GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Joystick...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 04:15 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Navigation Joystick...

Every time I see a Lexus review by a car reporter, they always complain about the navigation control joystick. Interestingly enough, all of them try to operate it with their finger on top. I personally love the control, but I grab it from the sides like a computer mouse. Am I the only one not having any issues with the controller?
Old 04-16-15, 04:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If you search you'll find plenty of threads on the matter. The Remote Touch (RT) is actually easier to operate than the Remote Touch Interface (RTI), though the latter looks cooler. Each has its strengths and weaknesses and Lexus will use the RT on Legacy models like the GS, RX, LS for now and RTI for 'younger' models like the RC and NX. Using RT with your thumb and middle fingers to guide it and pushing down with the pointer finger is the best method of control over RT I've found.
Old 04-16-15, 08:43 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had problems with it at times, but after adjusting the sensitivity in Settings to my particular style I found it fairly easy.
Old 04-16-15, 08:48 PM
rllx4gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with OBADEA. I'm holding the RT like a mouse and I have no major issues using it. Of course, there is a learning curve for this kind of thing, and mine was only less than 3 days.
Old 04-16-15, 09:38 PM
FiOSDave
Driver School Candidate

Default The Joy of Joystick

I've been using the joystick in my 2015 ES300H and the touchscreen in my wife's 2015 Avalon LE and I find the joystick to be easier to use and allows you to arrange your icons with the most used at the edges, which makes finding them a no-brainer without taking your eyes off the road!
You also need to get used to gently moving the joystick when going to an adjacent selection. I have the A/C screen upper left, Radio screen lower left, and the upper right and lower right positions set for the 3rd and 4th most used functions (at present), although I do rearrange those two, occasionally.
That way, I can get to four favorite areas without taking my eyes off the road! I also use the volume control **** for level, rather than the steering wheel and also to kill the audio completely. I find it easier than the S/W controls.
Old 04-17-15, 08:33 AM
neilattack
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got used to the joystick functionality within a day or two. I also hold it like a mouse and have adjusted the feedback sensitivity, so those are helpful tips.

However, an actual touchscreen IMO would've been better. I realize that the placement of the screen in our dashboards is pretty far back though, so a touchscreen in the current cockpit would've required a different design.
Old 04-17-15, 08:56 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by neilattack
I got used to the joystick functionality within a day or two. I also hold it like a mouse and have adjusted the feedback sensitivity, so those are helpful tips.

However, an actual touchscreen IMO would've been better. I realize that the placement of the screen in our dashboards is pretty far back though, so a touchscreen in the current cockpit would've required a different design.
I hate touchscreens due to the fingerprints. Also, buttons on the screen would take up too much space or would be too small. IMO, touchscreens aren't good for cars because they would be mounted closer and lower for comfortable use for the driver, and be more distracting because it takes more of the driver's attention off the road.

I think that's why Lexus went the Remote Touch route because it has the ease of use like touchscreens but can be mounted farther and higher (in better line of sight for driver and the road).
Old 04-17-15, 09:02 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

The major downside of the touchscreen is it is very hard to see it in the sun. This is because the screen has to be made within reach and there is nothing to block out the glare like our remote touchscreens. Touchscreens are quite antiquated as you see more and more cars using some form of remote touch screen.
Old 04-18-15, 01:23 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I had problems with it at times, but after adjusting the sensitivity in Settings to my particular style I found it fairly easy.

Agreed, I did the same. max
Old 04-18-15, 04:36 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I hate it with a passion. First of all, the system is flawed in that there are too many functions that you have to go a couple of layers deep to perform common tasks when driving, then maneuver the cursor over the proper selection which is not always easy, especially while driving. And I do find it difficult to land where I want it to many times. And yes, I have tried adjusting it and yes I hold it properly. Even Lexus must agree with me because several new models are coming out without it.
Old 04-18-15, 05:12 AM
thholr
Rookie

I think it works pretty well. Adjusting sensitivity helps a lot and also there is a learning curve. But once you get it down it is pretty easy.

I do think the idrive like rotating **** is slightly easier to manage. Much easier to memorize where things are and do it while driving. The mouse is harder to use while driving. Plus the having some info on the left hand screen and some on the right and having to shift back and forth is a bit of a pain. But generally speaking I do like it a ton.
Old 04-18-15, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Even Lexus must agree with me because several new models are coming out without it.
Which models? Every new Lexus uses the RTC/RTI.

No problems using it here.
Old 04-18-15, 07:24 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Which models? Every new Lexus uses the RTC/RTI.

No problems using it here.
The RC does not have the mouse, it has a touchpad like Audi uses. I think the new small SUV does as well. Just looked it up, yes the new NX also uses a new touchpad.

Last edited by jjscsix; 04-18-15 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The RC does not have the mouse, it has a touchpad like Audi uses. I think the new small SUV does as well. Just looked it up, yes the new NX also uses a new touchpad.
It's exactly the same interface, it's just a touchpad vs a mouse. Not all models are getting the touchpad.
Old 04-19-15, 04:50 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It's exactly the same interface, it's just a touchpad vs a mouse. Not all models are getting the touchpad.
Yes, I know that. I believe the touchpad has some additional functionality. I know you can "write" on it. And I"m guessing it's at least easier to scroll to where you want it easier than the mouse.

Quick Reply: Navigation Joystick...