GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why oh why would anyone renew Enform

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 02:46 PM
neilattack
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ComSciGuy
That is correct. Your dealer is either misinform or was just blowing you off. You should have filled out an application form when you bought your car. Depending on how fast your dealer pass that information to Lexus Enform will determine how soon it will be activated. You can call Lexus Enform directly and bypass the dealer, that's what I ended up doing.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll get in touch with Lexus Enform directly.
Old 03-21-15, 03:03 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neilattack
And which stupid dealer told you that you needed to pay? Care to name names?
Old 03-21-15, 04:25 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't renew the ridiculous fee, and was shocked to see the eDestination stuff requires a paid subscription. Seriously, in this day and age, why can't I just have my phone send my car the location data and have it show up without paying over $200 per year? It's not like the technology isn't there, and I hate the way the eDestination site works to begin with.

Lexus needs to get some smarter people designing some things on the web side of things. I'm on the LSB site, and they recently ran a poll with a few questions, and 99% of it was basically asking "how important is tech to you". Extremely, for every answer. Because when all else is equal (drivetrain, stability, fit and finish, overall quality), technology is the deciding factor for me. /rant
Old 03-21-15, 05:09 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I didn't renew the ridiculous fee, and was shocked to see the eDestination stuff requires a paid subscription. Seriously, in this day and age, why can't I just have my phone send my car the location data and have it show up without paying over $200 per year? It's not like the technology isn't there, and I hate the way the eDestination site works to begin with.

Lexus needs to get some smarter people designing some things on the web side of things. I'm on the LSB site, and they recently ran a poll with a few questions, and 99% of it was basically asking "how important is tech to you". Extremely, for every answer. Because when all else is equal (drivetrain, stability, fit and finish, overall quality), technology is the deciding factor for me. /rant
If you want to make the transfer of destination input from your phone to car for free, you have to build in bluetooth or wifi ad hoc networking to your car's infotainment system so it can communicate with your phone. Basically enform app.

Otherwise, some kind of cellular/data connection is required. Currently, when you send destination information to your car either from your phone remotely or eDestination , it goes to a server which is then relayed to your car. This costs money.

Actually... you can use the enform app which does support direct transfer from phone to car.

If you just want to make entering destinations easier...

1. Open the Lexus Enform App Suite on your phone. (Can be done anytime. Even while not connected to your car)
2. Search for a destination or Enter the address into the Bing app.
3. Once the address or destination is found, click on it and press "SAVE "
4. Then once you are back in your car, open the apps in your car's infotainment and go to Saved Destinations. Your car will ask if you want to sync saved destinations. Select yes. (You may have to open the app again if it timed out.)
5. Once the saved destinations are transferred you can select them as destinations for your in car nav.

Last edited by rijc99; 03-21-15 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 10:40 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by neilattack
Just push the SOS button in your car and they'll help you activate it. It may take a few days to get it activated though.
Old 03-22-15, 08:33 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
If you want to make the transfer of destination input from your phone to car for free, you have to build in bluetooth or wifi ad hoc networking to your car's infotainment system so it can communicate with your phone. Basically enform app.

Otherwise, some kind of cellular/data connection is required. Currently, when you send destination information to your car either from your phone remotely or eDestination , it goes to a server which is then relayed to your car. This costs money.

Actually... you can use the enform app which does support direct transfer from phone to car.

If you just want to make entering destinations easier...

1. Open the Lexus Enform App Suite on your phone. (Can be done anytime. Even while not connected to your car)
2. Search for a destination or Enter the address into the Bing app.
3. Once the address or destination is found, click on it and press "SAVE "
4. Then once you are back in your car, open the apps in your car's infotainment and go to Saved Destinations. Your car will ask if you want to sync saved destinations. Select yes. (You may have to open the app again if it timed out.)
5. Once the saved destinations are transferred you can select them as destinations for your in car nav.
This worked great!! Thanks for the tip!! I just leave the app open in the background on my phone all the time now.
Old 03-22-15, 11:16 AM
HiepNotik
Rookie

I'm confuse, does the enform subscription included the navigation system too? if I don't renew I can't use the navigation system to navigate?
Old 03-22-15, 11:37 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HiepNotik
I'm confuse, does the enform subscription included the navigation system too? if I don't renew I can't use the navigation system to navigate?
In car navigation will work forever.

Subscription is for the ability to call an operator from Enform services and have them push a destination from their server to your car. OR to remotely push a destination from web interface or app over the air to your car.

But you can always use the Enform app to remotely search then sync destinations locally while connected or enter destinations through your car like a traditional GPS for free.

Last edited by rijc99; 03-22-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-22-15, 12:41 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
How is that peace of mind? It makes for a pretty expensive insurance posicy when you already have insurance on the car that covers theft. And frankly, if a car gets stolen there is a good chance you are not going to want the car back. They are seldom in the same condition when they are recovered.
It was hard to find a GS350 with HUD and Mark Levinson for a reasonable price. Had to have it shipped from Florida to Cali. If it's a reputable shop that can repair the car back to the way it was, I am fine with that.
Old 03-22-15, 02:33 PM
Mixman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Unfortunately yes. I hope they eventually make a stand alone option, but they probably won't since it requires the data connection associated with Safety Connect. It's $220 a year after trial.
Well unfortunately, I might have to pay for at least a year of Enform since my car is outside here in the Northeast and I need remote start. It will cost at least $500 to have a good remote start installed, so I guess for me it balances out.
Old 03-22-15, 03:40 PM
HiepNotik
Rookie

Originally Posted by rijc99
In car navigation will work forever.

