GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 GS 350F vs 2014 RX 350F

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 05:15 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2014 GS 350F vs 2014 RX 350F

Hello all. I'm relatively new in this forum but have been lurking for several months. I currently drive a 2007 BMW 328i sedan sports package. I love everything about this car, but as of late the car has been having typical BMW issues which are costing a lot of money to repair. I've though about a newer BMW 535i but I would be facing the same issue in the long run. So I've chosen Lexus GS350 F sport. But my wife was thinking maybe we should get the RX350. Convince me why I should get the GS. Only me, my wife, and my 6yr old son ride the car. Fellow members with kids please chime in. My main concerns are the following:

1. Will the GS have enough room in the rear seat for my 6yr old ? He's about 57lbs 52in tall and sits in a highback booster seat. In my BMW 328i, the booster seat takes up so much room that he ends up kicking him mom via the back seat. .

2. We plan on having another kid. Is the GS350 able to take a front facing infant seat and highback booster seat ? BTW, my height is 5' 11" and wife is 5'. Can the wife and I sit comfortably up front in the GS with previous installed in the back seat ? I hear that the 2013+ RX350 have sliding rear seats, which would be a good thing.

3. How big is the GS trunk? Can the GS trunk fit a jogging stroller along with our luggage ? In my BMW, I always have to take the jogging stroller wheels off and use nylon duffel bags instead of the usual luggage. It made for easier packing. I know this is a non issue with the RX.

I'll be looking for CPO GS F or RX F in about a month or so. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-15, 06:43 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

We have non F Sport version of the two. But I dont think it matters in this case. I think RX is the vehicle you want. I'm about to turn the gs in. Although she doesn't mind me getting another GS, she prefers a more spacious one. Have you tried GX? It drives better than the RX IMO. Maybe too big/heavy for small ladies but it's a great SUV for men IMO. Either way they are all great vehicles. Good luck!
Old 04-03-15, 07:09 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you should get RX instead of GS.
Old 04-03-15, 08:43 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathanz
you should get RX instead of GS.
Depends how old is he and driving style

Also... I think the best is to not share cars, like in my family that I made as a standard... Wife drives only her 2013 IS250, I drive only my car and 2012 Honda Odyssey is a family car that we drive...

Last edited by shurik74; 04-03-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Given your situation, I would get the RX.

We have 7 week old twins. I wouldn't even bother trying to take them anywhere in the GS. In fact, I may try and trade our Jeep in on a minivan this weekend
Old 04-04-15, 04:30 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really comparing apples to oranges. First of all let me address the Lexus vs BMW decision. I've owned a 5 series in the past and had the typical experience of always being at the dealer with problems. I couldn't wait to get rid of it, in fact the fan clutch started making a horrendous noise on my way to trade it in on my first Lexus (is350). My first Lexus was problem free (except water pump covered under warranty) for eight years 120000k miles. I traded my is350 for a CPO fsport GS, because like you my family was expanding and the IS is small. If you plan on buying vs leasing go Lexus over BMW, it will cost you less to own and will be at the dealership far less. I also think that the GS is a great handling/driving car and is favored over the 5 series in many reviews.

I said comparing the RX to the GS apples to oranges not because one is a sedan and the other is an SUV but because of the way they drive. The GS is a very sporting ride, especially in fsport trim like mine. I smile ever time I drive it. I've driven loaner RX,s and I never smiled because it just isn't a drivers car. Like any Lexus it is a well built vehicle and will last and be problem free for a long time. It is just very boring IMO.

The GS does have room for my two kids car seats, although it is a bit smaller inside than it appears on the outside I wouldn't call it tight. The trunk is huge but will not compare to an SUV. My wife owns a CX-9 which takes care of our utility needs like runs to the home stores. Owning the GS with a family of four should not be a problem as far as space is concerned, but if you frequently buy large items for your home it may be.

For me it comes down to the driving experience because I love cars. I'm in a situation where owning a pure sports car is not an option so the GS gives me the combination of driving excitement, space for family, reliability, and value. I can say with certainty that I will be a Lexus customer for a long time and that I love owning the GS.
Old 04-04-15, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinedown
The GS does have room for my two kids car seats, although it is a bit smaller inside than it appears on the outside I wouldn't call it tight. The trunk is huge but will not compare to an SUV. My wife owns a CX-9 which takes care of our utility needs like runs to the home stores. Owning the GS with a family of four should not be a problem as far as space is concerned, but if you frequently buy large items for your home it may be.
I totally disagree. I have the GS and two kids in rear facing carseats. With the carseats installed I can not even get in the GS. By head will not clear under the roof because the drivers seat has to be pushed up so far to accommodate the rear facing seat.

