New potential owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 01:29 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy New potential owner with questions

Hello all,

I would like to say hi to all folks on this forum since I just joined. The reason for joining is that I'm potentially looking to purchase a Lexus GS. I've read many of the threads already, but would love to hear some personal opinions and feedback regarding this topic.

First some quick background of me. I would say myself as a car enthusiast and know most car models quite well. I've had my fair share of cars in the past 7 years, from Mazda RX8, a few BMWs, a few Porsches, etc. The only Lexus I had was a 02 IS300 two years back, and as all Lexus cars, it performed flawlessly despite having over 100k miles when I bought it. I currently own a 2010 Porsche 911, and a 2012 Camry for the fiance. Not a single issue on either vehicle since I had them. Both serve different purposes and I love them both.

I always loved Lexus even without really owning one (The IS was a transition car between a previous and current Porsche). The reason was simply because Lexus doesn't have a great sports car in the offering (IS F don't count and I cannot afford the LFA). When it comes to automobiles, I believe in everything Japanese (especially Toyota) and will most likely always have one. Lately I've been thinking, I really don't use the 911 that much, and the idea of getting a more practical/luxurious car came to mind. I will not go back to BMWs again due to bad experience, and to be honest I think the latest Lexus lineup does luxury just as well, if not better than the german folks. IS is a bit too compact for me, ES might be too similar to drive as the Camry, so the GS and LS would be my pick.

Now comes my question: Would you guys prefer a newer (2013+) GS, or an older LS (2009-2011)? I really love the new GS design, from exterior to interior. But as LS is the flagship, would craftsmanship and quality be significantly superior to the GS? Both should be around the same price point (+-$40k give or take). Which one would you prefer and why? I know this is the GS forum, but still want to see if anyone had experience with both and how they compare. The sportiness difference between GS and LS is not really a factor to me. Would just like to hear comparison from a technology, luxury and overall comfort/usability stand point of view. And yes, if I decide to go down this path, the Porsche will go.

Sorry for the long intro, and thanks for reading.

Phil
Old 04-15-15, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I'm a BIG LS fan, and if you were discussing the difference between a 2013+ GS and a 2013+ LS, I'd say get the LS. BUT, when you're talking about a 09-11 LS you're an entire generation behind what they're doing with styling, and with technology. The LS won't have the big wide screen, the latest tech in navigation, etc. The 2009 LS will be even more behind because they updated the infotainment for 2010.

The GS is just as well built, and in some ways nicer inside than the 09-11 LS. The LS will be smoother and quieter to drive, while the GS will be firmer and sportier...but the difference is not as distinct as you'd think. The GS rides very well, even in F Sport trim. If you get the F Sport or especially the luxury, the seats are the best I've had in any car, and better than those in the LS.
Old 04-15-15, 01:55 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

I'd take new over used all the time. More peace of mind knowing all repairs will be covered by a free warranty and having the latest tech is nice.

But I suggest you figure what type of car you'd prefer. Do you want stiffer, better handling suspension or a smooth subdued ride?
Old 04-15-15, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I'd take new over used all the time. More peace of mind knowing all repairs will be covered by a free warranty and having the latest tech is nice.
He's not talking about new vs used though, he's looking at a used GS as well.
Old 04-15-15, 03:30 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the same decision just a month or so ago. Here are my reasons for getting the 2013 GS over the older 09-10 LS.

1. 2013 GS has essentially the same interior passenger dimensions as a LS. The difference comes down to trunk, and engine bay and the width of the cars. The LS has a bigger center part but hip, shoulder, and other important parts of interior room is same for 4 people. Rear center is probably better for the LS but I did not really look into that part. I was actually surprised when I checked specs side by side as to driver and passenger space.

2. 2013 GS F-sport uses a proven 6 cylinder while the LS uses an older but also proven 8 cylinder. However, the Power to weight ratio is not very different so there is no performance benefit at all when looked at closely. LS will be just as slow as the GS if not slower in the straights due to the extra weight. The dynamic feel of the LS will also suffer as it is bigger, heavier, and more softly sprung. I come from a series of sporty cars so some handling is important to me.

3. I know the LS has less noise and is more isolated. That being said the GS is not exactly loud. It rides firm but is soft compared to any sports car I've rode in such as Corvette, EVO, and M3. The sound system is also not bad at all.

4. GS F-sport looks better to me than the last gen LS. Purely subjective but I like both so that was not a deciding factor.

5. 5x114 wheels. The LS uses 5x120 setup which is common on BMWs. I know this is minor but I have easier time finding some cool 5x114 wheels from various Japanese wheel makers.

6. The luxury package on the GS is almost as much toys as the LS. Its not like you are giving up much there either. The newer style interior in the 13+ GS is really pretty nice. An older LS interior is not as nice to me.