Subscription is for the ability to call an operator from Enform services and have them push a destination from their server to your car. OR to remotely push a destination from web interface or app over the air to your car.

But you can always use the Enform app to remotely search then sync destinations locally while connected or enter destinations through your car like a traditional GPS for free.
Awesome! Thanks. Yeah if navigation still works then no need for anyone to renew unless there are more features.
Old 03-24-15, 11:01 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks rijc99. That's really what I expected, since I know the app syncs changes from the Lexus driver's website with the car over bluetooth. I just thought you always had to use their website to enter destinations. Now that you've shown me the shortcut (app to car) I can build a list of destinations on my phone and transfer that way.

Perfect solution, thanks again.
Old 03-24-15, 11:25 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Thanks rijc99. That's really what I expected, since I know the app syncs changes from the Lexus driver's website with the car over bluetooth. I just thought you always had to use their website to enter destinations. Now that you've shown me the shortcut (app to car) I can build a list of destinations on my phone and transfer that way.

Perfect solution, thanks again.
Glad to help.
Old 03-25-15, 04:41 AM
LexusAmes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
It was hard to find a GS350 with HUD and Mark Levinson for a reasonable price. Had to have it shipped from Florida to Cali. If it's a reputable shop that can repair the car back to the way it was, I am fine with that.
I just bought mine yesterday in Duluth, GA. GS 350 with HUD, Mark Levinson, 18 way power seats with settings memory on both driver & passenger. Sticker is over $62k..obviously didn't pay that seeing as it's a 2013. I am new to GS as I traded a 2012 RX 350 with ONLY 19,719 miles on it... I loved that car but I'm STOKED for all the options and feature that the car has. When I put it in Sport + mode I LOVE that the seats change according the driving style I have set. Very cool feature!

When do you take delivery on your GS from California? what year model?

Last edited by LexusAmes; 03-25-15 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 04:52 AM
LexusAmes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
Awesome, they can keep their safety connect! I think I'll survive out there..

And the destination assist is cool to dazzle passengers and all, but normally I just use my cell and voice search, then let the car navigate for me over the speakers and map screen, just like Destination assist minus the phone call and waiting for someone else to input my search!

I am going to have to agree for $281 this is a no brainer to refuse, am I missing something else here?!!

Destination Assist definitely depends on the driver & whether or not you use it for places where you are unfamiliar or if it's beneficial for other needs such as work, school, etc. No matter what vehicle you have or purchase, if you want all the cool technology, there is going to be a price you have to pay for it. Just like we have smart phones but have to purchase app's to use the technology the way it was built to be used. The same way that some app's you pay money to download, you're going to pay a subscription fee for Concierge services like speaking to an operator.

That $200+ is a cheap price when you have an accident and are unconscious over a bridge, that service can be life saving. Speaking from experience. It also has many benefits if in an area you're unfamiliar and looking for a specific address but maybe not in a safe area or it's unknown... you'll always have in-car Nav if you have the system but talking to a live operator has it's benefits. Sometimes they keep you awake while you dangle... I'm just saying...

I instruct as an adjunct on various college campuses and tech schools in cities that I know nothing about the area. For me, the Destination Assist is a God-send as my previous free-standing TomTom would interfere with the satellite signal on my car as they sometimes hit the same frequencies bouncing from the satellites. I also like that the system is vehicle-independent and not depending on my cell phone to have a signal or think I'll use my phone in the event of a wreck. Anyone who's been in more than just a fender bender knows that everything scatters in crevices you never knew existed, so it's nice that the Nav is connected to an independent satellite signal strictly for my car. I've also used it to get out of major traffic in the city & being able to ask it to take me home but being able to see the cross roads that I wasn't aware of or having multiple routes to choose from has been nice in multiple instances. Again, it's a personal preference.

I think the Safety Connect is, again, dependent on the person. I had a serious car accident where I was critically injured and we were in a GM vehicle with OnStar. I was a passenger and riding with my boyfriend. When it registered that we had been hit in the side, OnStar ended up calling 911 as the driver and myself were unresponsive. I had never been a believer of "they saved my life".. until they did.

I was hemorrhaging from a wound that was 4 weeks old and I have a heart condition, so the injury became life threatening. We were told by various people who have nothing to do with GM or brand or what have you, that we are a success story of how the in-service systems work.

Granted, I'm aware and know that there are others who's systems have been faulty, unresponsive, etc. By no means are these systems a say-all, end-all. I was rear-ended in my RX and the SafetyConnect had the local 911 online instead of my phone bouncing back to Atlanta and then back to Columbus, Ohio where I was.

What features do you want the SafetyConnect and Destination Assist to do for you, that aren't available now? Is it your year model where SC & DA were just being introduced? I'm just curious.

Quick Reply: Why oh why would anyone renew Enform