GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 02:43 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+

I can’t tell the difference between sport and sport+. The suspensions might be a tad stiffer, but I feel no difference at all in the steering feel. The steering doesn’t get any stiffer.

I’m thinking something might be wrong with my car. Before I ask Lexus to take a look, I would like some feedback from people that own the Luxury package

I have already read that in the F sport package, you can really tell the difference, but my question is specific to the Luxury package.
Old 03-17-15, 04:28 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I definitely feel a difference in the transmission and suspension. I also feel a difference in the steering, but not as big of a difference.
Old 03-17-15, 05:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinm123
I can’t tell the difference between sport and sport+. The suspensions might be a tad stiffer, but I feel no difference at all in the steering feel. The steering doesn’t get any stiffer.

I’m thinking something might be wrong with my car. Before I ask Lexus to take a look, I would like some feedback from people that own the Luxury package

I have already read that in the F sport package, you can really tell the difference, but my question is specific to the Luxury package.
I think you may be a bit confused about the difference between Sport and Sport+ variable drive modes.
Old 03-17-15, 05:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

On the IS, the differences (in steering, shifting, throttle) really occur between Norm and Sport modes. Sport + is pretty much the same as Sport, but with suspension changes. Is it not that way on the GS?
Old 03-17-15, 05:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
On the IS, the differences (in steering, shifting, throttle) really occur between Norm and Sport modes. Sport + is pretty much the same as Sport, but with suspension changes. Is it not that way on the GS?
Yes...that's correct.
Old 03-17-15, 09:52 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sport+ mode in my car holds the suspension very steady around turns and the steering wheel requires more force to turn it.
Old 03-18-15, 06:59 AM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think you may be a bit confused about the difference between Sport and Sport+ variable drive modes.
can you elaborate please? Sport+ should have stiffer steering and suspensions as compared to sport. What's confusing about that?
Old 03-18-15, 12:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

can you elaborate please? Sport+ should have stiffer steering and suspensions as compared to sport. What's confusing about that?
I believe the only difference you should be detecting is that the suspension has stiffer dampening in Sport+ mode, which you said you might have detected...and you would be correct As for the steering - I believe the heavier steering feedback in Sport and Sport+ is the same, and you detected that there was no difference...and you would be correct. But, you then said; "I’m thinking something might be wrong with my car." And with that comment it prompted me to say; if you were looking for anything more or anything different between the Sport mode versus the Sport+ mode (from what you correctly detected) I think you may be a bit confused about the difference between Sport and Sport+ variable drive modes.
Old 03-18-15, 12:36 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the only difference you should be detecting is that the suspension has stiffer dampening in Sport+ mode, which you said you might have detected...and you would be correct As for the steering - I believe the heavier steering feedback in Sport and Sport+ is the same, and you detected that there was no difference...and you would be correct. But, you then said; "I’m thinking something might be wrong with my car." And with that comment it prompted me to say; if you were looking for anything more or anything different between the Sport mode versus the Sport+ mode (from what you correctly detected) I think you may be a bit confused about the difference between Sport and Sport+ variable drive modes.
Sport changes the throttle response.
Sport+ is the Sport throttle response PLUS tightened shocks and rack n pinion. So you should feel a difference in the way the steering responds.

The steering feel is most noticeable on F Sport RWD because that is the model with VGRS. Without VGRS the Sport+ will dial back power steering boost but the rack gear ratio is still the same.

Last edited by rijc99; 03-18-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 01:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rijc99
Sport changes the throttle response.
Sport+ is the Sport throttle response PLUS tightened shocks and rack n pinion. So you should feel a difference in the way the steering responds.

The steering feel is most noticeable on F Sport RWD because that is the model with VGRS. Without VGRS the Sport+ will dial back power steering boost but the rack gear ratio is still the same.
Forget about the F-Sport - because the topic is about a GS 350 Luxury Package and the difference(s) of Sport mode versus Sport+ mode. Also, forget about the engine throttle response and also the transmission shift characteristics because both Sport mode and Sport+ mode provide exactly the same for those two things. That said, the only things that remain are the suspension and the steering. We already know that only Sport+ mode changes the suspension. And, we already know that the Sport mode changes the steering response. All that said, the only question that remains to be answered is - in a Luxury Package GS 350 does Sport+ mode 'further' change the steering in some way (e.g. even heavier feel over what Sport mode provides or a change in ratio, etc.) beyond what the Sport mode already changes the steering?

Last edited by bclexus; 03-18-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 02:17 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Forget about the F-Sport - because the topic is about a GS 350 Luxury Package and Sport mode versus Sport+ mode. Also, forget about the engine throttle response and also the transmission shift characteristics because both Sport mode and Sport+ mode are exactly the same for those two things. That said, the only things that remain are the steering and the suspension. We already know that the Sport mode changes the steering response. And, we already know that Sport+ mode changes the suspension. All that said, the only question that remains to be answered is - in a Luxury Package GS 350 does Sport+ mode 'further' change the steering in some way beyond what the Sport mode already has changed the steering?
Sorry, when I said throttle response I was thinking of computer shift logic and input as one.

So yes Sport S changes the shift points and throttle response. The Sport S+ adds in changes to shocks and steering. Sport S does nothing to the steering settings. So there is no further change that occurs from Sport S to Sport S+ as THE change occurs at Sport S+.

Scroll down to the variable driving modes pop out.
http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features#

Last edited by rijc99; 03-18-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 02:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rijc99
Sorry, when I said throttle response I was thinking of computer shift logic and input as one.

So yes Sport S changes the shift points and throttle response. The Sport S+ adds in changes to shocks and steering. Sport S does nothing to the steering settings.
Going to Sport mode does indeed change the steering response. The question is - does Sport+ mode 'further' change the steering in some way beyond what the Sport mode already has changed the steering?
Old 03-18-15, 02:31 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Going to Sport mode does indeed change the steering response. The question is - does Sport+ mode 'further' change the steering in some way beyond what the Sport mode already has changed the steering?
Not according to Lexus

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/features#

Last edited by rijc99; 03-18-15 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-18-15, 02:33 PM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seems so unless I'm mis-interpreting what that link says.

Here's what Lexus says (from the link provided by rijc99 a couple posts above):

Sport S/S+ Mode
Sport S mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission's shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.

Last edited by XFactor7; 03-18-15 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 02:37 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XFactor7
It seems so unless I'm mis-interpreting what that link says.

Here's what Lexus says (from the link provided by rijc99 a couple posts above):

Sport S/S+ Mode
Sport S mode changes the gauge cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission's shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.
Exactly, according to Lexus... there is no change in steering setting from Normal to Sport S. The change takes place from S to S+

Quick Reply: Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+