GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Just traded my GS for a ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 09:06 PM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I was considering the ESH but the 4 cylinder and 200hp seemed underpowered. How do you compare the acceleration in the GS to the ESH? Love the MPH on the GS450, EV mode in city driving and being able to leave the car on (engine not running using battery power only) with the AC while my wife is shopping is great. Enjoy.
Old 03-08-15, 09:42 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
There are variables to what makes leasing or buying better. But I don't think some people really think through the comment you made. If you want to sell your car after some amount of time shorter than a lease, do you really think it will cost you less than getting out of a lease? Think it through. It's a pay me now or pay me later scenario.
+1. I dont think its a win situation for the OP either but we do what we feel right for our situation. No matter how it's sliced turning in early is never beneficial for consumers. And IMO the GS' quality is well worth the extra bucks for the gas
Old 03-08-15, 10:12 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom450
I was considering the ESH but the 4 cylinder and 200hp seemed underpowered. How do you compare the acceleration in the GS to the ESH? Love the MPH on the GS450, EV mode in city driving and being able to leave the car on (engine not running using battery power only) with the AC while my wife is shopping is great. Enjoy.

I headed to Hermosa Beach today and racked 98.3 miles on a fresh tank. I was very surprised by the ES because i thought it was going to be a real sluggish car on the highway however i was honestly a bit amazed both with the mpg and the boost. I averaged 38.5 mpg, and im pretty heavy footed off the line, i like to get moving but once i reach the speed limit or a few miles over i just coast. I got a 130 mph ticket 3 years ago heading to Laughlin, Nevada, which cost me $2500 and a 3 month suspension so i cant afford another ticket because they will yank my license for a good while. In my defense the highway was totally empty at night and it was a straight shot for good 5 miles easy.

Anyway, the ES is super quick off the line, it shoots to 30 mph like no ones business, seriously its definitely faster than the rear wheel drive GS to 30 mph, even faster than my M5 or Challenger, or a handful of other V8 rear wheel drive cars. The electric boost from 1500-4500 rpm is amazing. When i switched to Sport mode ( so it gives you full torque from the electric motor and engine), it threw me back in my seat, kinda like the Tesla videos i see, kid you not. Even my fiance was really surprised. However, it does get a bit sluggish after that to 60. I believe 0-60 is somewhere in the mid 7 secs. Its definitely not as fast as the GS, not even close, but the torque delivery is much quicker. When you attempt to pass someone, the engine is not killing itself like you would find in other 4 cylinder vehicles, its very smooth and pleasing. Also once you get up to speed and release the throttle so the rpm drops and stabilizes, then again you can access the electric boost and get a nice thrust forward when you want to accelerate. Honestly coming from a guy that driven a lot of fast cars, i would tell you if it sucked, but for a commuter / road trips, it is perfect to what i was looking for. But man i can just imagine what the GS Hybrid is like, that would be one hell of a car. With the handling of the GS, oh man. I can now understand what the GS hybrid owners were raving about, that sweet electric boost, definitely sweet. One of my favorite features of the car is the bamboo steering wheel, how the heck does Lexus get it so so smooth, it feels so goood in your hands.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 03-08-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 05:14 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Someone should put an ESh on a dyno It feels pretty fast from 0-30 from all that electric torque that starts from 0 rpm. It also makes a cool Tesla-like noise when accelerating from a standstill in Sport mode as the higher 650 V to the motor makes more torque.

If an ESh has enough low end kick, a GS450h would be a torque monster.

