GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

60k service

Old 04-14-15, 05:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
Thanks !
My service guy sent me a breakdown of all the work with the total price.
A few Lexus dealerships have prices posted [Tap here for example] (based on vehicle) for the different mileage services, e.g. 30k, 35k, 40k, etc., etc. The price for the GS 350 at 60k miles is around $850, but replacing the brake fluid was listed as being extra, which could be as much as $100 or $150 - totaling the $1,000 you were told.

The biggest expenses are replacing the spark plugs, oil & oil filter change, and replacing the brake fluid. The cabin (A/C) air filter and engine air filter and FOB battery amount to less than $50 in material costs and a total of 20 minutes of labor to replace them.

Apparently replacing the brake fluid is not always necessary since some dealerships have it as a extra (if needed). The spark plugs will easily last 100k miles with zero ill effects whatsoever, and probably will last twice that long with no issues.

Truth be known, all you really need done is the oil and oil filter changed and the cabin air filter and engine air filter replaced. If you are close to the end of your warranty I really do not see the need to spend $1,000 when all that really needs to be done amounts to only about $100.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-14-15 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 07:43 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
60,000 Mile Service:
Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)
Rotate tires (Applies to models with the same size front and rear tires and wheels.)
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace engine air filter
Replace smart key battery
Replace spark plugs
Measure brake pad thickness and rotor runout
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transmission for signs of leakage
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Excuse me for shouting, but... THAT'S A TOTAL RIPOFF!!!! I'm shocked. I really am shocked. That's like stealing. That's like the Mafia. Road test vehicle? Inspect? Visually inspect? How much sweat and effort does that really take? OMG. And I was thinking about buying my car this year when the lease expires. Mine is a 27 month lease, so the warranty will still be in effect. But that 60K service is a TOTAL RIPOFF!

Maybe I should go for that Dodge Charger Hellcat. Even Dodge would blush at the mere idea of that kind of ripoff. Holy....!
Old 04-14-15, 07:46 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
20K a year on on 13 GS.
I'm 500 shy of 60k
How could you have a 3rd Gen, '13 GS? The 4Gen came out in '13. I have one.
Old 04-14-15, 08:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The thing is u don't even know if they actually inspect those listed or not. Just get a flashlight and pop the hood and inspect for damaged stuff and leaks urself and save the $1000. Engine and cabin filters replacement will only take 1 minute of ur time and spark plugs are good for 100-120K miles (the 2GR engine in my Camry is like that).

And plus with basic oil and filter change they still inspect the fluids and brakes anyway. Tire rotation is extra but if u have staggered RWD u can't rotate them anyway. America's Tire also do tire rotation for free.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 04-14-15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 08:11 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Excuse me for shouting, but... THAT'S A TOTAL RIPOFF!!!! I'm shocked. I really am shocked. That's like stealing. That's like the Mafia. Road test vehicle? Inspect? Visually inspect? How much sweat and effort does that really take? OMG. And I was thinking about buying my car this year when the lease expires. Mine is a 27 month lease, so the warranty will still be in effect. But that 60K service is a TOTAL RIPOFF!

Maybe I should go for that Dodge Charger Hellcat. Even Dodge would blush at the mere idea of that kind of ripoff. Holy....!
At 60k miles, warranty is up and you don't have to do all the recommended stuff. The dealer isn't going to force you to do all of the things listed. Just change the filters and oil and you're good for another 10k miles. Alternatively, you can buy OEM parts online and take it to a shop. You can even take your car to local shops within the warranty, as long as you have proof that maintenance services were carried out.

The Charger Hellcat is awesome, but you'll be burning through that easily in gas and tires
Old 04-15-15, 04:05 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How could you have a 3rd Gen, '13 GS? The 4Gen came out in '13. I have one.
No. I have a 2013 GS now. Before this one I have a 2006 GS (3rd gen )
I don't remember my 60k service being as much . Sorry if I confused anyone.
Old 04-15-15, 09:33 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to hold off on that Hellcat. Just for fun I googled Dodge & 60k service cost... Dodge Magnum 60K service, $1495. For a Magnum.
Old 04-15-15, 06:52 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a replacement Engine and cabin filter before Sewell closed its online store. Even after that I will buy them at the dealership and replace them myself. I'll pony up for the oil change and even tires at the dealership just to keep good will for when something breaks. Hoping for a break on pricing. Sort of like paying Membership Dues.

