sales would get a lift if there was a bit more oomph in the styling.

However personally, I prefer the 4GS' neat, conservative, sterile, and safe styling over my wife's 3IS250 which has some odd "lines' that I do not like, like the longish nose, the curvature on the waist line beneath the wing mirrors, the way the waist line almost drops down at the rear window above the rear door, and too sharp a trailing edge of the boot, but yes, the 3IS does have more oomph to the styling outside and inside.

I will get my 2015 4GS very soon.
In the past, none of the Lexi that I have purchased have been perfect. In life, nothing is perfect.
In 1999, I purchased the 3ES, and I had to put up with its bland 1980's style tail lights, which were not "kicked up".
In 2010, I purchased the 3GS350 and accepted the 4 bug eyes which I don't really like.
Now 2015, I will get the 4GS, and live with the dash and central console - what I consider to be the 4GS' biggest Achilles heel.
However, in all three Lexus models, the rest of the car is superb.

Presently, the current E Class and 5 Series don't look super flash outside, or inside either.

As for sales volume?
I use WindowsPhone 8.1 for Microsoft Office mobile eg Word and Excel editing, and I don't care that Microsoft WindowsPhone 8.1 has less than 10% market share to Google's Android, and iPhone.
I believe we must do what suits our individual tastes best...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-21-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 06:50 PM
jmoney6
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

You don;t like the inside? I think the dash is the best part of the entire car.
The huge screen and the conservative simple but elegant dash is what sold me on the GS. I wish the rims were nicer thought and the car needs more power, way more power; i mean like 100hp power.

I test drove the E-Class, A6, and 5 series; and the interiors felt all very cheesy compared to the GS.
Old 04-19-15, 06:57 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I also think the dash and console is the best-looking in its class. And if the consumer wanted a less sterile exterior/interior styling the Infiniti Q70 would be selling like hotcakes.

I think the primary reasons for low sales are lagging awareness of what the brand stands for (people still think Lexus is soft and for older folks) and having a similarly sized, less expensive car (the ES) in its lineup. Most consumers don't care that the GS and ES drive differently or that one is RWD vs. FWD because it is still a Lexus.

Mercedes has the CLS, Audi has the A7 and BWM has the 6 Gran Coupe, but all are more expensive than their more pedestrian sedan counterparts. Lexus has the ES.
Old 04-19-15, 07:45 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

peteharvey . . . . . with you all the way to the use of a Windows phone! Love my GS, like the wifes IS, and dream about the LS. Bad opinion or perception matters not, the GS suits me just fine, until I can afford an LS.
Old 04-19-15, 07:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Actually I forgot that point.
The main reason GS doesn't sell as well as E and 5 is due to the existence of the cheaper ES...
Old 04-19-15, 07:57 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't disagree more with peteharvey. The interior is what sold me. The exterior grew on me. The drive is outstanding for its size. Definitely more power would have made it nearly perfect. Sales are low because of the ES, IMO.
Old 04-19-15, 08:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Actually I forgot that point.
The main reason GS doesn't sell as well as E and 5 is due to the existence of the cheaper ES...
I got your point covered there already in an earlier post.
Old 04-19-15, 08:15 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

To each their own.

Maybe we should stop wondering what other people think and listen to what we think.

Freedom of choice.
Old 04-19-15, 08:24 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truth is our Lexus brand although known for building quality well built cars does not have the "name snobbery" as say BMW or Audi. I'm convinced that brand recognition is very important to the majority of people who can afford it. If you watch/read the reviews you will find most are favorable to the GS. Styling is very personal but I would say the exterior lines combined with the interiors high level of quality and design execution is on par if not ahead of the others.

Lexus loses with the "stance" of their cars, they all sit to high. We know that this is easily corrected for little money but c'mon you don't see the Germans do this. This gives a less than sporty appearance with the assumption of bad handling but anyone who owns one knows the truth. I also think lexus does less for advertising the GS vs the A6 or 5. Most people are under the Impression that a Audi or BMW is the pinnacle of build quality, but I would disagree because mine was always in the shop. Quallity has always been a win for Lexus.
Old 04-19-15, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The GS won Wards 10 best interiors. Consistently given top marks for its interior.

When Lexus released the 4GS they predicted sales of 24k units a year. Which is what it sells.
Old 04-19-15, 08:32 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm actually glad it's not too popular. Makes it more special when I see another on the road.
Old 04-19-15, 10:13 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
I'm actually glad it's not too popular. Makes it more special when I see another on the road.
Totally agree! I see tons of IS and ES which I'm sure people on the road are getting tired of looking at. I still have people turn their heads when they see my GS, and it feels like we're in a small owners club.

I also agree with the statement that the ES is probably the biggest reason for the low GS sales. I have friends and family (not really enthusiasts) who ask me why I got the GS when the ES is smoother, bigger, "just as nice", and much cheaper. Most don't know the difference of FWD and RWD, or that the GS has more power and handles way better. My answer is always that it is a million times sportier (my F-sport), more powerful, handles corners better, more refined (especially interior), and is the perfect size for me (not as big as the ES, but not as small as IS).
Old 04-19-15, 11:13 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I see more F Sport GS's around here all the time. It used to be a big deal to spot another one on the highway or around my neighborhood but now I pull up to a light and there's another GS. I think they are selling well here but from what I've been told, North Texas is a big market for Lexus anyway. Still, it's not like the 1 out of 5 cars around here are the new IS, but the GS is significant.

While I lost the special factor of being one of the few owners initially in 2013, I think it's good that more people are experiencing it now. It's a shame Lexus doesn't push it harder because it really is excellent but for most, the IS and ES are good enough.
Old 04-20-15, 05:50 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't realize our cars were that unpopular....guess there is no accounting for taste.

Quick Reply: Why is the GS so unpopular?