GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

K&N intake ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 06:05 PM
MaticsGS84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobeanspls
K&N filters may allow a bit more particles in. I remember the best filter was the Apexi Power intake filter which both made power and was excellent in filtration when one website tested it against others.

If I were to go with the Takada, then I would replace the Takada's filter with an Apexi power filter.
I looked up the apexi filters but don't look any different or any bigger than the takadas filter. Just color is differernt.
Old 05-13-15, 06:31 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaticsGS84
I looked up the apexi filters but don't look any different or any bigger than the takadas filter. Just color is differernt.
I am not sure what filter Takada is using. If it is the same size then its probably not worth changing to Apexi. However AEM and K&N both make larger filters that could fit.
Old 05-13-15, 08:05 PM
MaticsGS84
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure what filter Takada is using. If it is the same size then its probably not worth changing to Apexi. However AEM and K&N both make larger filters that could fit.
Thanks, I'll look into it. .
Old 05-14-15, 07:16 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=jtrue28;9034737]The K&N intake system, or just a K&N drop in filter?

I can assure you that the car actually got quieter after installing the K&N CAI on my F-Sport, and other folks said the same. You are the only person I have seen that is claiming it made your car louder.

What I was hoping for was the sound that the K&N intake for the 3GS created. This however was not the case on the 4GS.[/QUOTE

Yes CAI and yes its much louder then the sound genrator and cone filter on any car will scream. My buddy evo x thought his intake was loud until I Rev mines
Old 05-15-15, 04:17 PM
rllx4gs
Driver School Candidate

I had K&N Typhoon Air Intake installed on my '13 GS350 along with Tanabe Medalion Exhaust and both upper and lower Tanabe bars and Tanabe lowering springs. I'm very happy with the sound (more aggresive but not too loud)
Performance wise, I have no idea. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-15, 07:47 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Originally Posted by rllx4gs
I had K&N Typhoon Air Intake installed on my '13 GS350 along with Tanabe Medalion Exhaust and both upper and lower Tanabe bars and Tanabe lowering springs. I'm very happy with the sound (more aggresive but not too loud)
Best way to find out power levels is 1/4 mile runs. The ET isn't as telling as the trap speed. If you are hitting 101+ mph trap speed your mods are doing something.
Old 05-16-15, 02:47 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How is the Tanabe exhaust? I had them before on various cars and they seem to sound very similar to stock. Are the GS one's noticable?
Old 05-21-15, 07:53 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Originally Posted by thholr
So I was looking at getting some K&N filters for the car and noticed that they have listed their air intake with the free flowing tube. They are saying that it increases horse power by 12.6. Does anyone have this and is there any actual noticeable change in either sound or power delivery ?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=69-8704TP
Well after some thought and looking at different setups I am ordering this intake. The main difference in the way I will be setting this up is that an additional opening will be added to the front of the factory air box like on the F-sport intake and a hose will run under the headlight straight to a velocity stack mounted to where the fog light bezel on the passenger side is now. This will make the maximum use of the higher flowing filter by allowing more air into the stock air box from two snorkels and hopefully I will see some actual gains in 1/4mi trap speed or ET.
Old 05-21-15, 03:59 PM
Myxalplyx
Driver School Candidate

Well after some thought and looking at different setups I am ordering this intake. The main difference in the way I will be setting this up is that an additional opening will be added to the front of the factory air box like on the F-sport intake and a hose will run under the headlight straight to a velocity stack mounted to where the fog light bezel on the passenger side is now. This will make the maximum use of the higher flowing filter by allowing more air into the stock air box from two snorkels and hopefully I will see some actual gains in 1/4mi trap speed or ET.
**Sniffle**

Move maf sensor as close to throttle body as possible.
3" to 3.5" or 3" to 4"
Big K&N(Or S&B....favorite) Cone Filter in corner
Enclose it in box with two holes to feed it, one from stock location and one from the fog light (flexible tubing and velocity stack).

Oh man Nobeanspls, you know that would be the killer ticket. We tested a version of this. You'd be making more power than anyone on here, including the manufacturers
In any event, I'm excited to see how the K&N works out for you. It'll be a good learning based on the piping diameter and length. That car is badass!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-21-15 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 05:10 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
**Sniffle**

Move maf sensor as close to throttle body as possible.
3" to 3.5" or 3" to 4"
Big K&N(Or S&B....favorite) Cone Filter in corner
Enclose it in box with two holes to feed it, one from stock location and one from the fog light (flexible tubing and velocity stack).

Oh man Nobeanspls, you know that would be the killer ticket. We tested a version of this. You'd be making more power than anyone on here, including the manufacturers
In any event, I'm excited to see how the K&N works out for you. It'll be a good learning based on the piping diameter and length. That car is badass!
I will move towards that more radical design. My 4 inch K&N Apollo setup is not dead yet. Let's see what a simpler setup does first. The main thing is to test the additional feed pipe to see if that helps.

We will install at the track and test in stages as usual. Just hose pipe, hose pipe with filter, and finally hose, filter and the replacement pipe after the maf. I want to see which makes the biggest difference or whether the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Old 05-21-15, 07:53 PM
rllx4gs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rijc99
How is the Tanabe exhaust? I had them before on various cars and they seem to sound very similar to stock. Are the GS one's noticable?
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust is much louder than the stock. My wife is actually complaining that the car doesn't sound like a Lexus anymore.
Old 05-22-15, 12:09 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tanabe Medalion Exhaust is much louder than the stock. My wife is actually complaining that the car doesn't sound like a Lexus anymore.
Darn. Thanks for your input. I guess I'll stick with stock then since my wife is going to be taking over the GS as her daily driver.
Old 05-22-15, 08:11 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Dynmax vt muffler or some type of valve controlled exhaust mufflers are the only ones that do not add a lot of low end noise while giving you a top end howl.
Old 05-23-15, 05:41 PM
IS-Fuji
Driver School Candidate

Installed AFE and love it. K&N did not interest me as it does not remove factory box. Sounds is great and no fake sound generator anymore. No regrets !
Old 05-28-15, 11:32 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

I just got this K&N intake in and installed it. The sound reduction is substantial. The injector tick I used to hear at idle is almost not noticiable. At any throttle point the sound is muted in comparison to the piped in sound from the generator.

I can swap this intake in and out in less than 5 mins. It will be easy to do back to back runs in the 1/4mi on a test and tune day to figure out if there is an actual perceivable difference compared to stock.

My schedule is preventing me from using the coming weekend to do the extra snorkel so that will wait until at least the June 7th weekend. I will post updates on sound and car response once I have a chance to do that.

Test and tune may have to wait a week or so too.

Quick Reply: K&N intake ?