Originally Posted by bclexus
A few Lexus dealerships have prices posted [Tap here for example] (based on vehicle) for the different mileage services, e.g. 30k, 35k, 40k, etc., etc. The price for the GS 350 at 60k miles is around $850, but replacing the brake fluid was listed as being extra, which could be as much as $100 or $150 - totaling the $1,000 you were told.

The biggest expenses are replacing the spark plugs, oil & oil filter change, and replacing the brake fluid. The cabin (A/C) air filter and engine air filter and FOB battery amount to less than $50 in material costs and a total of 20 minutes of labor to replace them.

Apparently replacing the brake fluid is not always necessary since some dealerships have it as a extra (if needed). The spark plugs will easily last 100k miles with zero ill effects whatsoever, and probably will last twice that long with no issues.

Truth be known, all you really need done is the oil and oil filter changed and the cabin air filter and engine air filter replaced. If you are close to the end of your warranty I really do not see the need to spend $1,000 when all that really needs to be done amounts to only about $100.
Old 04-15-15, 06:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
I bought a replacement Engine and cabin filter before Sewell closed its online store. Even after that I will buy them at the dealership and replace them myself. I'll pony up for the oil change and even tires at the dealership just to keep good will for when something breaks. Hoping for a break on pricing. Sort of like paying Membership Dues.
That sounds like a plausible compromise.
Old 04-15-15, 07:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Damn that's what I forgot the buy before Sewell (RIP) closed.. the engine air filter. I only got the cabin filter and FSport trunk. I knew I forgot something!
Old 04-15-15, 08:09 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

OP the dealerships are counting on owners like yourself to make their bank. Its a car. An oil change is an oil change so long as the part is right and the right oil goes in. Changing the brake fluid is also a simple procedure. Nothing on that list justifies $1000.00 in my opinion. That being said in the service business its all about finding the guy who is willing to pay your price. A lot of that price is because of overhead costs and because customers are willing to pay more at a dealership.

Anyhow we spend money to make ourselves happy. If going to the dealer is peace of mind for you and that additional cost is ok with you go for it.
Old 04-15-15, 08:13 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Dealerships got the name "Stealership" for a reason.
Old 04-16-15, 05:19 PM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to sit down with my service guy & check off the maintenance that I really need & skip the unnecessary items. When it's all said and done maybe I can cut 2/3rds of the price down.
Old 02-08-19, 04:41 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the quote from my local Lexus dealer here in NY. The brake pads are separate, obviously...

Front brake pads and resurface of rotors(as long as the rotors are in good shape) costs $505.72 with tax and takes roughly 2hrs to 2hrs 30min

60,000 mile service costs $668.96 with tax and the service takes roughly 3hrs to 3hrs 30min.

The service breakdown:

Brake fluid flush

Oil change

Tire rotation

Cabin air filter

Engine air filter

Wiper blades

Key battery

Fuel treatment

Safety check

Top off of fluids

Also due at 60,000 miles on your vehicle are spark plugs costing $622.41 with tax and takes roughly 3hrs to perform.
Old 02-08-19, 06:35 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra611
This is the quote from my local Lexus dealer here in NY. The brake pads are separate, obviously...

Front brake pads and resurface of rotors(as long as the rotors are in good shape) costs $505.72 with tax and takes roughly 2hrs to 2hrs 30min

60,000 mile service costs $668.96 with tax and the service takes roughly 3hrs to 3hrs 30min.

The service breakdown:

Brake fluid flush

Oil change

Tire rotation

Cabin air filter

Engine air filter

Wiper blades

Key battery

Fuel treatment

Safety check

Top off of fluids

Also due at 60,000 miles on your vehicle are spark plugs costing $622.41 with tax and takes roughly 3hrs to perform.
Sounds about right for the dealership. So for the 60k service, they are looking for $1290. I got a quote from Lexus of Bridgewater NJ (about 1hr from my area in NY) and was quoted $1099.04 (includes taxes) for the same services you listed above w/spark plugs changed as well. If you're going with the dealership for this service, see if they can match or beat that price...

This has been stated numerous times but everything outside of spark plugs and brake fluid flush is relatively cheap and/or DIY type things (wiper blades, key fob battery, cabin filter). Personally, after hearing the price, I was thinking to just get the synthetic oil change done at the dealership (which comes with their multi point inspection as well for around $100) and then get other items done by my trusted local shop.

Last edited by AJLex19; 02-08-19 at 06:40 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 60k service