If you and your wife are both shorter, sure. My wife is 5'10 and I am 6', so we're tall but not incredibly tall. She can sit uncomfortably in the drivers seat, I cannot even get into the car.

If the GS were my family car, it would already be traded in.

For me it comes down to the driving experience because I love cars. I'm in a situation where owning a pure sports car is not an option so the GS gives me the combination of driving excitement, space for family, reliability, and value. I can say with certainty that I will be a Lexus customer for a long time and that I love owning the GS.
I love my GS too, and I love cars as well. No doubt from a driving perspective the GS is far superior to an RX, its much nicer inside too. BUT...what I have found when you're talking about a family car is space and utility wins. No way I would even consider two kids in rear facing seats in the GS.

Forward facing? Sure.
Old 04-04-15, 11:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Steve - This is what you need...

Old 04-04-15, 11:14 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I totally disagree. I have the GS and two kids in rear facing carseats. With the carseats installed I can not even get in the GS. By head will not clear under the roof because the drivers seat has to be pushed up so far to accommodate the rear facing seat.

If you and your wife are both shorter, sure. My wife is 5'10 and I am 6', so we're tall but not incredibly tall. She can sit uncomfortably in the drivers seat, I cannot even get into the car.

If the GS were my family car, it would already be traded in.

I love my GS too, and I love cars as well. No doubt from a driving perspective the GS is far superior to an RX, its much nicer inside too. BUT...what I have found when you're talking about a family car is space and utility wins. No way I would even consider two kids in rear facing seats in the GS.

Forward facing? Sure.
I was basically telling the OP that it depends on what is more important to him when deciding between the two vehicles because the driving experience is so different. My kids seats are forward facing which does make a huge difference vs rearward. I personally would still sacrifice the space to drive the GS but you gotta do what you gotta do. If I had to drive an SUV I would switch brands because the RX is so mundane. The new RX looks promising.
Old 04-04-15, 12:40 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for everybody's comments. We don't usually haul anything large which is a plus. I'm sure I will miss that sporty sedan feeling if I go the RX route, but I did put up with run flat tires, stiff sports package, and small back seat and trunk on the Bimmer. I think I can manage the GS F. I think the final decision will be up to the wife when we go buy. But until then the GS F is my choice.
Old 04-04-15, 02:03 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Originally Posted by Bartman619
Thanks for everybody's comments. We don't usually haul anything large which is a plus. I'm sure I will miss that sporty sedan feeling if I go the RX route, but I did put up with run flat tires, stiff sports package, and small back seat and trunk on the Bimmer. I think I can manage the GS F. I think the final decision will be up to the wife when we go buy. But until then the GS F is my choice.
I love my GS F and it is much larger than a 328 but remember happy wife=happy life
Old 04-04-15, 02:14 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

I've had both, It depends on what you can put up with . It is an absolute hassle with small kids to put into the GS . More compact , worry about kids kicking your seat since it's very close , trunk space in RX is twice as big.

You should get the RX. But if you don't mind those issues then get the GS.

Also if you at going with the RX the new 2016 is totally refreshed and is coming out this fall
Old 04-04-15, 09:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bclexus
Steve - This is what you need...
Without a doubt!

Originally Posted by Shinedown
My kids seats are forward facing which does make a huge difference vs rearward. I personally would still sacrifice the space to drive the GS but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Forward facing is entirely different.

Have you ever installed a rear facing carseat in the GS and tried to sit in the drivers seat? Its not a question of "sacrificing space" for me...it is physically impossible. It looks like it would work eyeballing it...but I've done it...and it does not work. His wife is 5", it will work for her, he is only one inch shorter than me. I suppose he could put the rear facing seat behind the passenger and his wife would fit, and put the forward facing seat behind him. I still wouldn't do it.
Old 04-05-15, 06:53 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I reading the first post of this thread, I was thinking OP could get away with the GS with his current family arrangement. But then when he mentioned he plans on having a baby my mind instantly thought he needs the RX!! The GS is not big enough in the back seat. I have two babies, btw. But my wife drives a three row crossover so I can still have my GS
Old 04-05-15, 05:32 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GS is doable with rear facing baby seats. It depends on how you normally sit. There are plenty of people who have rear facing seats in Civics so the GS will be fine. It won't be as spacious as the RX but it's not impossible.

If you always sit with the seat in full lean mode then no... It won't work.

Why don't you take your car seat or one you think you will buy, along with the stroller to the dealer and put it in both before a test drive.

By the way. Since you are coming from a 3 series you may be more at home in the GS. If you decide on the RX see if there is an awd available.

Background: I'm 6 feet tall. 2 kids. 8&9 now. But I've had rear facing baby seats in these cars. LX470, RX350, IS300, X5 and G37 sedan.

Last edited by rijc99; 04-05-15 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 GS 350F vs 2014 RX 350F