GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Which would you get a used 13/14 Gs350 or brand new Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 10:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I have never understood the issues you have getting financed. If you have a 740 credit score, you should be able to finance a car no problem.

As for the Kia vs the Lexus, I actually just bought a Kia Sedona minivan tonight (whoopee!). Its very nice, I sat in a Cadenza in the showroom. Very nice. Its not a Lexus. I might buy a Cadenza over an ES, but even then maybe not. If you were talking about a Hyundai Genesis maybe, but not a Cadenza.
Old 04-07-15, 11:10 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I have never understood the issues you have getting financed. If you have a 740 credit score, you should be able to finance a car no problem.

As for the Kia vs the Lexus, I actually just bought a Kia Sedona minivan tonight (whoopee!). Its very nice, I sat in a Cadenza in the showroom. Very nice. Its not a Lexus. I might buy a Cadenza over an ES, but even then maybe not. If you were talking about a Hyundai Genesis maybe, but not a Cadenza.
U did what now?

A minivan? I had to read that 3 times just to be sure.
Old 04-07-15, 11:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
U did what now?

A minivan? I had to read that 3 times just to be sure.
Yup...theres a thread in the Car Chat forum
Old 04-07-15, 11:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yup...theres a thread in the Car Chat forum
Well at least u didn't trade in the GS. Now that would make me sad.
Old 04-07-15, 11:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We thought about it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that LOL. Oddly enough, the Jeep wasn't underwater with 25 payments left, the Lexus is $8k underwater with 7 left LOL.

All in all, I couldn't really enjoy the Jeep anyways because my wife needed it for the kids. Such is life.
Old 04-08-15, 05:01 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ohface
I was pointing out the build quality. He is the one who asked which way to go so, NO I am actually "not spending other people's money" but answering his question. Next time I will explain things as I am talking to my 3 yr old sister sorry for the confusion.
You took my statement a little too defensively. I got what you were saying. My answer doesn't change. Hyundai and Kia quality has come a long way. Some people confuse how a door closing sounds or how hard the interior plastics feel to the touch with quality. To me, quality is how well a vehicle holds up without undo repairs needed.

I'm not saying that how a doors sounds, soft touch plastics, supple leather etc should not be important to some folks, that has a lot to do with why most of us own a Lexus. I'm just saying that people need to decide what is important to them and what they can realistically afford.

BTW, if you talk to me like a three year old that would be a step up for me. My wife says the dog is smarter than I am. But then he is a Standard Poodle 😜

In all seriousness, I apologize if my post came across wrong to you. I didn't mean it that way.

Last edited by jjscsix; 04-08-15 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-08-15, 02:40 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
You took my statement a little too defensively. I got what you were saying. My answer doesn't change. Hyundai and Kia quality has come a long way. Some people confuse how a door closing sounds or how hard the interior plastics feel to the touch with quality. To me, quality is how well a vehicle holds up without undo repairs needed.

I'm not saying that how a doors sounds, soft touch plastics, supple leather etc should not be important to some folks, that has a lot to do with why most of us own a Lexus. I'm just saying that people need to decide what is important to them and what they can realistically afford.

BTW, if you talk to me like a three year old that would be a step up for me. My wife says the dog is smarter than I am. But then he is a Standard Poodle 😜

In all seriousness, I apologize if my post came across wrong to you. I didn't mean it that way.
No worries he asked so I answered what I thought not a big deal.
Old 04-08-15, 06:36 PM
aaronbhag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably get the gs I have driven the new cadenza, personally I dont like how it looks the interior isnt that bad though its pretty roomy but at the end of the day its still a kia
Old 04-08-15, 06:41 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Does the credit score not take time into consideration as part of the overall score?
Credit score is very complicated to explain. I have a friend who is a financial adviser. He said that Credit score will fluctuate up and down dependent on credit history. Lets just say a person who has a short history of 12 months can have a score of 720 because he made all payments on time but can only get 6% interest on a car loan. Another person with 10 year history regularly makes late payments will have a score of 590. This person will not get any loan because his history is risky.

So sometimes history can actually hurt you.
Old 04-09-15, 01:39 PM
NoDak
Driver School Candidate

lease the kia, save your whole cash down for later on the GS after you get some history.

win win situation.

edit : do the lease for 12-36 months and swap out to the GS afterwards.
Old 04-09-15, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why lease the Kia when you could just lease the Lexus? I bet the GS wouldnt be much more to lease than a Cadenza.
Old 04-09-15, 05:00 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

It makes no sense to buy a leftover previous model year new vehicle unless you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. $11,000 off of a 2014 at this point is not even close to a good deal. That car is almost 2 years old from a model year perspective. The moment you drive it off of the lot it will be worth just a tad above $20,000.
Old 04-09-15, 09:29 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Not buying the candenza but will explain.

Previous cars 1991 ES 200K so miles
1999 VW Passat 200K miles (still have)
2006 lexus GS 300 180K miles (still have)

I have had about 6 cars in my life. usually drive them until they are done with. I still think I got another 100-150K in the GS. Damn near nothing left in the Passat. Transmission is shifting weird and I put enough in that car. BUt I agree almost 2 year old car and already depreciated a lot. Plus if it is a program car they didn't lose money they broke even and I will lose money. I am still looking at 4GS. I want a 4gs f model when it comes out but can't afford it. I am not sure I can wait 3 years until the price comes into my range either so I am waiting
Old 05-26-15, 07:00 PM
etjmtorrez
Driver School Candidate

Default Gs👍

Originally Posted by rijc99
Between the 2? Get the GS. Better durability. Better parts availability. Probably more resale value in the long run.
I drive a 2008 GS350 this is my second one and I love it. I've had 5 Lexus sedans and have loved them all but will never part with my GS.
Old 05-26-15, 11:53 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
Not buying the candenza but will explain.

Previous cars 1991 ES 200K so miles
1999 VW Passat 200K miles (still have)
2006 lexus GS 300 180K miles (still have)

I have had about 6 cars in my life. usually drive them until they are done with. I still think I got another 100-150K in the GS. Damn near nothing left in the Passat. Transmission is shifting weird and I put enough in that car. BUt I agree almost 2 year old car and already depreciated a lot. Plus if it is a program car they didn't lose money they broke even and I will lose money. I am still looking at 4GS. I want a 4gs f model when it comes out but can't afford it. I am not sure I can wait 3 years until the price comes into my range either so I am waiting
I don't think a least is a good option for you if you plan to put that much miles on a car. Don't forget that you pay a fee for every one mile you go over. Unless you don't mind paying the fee. Buying a car at the end of the least will generally lift that penalty. Those are something you should think about.

If you want the GS then get it. You can always refinance your car loan when you are ready. Hopefully when you are ready you will get a better rate if you don't goof up your credit on the way. Also make sure that you don't get penalize for early buy out with the current loan.

Quick Reply: Which would you get a used 13/14 Gs350 or brand new Kia Cadenza