GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

iPod 5th Gen & GS350 compatability

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 11:59 AM
Plano_GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow iPod 5th Gen & GS350 compatability

Has anyone tried to use an iPod touch 5th generation in their 2013 GS350 non-ML?
I know that it will work via the headphone port & Bluetooth?, but I'd like to use it with the USB instead.
Also, anyone's opinions on how it sounds via BT vs. USB vs. AUX.??

Last edited by Plano_GS; 03-19-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the iPod Nano and it played fine in my GS F Sport with ML. I wouldn't think non-ML would make a difference. The original iPod had frequent drop-outs.
Old 03-21-15, 02:15 PM
GS350Dat
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an iPod classic in my lex with a usb connection. Works fine!
Old 03-22-15, 05:11 AM
DLKC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Dat
GS350Dat

Can you let me know which version of I-Tunes you are using? Also which music format are you using? I used "WAV" and "MP3" and using the USB connection the iPod Classic does not power up on its own after I switch off the engine and starting the car. Therefore every time I start the engine, I have to unplug and plug the USB. It has been very frustrating.
Old 03-22-15, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I had an iPod classic with a usb connection and got frequent dropouts. The audio system would just shut down intermittently. That's the only reason I upgraded to a Nano. Glad yours is working well!
Old 03-22-15, 08:28 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an iPod Touch latest gen with the front and rear camera. It works fine on USB.

I mainly use an iPad mini ret attached with USB running either Downcast or iTunes radio.

The cup holder when open is a perfect holding spot for the iPad mini. Perfect angle. Kinda like a smaller version of Tesla S's screen.
Old 03-24-15, 07:23 AM
GS350Dat
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. I just started using the classics probably since early this year and yes at the beginning there where frenquent drop outs! Meaning like someone mentioned you would have to unplug usb and replug it. Then it will work and yes very frustrating! Also when you try to switch songs you get a message that says iPod is syncing to system please wait. Or something rather! But as of late i started to do a "on the go"playlist and since then it hasn't have any problems. Maybe its that or maybe the car is adjusting to the iPod and probably works itself out! I also can switch songs instantly with out that please wait message. I sure hope that answers some of you alls questions!
Oh and i am using the current software for it! Good luck folks!
Old 03-24-15, 11:42 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Are you using an aftermarket cable? A lot of those are very cheaply made in China. Try a different one.
Old 03-24-15, 06:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the late reply. I just started using the classics probably since early this year and yes at the beginning there where frenquent drop outs! Meaning like someone mentioned you would have to unplug usb and replug it. Then it will work and yes very frustrating! Also when you try to switch songs you get a message that says iPod is syncing to system please wait. Or something rather! But as of late i started to do a "on the go"playlist and since then it hasn't have any problems. Maybe its that or maybe the car is adjusting to the iPod and probably works itself out! I also can switch songs instantly with out that please wait message. I sure hope that answers some of you alls questions!
Yes, I had exactly what you described with my iPod Classic. And it happened more frequently the longer I owned the car. And I switched the cable I bought at Radio Shack for one I bought at the Apple store. Again, it wasn't until I upgraded to the Nano that it went away, but hopefully it is an issue confined to only a few GS's.
Old 03-25-15, 05:57 AM
DLKC
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your clarification. I am also using the nano and I do not have the issue I experience with the classic. One of the two of my earlier ipod has the same issue. I am using the cable provided by Apple. In fact I have changed multiple cables but the classic is still not working properly.

I will try the "on the go" approach and hope it works!