GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

enlarging under hood air intake vents?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 07:12 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default enlarging under hood air intake vents?

So I was looking at it today and a thought came to mind. Wouldn't you increase the amount of air that was able to flow in from the two under hood vents if you were to cut out all the slats? You know instead of it being like this [|||||||] to just cut them out and make it like this [ ]. I mean it would seem logical that this would allow a larger volume of air to flow in which in turn would marginally increase the amount of air entering the intake vent to the filter box. I'm not expecting any increase in horsepower, just trying to make it even easier for the car to breathe. Unless you guys think that it will adversely affect air flow. If it's turbulence you guys are thinking, put that thought to rest as the air flow is straightened out by the filter anyway. I don't know, I just feel like the design almost doesn't give enough air to the car (obviously it does though) and removing those slats will improve flow.
Old 04-15-15, 07:19 PM
jiggabears
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say leave the slots alone. Hacking away at the car for .05 hp is truly pointless
Old 04-15-15, 07:23 PM
4matador
Driver School Candidate

You might be into something here with this idea. How much gains in hp and/or performance would heave to be determined in a dyno, if any. Try it for the sake of it, and let us know what ur findings are, subjectively speaking...
Old 04-15-15, 07:33 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jiggabears
I say leave the slots alone. Hacking away at the car for .05 hp is truly pointless
Not looking for horsepower gains. Just better airflow. Gains if any at all would be negligible. Air flow increase though would be slightly significant I believe.
Old 04-15-15, 07:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yea ur car won't go any faster even if u remove the whole bumper and hood and ride naked.

I'd say just leave them alone, Lexus/Toyota engineers knew what they're doing when they designed these cars.
Old 04-15-15, 07:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Lexus/Toyota engineers knew what they're doing when they designed these cars.
Lexus/Toyota engineers at work
Old 04-15-15, 08:09 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yea ur car won't go any faster even if u remove the whole bumper and hood and ride naked.

I'd say just leave them alone, Lexus/Toyota engineers knew what they're doing when they designed these cars.
Oh of course. I'm not saying they dont, but let's be honest, they didn't exactly Design it to maximize potential either though did they? That can be said about any car maker. If they did, every car would have CAI, high flow exhaust and all the other after market goodies us wrench heads buy to squeeze out every last drop of power. But the general concensus seems to be to leave it be, so I guess I will........maybe. Let's be honest it wouldn't be hard to replace the whole cover as its just a piece held on by a few of those god awful plastic clips that break if you breath on them too hard, and won't cost too much money to buy a new one.
Old 04-15-15, 08:14 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Also I wish we were not up the creek without a paddle on our car as far as HP mods go. I mean all we have are CAI, High Flow Exhaust and a performance chip. The supercharger we all held our breath for turned out to be an epic fail and it looks like no other attempt from any manufacturer is coming. Unless someone has acess to some site or manufacturer that makes more HP mod ding parts for our car and is holding out on us and everyone else.
Old 04-15-15, 08:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

It's just held by clips, just push the middle part in and pop them out.
Old 04-15-15, 08:24 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Originally Posted by GSFSport02
Also I wish we were not up the creek without a paddle on our car as far as HP mods go. I mean all we have are CAI, High Flow Exhaust and a performance chip. The supercharger we all held our breath for turned out to be an epic fail and it looks like no other attempt from any manufacturer is coming. Unless someone has acess to some site or manufacturer that makes more HP mod ding parts for our car and is holding out on us and everyone else.
I understand your pain. This motor is very similar to the 2GR-FE but with better fuel system. Monkeywrench racing plays with the 2GR-FE and even makes headers. Maybe talk to them about something for our engine.
Old 04-15-15, 09:08 PM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nobeanspls
I understand your pain. This motor is very similar to the 2GR-FE but with better fuel system. Monkeywrench racing plays with the 2GR-FE and even makes headers. Maybe talk to them about something for our engine.
There was a thread on here about a liquid platinum supercharged GS350 Fsport. He said it just wouldn't tune. He did have some aftermarket headers by PPE. So they do make them, but I'm SOL on those. Unfortunately I live in CALIFORNIA where I'm sure those headers are not legal and would cause my car to fail smog. I need to move to another state.........
Old 04-15-15, 10:41 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Here's a little something I saw on IG today. We'll see soon what figures they get.

Old 04-16-15, 01:17 AM
GSFSport02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Here's a little something I saw on IG today. We'll see soon what figures they get.

Looks exciting. No retune required. Wonder what kinda numbers we can expect and for what price. A minimum 30 HP for around $400 Would be worth it. I doubt we will see those kind of gains though but you never know. Only thing I'm worried about its it leaving a footprint in the ECU. Cuz if anything happens to your whip, Lexus will check your ECU codes and see the footprint and your warranty is up the creek. I just wish SOMEONE could get a supercharger tuned, hell I wishTOYOTA/LEXUS would offer something. I mean isn't that what the TRD division is for, coming up with dope stuff for our whips?
Old 04-16-15, 08:53 AM
Nobeanspls
Driver

TRD is for making extremely expensive mods that barely changes the performance of your car. I have not seen one useful power mod from TRD for anything.