GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fogging problems???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 03:19 PM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogging problems???

Not sure if anyone else has this problem...had my '15 GS FSport for a month, and thing fogs up really quick and easy. It can be 60 outside and in seconds my windows are fogged. I always have to drive with my defrost on, so today I got a rock chip and seconds later an 8" crack because of it! A little annoyed with this right now.
Old 03-14-15, 03:29 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about the rock, 2013 Luxury and no fogging issues whatsoever. I'm sure you already checked the usual suspects and ensured the system is on auto (so the A/C scrubs the moisture) and on outside air mode (as opposed to recirc). Others will chime in. Good luck.
Old 03-14-15, 03:37 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry about your window crack, that sucks. You do have the auto button on right, your not trying to run it without the a/c being on? This car will default to recirculated air by default above 70 or so degrees. So it if its humid outside and the system is on recirc and you have the ac off= lots of foggy windows.
Old 03-14-15, 03:47 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a 2015 GS 350 F-sport and no problems here.

Noticed something interesting driving my mom's ES yesterday...she asked me why the air only comes out cold in recirculation mode and when she changes it outside air mode it blows warm air from outside. I thought this was weird and was a problem, so I checked the climate settings by using the screen and found that the AC has been off the whole time. Once I clicked on the AC button, everything worked the way it suppose to. I suspect you're experiencing a similar problem...
Old 03-14-15, 04:10 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure you don't have re-circulation mode on, this may cause windows to fog up.

It should look something like this,
Old 03-14-15, 04:13 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I have a 2015 GS 350 F-sport and no problems here.

Noticed something interesting driving my mom's ES yesterday...she asked me why the air only comes out cold in recirculation mode and when she changes it outside air mode it blows warm air from outside. I thought this was weird and was a problem, so I checked the climate settings by using the screen and found that the AC has been off the whole time. Once I clicked on the AC button, everything worked the way it suppose to. I suspect you're experiencing a similar problem...
I think you're on to something. I remember fiddling with the GS screen and with similar screen settings. OP needs to check this.
Old 03-14-15, 04:23 PM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A/C wasn't on cause it was cold here last week and didn't want cool air blowing...still had the problem before with A/C on. Turned it on so we'll see if that fixes it. Now if this crack would stop growing...grew another half inch just sitting in the garage!
Old 03-14-15, 04:33 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcbooth
A/C wasn't on cause it was cold here last week and didn't want cool air blowing...still had the problem before with A/C on. Turned it on so we'll see if that fixes it. Now if this crack would stop growing...grew another half inch just sitting in the garage!
I usually don't turn the AC off even when it is cold outside (although it's never that cold down in SOCAL ). I don't like the humid feeling from air without the AC. I just turn the temp up and let the car adjust the heat and fan speed on its own.

You should probably get that windshield repaired or replaced ASAP! I don't think the crack in the windshield is due to the humidity. I know that many members complained about the weakness of the windshield. I think someone mentioned that it was due to the angle and curvature of the windshield that makes it prone to chips and cracks.
Old 03-14-15, 05:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Make sure you don't have re-circulation mode on, this may cause windows to fog up.

It should look something like this,
SNiiP3R - In your image you provided, it is now in the recirculating mode, which means the system keeps recirculating inside air only instead of bringing in a mix of fresh outside air so the air doesn't get stale inside the car. Having the A/C in the Auto mode will alternate between these two modes...

To the OP - it sounds like the reason why you have fogging windows is because you have the A/C turned Off. The A/C should never be turned Off, even if the outside temperature is -40 degrees...because you always want the air to be conditioned, thus the name 'Air Conditioning' or A/C for short. You should also always have the A/C in the 'Auto' mode, which alternates between the Recirculating mode and the Fresh Air mode. The only time you would ever want the system to be on strictly recirculating inside air only would be to keep outside smells (e.g. skunk smell) from getting inside the car.

Last edited by bclexus; 03-14-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 06:04 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Originally Posted by Willcbooth
I've had this conversation with my 80 year dad many times. Pop the car knows more about how to run the climate system than you do. If your hot- lower the temp, if your cold- raise the temp. He's from the era where you ran everything manually. You didn't start the car with the compressor on (too much additional load on the starter), the evaporator would freeze up if the outside temp wasn't hot, the car would overheat if you ran the a/c while idling in too long in hot weather, running the a/c lowered your mpg and so forth. I'm very blessed to still have my dad around.

Bottom line just set the temp you like and let the car do the rest.
Old 03-14-15, 06:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeller
I've had this conversation with my 80 year dad many times. .......... I'm very blessed to still have my dad around.
I hope you tell your Dad that you love him. He won't always be around...
Old 03-14-15, 06:20 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
I hope you tell your Dad that you love him. He won't always be around...
We played golf yesterday, loser buys lunch. I paid for lunch. I didn't mind.
Old 03-14-15, 06:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkeller
We played golf yesterday, loser buys lunch. I paid for lunch. I didn't mind.
Excellent...
Old 03-14-15, 06:38 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
SNiiP3R - In your image you provided, it is now in the recirculating mode, which means the system keeps recirculating inside air only instead of bringing in a mix of fresh outside air so the air doesn't get stale inside the car. Having the A/C in the Auto mode will alternate between these two modes...

To the OP - it sounds like the reason why you have fogging windows is because you have the A/C turned Off. The A/C should never be turned Off, even if the outside temperature is -40 degrees...because you always want the air to be conditioned, thus the name 'Air Conditioning' or A/C for short. You should also always have the A/C in the 'Auto' mode, which alternates between the Recirculating mode and the Fresh Air mode. The only time you would ever want the system to be on strictly recirculating inside air only would be to keep outside smells (e.g. skunk smell) from getting inside the car.
That's why I told him to make sure it's not in that mode
Old 03-14-15, 06:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
That's why I told him to make sure it's not in that mode
Ah, okay - you were showing him the mode that he should not be in. When you said; "It should look something like this," I thought you meant it really should look like that, if it was set correctly. How it was worded was confusing...to me anyway...

Quick Reply: Fogging problems???