So I got the GS F-sport for 40k. I think I made the right choice for me.
Old 04-15-15, 04:40 PM
rllx4gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SW13GS and NOBEANSPLS are correct. My friend has a 2011 LS 460 and my 2013 GS 350 Base is much prettier and more modern as far as technogadgets are concerned. My buddy is trading in his LS to 2015 GS F-Sport this fall, when the 2016 models arrive.
Old 04-15-15, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nobeanspls
1. 2013 GS has essentially the same interior passenger dimensions as a LS. The difference comes down to trunk, and engine bay and the width of the cars. The LS has a bigger center part but hip, shoulder, and other important parts of interior room is same for 4 people. Rear center is probably better for the LS but I did not really look into that part. I was actually surprised when I checked specs side by side as to driver and passenger space.
This I have to disagree with. I understand the specs may show that, but in reality the rear of the LS has a lot more space, and passengers feel much less cramped. According to the specs, my GS is bigger in the back than my ES was, but in reality that is not the case. Everyone who rides in my GS in the back comments on how tight it is, and nobody ever did so in my ES cars or my LS cars.

In the SWB LS I can adjust the drivers seat for my comfort and cross my legs while sitting in the back comfortably. No way can I do that in the GS.
Old 04-15-15, 05:55 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

But I suggest you figure what type of car you'd prefer. Do you want stiffer, better handling suspension or a smooth subdued ride?
+ 1

Also, welcome to the forum OP!
Old 04-16-15, 08:09 AM
php
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a lot for the replies so far folks. I am leaning towards the 13+ GS too myself, mainly due to the new interior, and I really like the new body style as well. I was just hoping that it's not giving up too many tech toys when comparing to a 10-11 LS, which seems like I won't be missing much.

Also, how would you guys compare the 2013 GS to the 2014 GS in terms of reliability? Just wondering since 2013 was the first model year and if there's any quirks/issues that was fixed in 2014.

I do like the F sport exterior, but somehow perfer the wood interior. Is there a choice that will satisfy both? From what I'm reading F sport will only come with aluminum trim. Can a car have both the luxury package and F sport? Is the suspension more firm with the F sport?
Old 04-16-15, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If anything, the 10-11 LS will have LESS tech toys than a 2013 GS, especially an F Sport or Luxury.

No difference between the 2014 and 2013, other than power folding mirrors and a power closing trunk.

F Sport only comes with the aluminum trim interior, you cannot have the luxury and the F Sport. You can replace the bumper with the F Sport bumper if you want to.

Suspension is tuned a little more firmly on the F Sport, and the F Sport has 19" wheels which makes it ride firmer than the luxury. Friend of mine just got a 2015 F Sport and it rides a little firmer than my 2013 Luxury, but not tremendously so.
Old 04-16-15, 12:32 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by php

Also, how would you guys compare the 2013 GS to the 2014 GS in terms of reliability? Just wondering since 2013 was the first model year and if there's any quirks/issues that was fixed in 2014.
Some people say the 6 speed transmission in the 2013 is more responsive than the 8 speed in the 2014+
Old 04-16-15, 01:14 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Some people say the 6 speed transmission in the 2013 is more responsive than the 8 speed in the 2014+
It is IMO. I wouldn't say this was a problem as much as a refresh to go from 6 to 8
Old 04-16-15, 02:49 PM
Mcb345
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by php

I do like the F sport exterior, but somehow perfer the wood interior. Is there a choice that will satisfy both? From what I'm reading F sport will only come with aluminum trim. Can a car have both the luxury package and F sport? Is the suspension more firm with the F sport?
You will not be disappointed with any GS model but if you're cross shopping with the LS then I think you'd probably be happiest with the wood trim of the luxury package which makes the interior look a little more high class as opposed to the sportiness of the F Sport package (which I own). You can always dress up the luxury package with some exterior mods to make it look a little more F sport-ish as well and if you aren't going to be driving the car like a Porsche 911 then you won't miss the benefits of the F Sport package (I believe you still get the adjustable suspension in the luxury package as well so that's a nice plus).

BUT, if you do want to drive like it's a 911 on occasion then go F Sport. The added stiffness of the chassis, slightly stiffer adjustable suspension and larger brakes are pretty nice to have when you're tossing the car. It's still a very very quiet car when you're not WOT and I have zero complaints about the suspension when it's in the normal setting, it's very comfortable. Seats are great as well.

Go drive them both new at the dealership, back to back, and I'm pretty sure you'll figure out which package is right for you within a few minutes. I know I was sold pretty quick on the F Sport.
Old 04-16-15, 03:09 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Late model GS FSport will be closest to your criteria. LS is nice but not sporty.
Old 04-16-15, 06:41 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS feels bigger when you get into the car and to me it feels "too big". I am used to being cramped in. I don't believe I can rest my arm on the window sill and also hold the steering wheel and drive with just my left arm. I got inside of a newer one and said forget it. I thought about it myself as the LS has more luxury but the ride is boring and not sporty. I belive it comes down do you want a "boring car like the ES (but a lot more added to it)" or something that is smaller and more sporty like the GS. I might be wrong but I did not like driving the LS. I drove an older 460 and also got into a newer 14" (never drove that one).

Quick Reply: New potential owner with questions