Last edited by chromedome; 03-09-15 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 06:43 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
A buddy of mine just purchased an 2015 ES Hybrid, he keeps texting me photos of the MPG's he's been getting from his commutes. 40+ mpg with premium gas prices going back up again can be enticing.
And the ES hybrid does not require premium which saves even more money.
Old 03-09-15, 07:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Anyway, the ES is super quick off the line, it shoots to 30 mph like no ones business, seriously its definitely faster than the rear wheel drive GS to 30 mph, even faster than my M5 or Challenger, or a handful of other V8 rear wheel drive cars. The electric boost from 1500-4500 rpm is amazing. When i switched to Sport mode ( so it gives you full torque from the electric motor and engine), it threw me back in my seat, kinda like the Tesla videos i see, kid you not. Even my fiance was really surprised. However, it does get a bit sluggish after that to 60. I believe 0-60 is somewhere in the mid 7 secs. Its definitely not as fast as the GS, not even close, but the torque delivery is much quicker. When you attempt to pass someone, the engine is not killing itself like you would find in other 4 cylinder vehicles, its very smooth and pleasing. Also once you get up to speed and release the throttle so the rpm drops and stabilizes, then again you can access the electric boost and get a nice thrust forward when you want to accelerate. Honestly coming from a guy that driven a lot of fast cars, i would tell you if it sucked, but for a commuter / road trips, it is perfect to what i was looking for. But man i can just imagine what the GS Hybrid is like, that would be one hell of a car. With the handling of the GS, oh man. I can now understand what the GS hybrid owners were raving about, that sweet electric boost, definitely sweet. One of my favorite features of the car is the bamboo steering wheel, how the heck does Lexus get it so so smooth, it feels so goood in your hands.
Question: Knowing how you are, and being completely honest in your answer...how long do you think this car will continue to be perfect for you?
Old 03-09-15, 09:02 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Question: Knowing how you are, and being completely honest in your answer...how long do you think this car will continue to be perfect for you?
Until he finds a different car that would be perfect for him I'm the same way lol
Old 03-09-15, 09:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I will pay off this vehicle in a few years and keep it for a long long time as my famiy trip / commute car.
Originally Posted by sick21
Until he finds a different car that would be perfect for him I'm the same way lol
Just wondering what his definition is of 'for a long, long time'.
Old 03-09-15, 10:11 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
And the ES hybrid does not require premium which saves even more money.
Yeah i read in the owners manual that it takes 87 octane, definetly another highlight given that 91 octane is $ 3.90 / gal in L.A

Honestly, im planning on keeping this car for at least 9 years, all the great options will keep the car feeling modern. The look is modern as well. Im planning on sending jumbo payments to pay off the car in 3 years time so i dont pay too much interest, and the next 5-6 years having no payments will definitely save me tons of money, instead of leasing another car and then another car.

Also the ES H retains it value a lot better than the GS non hybrid. 2013 ES Hybrids cost the same if not a few grand more than a 2013 GS 350. With 13K miles, decked out with all options , my ES was listed at $39,000 but i got it for $35,000. There are 3 2013 GS 350 w/ Nav listed at $36,000. You can check the Keyes Lexus pre-owned cars, they are still for sale. I could have got a 2013 GS for $34,000. In 5-7 years a 2013 GS will be worth much less than the ES H. This also helped my decision. Im just tired of paying car payments every month and as a buy, with the great mpg, luxury and retainment of value, the ES H was the best choice from all the cars starting at $35,000
Old 03-09-15, 10:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah i read in the owners manual that it takes 87 octane, definetly another highlight given that 91 octane is $ 3.90 / gal in L.A

Honestly, im planning on keeping this car for at least 9 years, all the great options will keep the car feeling modern. The look is modern as well. Im planning on sending jumbo payments to pay off the car in 3 years time so i dont pay too much interest, and the next 5-6 years having no payments will definitely save me tons of money, instead of leasing another car and then another car.

Also the ES H retains it value a lot better than the GS non hybrid. 2013 ES Hybrids cost the same if not a few grand more than a 2013 GS 350. With 13K miles, decked out with all options , my ES was listed at $39,000 but i got it for $35,000. There are 3 2013 GS 350 w/ Nav listed at $36,000. You can check the Keyes Lexus pre-owned cars, they are still for sale. I could have got a 2013 GS for $34,000. In 5-7 years a 2013 GS will be worth much less than the ES H. This also helped my decision. Im just tired of paying car payments every month and as a buy, with the great mpg, luxury and retainment of value, the ES H was the best choice from all the cars starting at $35,000
You're paying like 85% of the interest in the first 3 years.
A 5 year $40K 1.9% loan and you pay $1661 in interest in 3 years and saving under $300 in interest.Not as much as you thought but still $300.
Old 03-09-15, 10:30 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You're paying like 85% of the interest in the first 3 years.
A 5 year $40K 1.9% loan and you pay $1661 in interest in 3 years and saving under $300 in interest.Not as much as you thought but still $300.
Yeah but say if i want to pay off the amount financed cash, i wont pay any interest, because the loan amount is for the value of the new car plus the neg. equity. It obviously does not include the interest.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 03-09-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 10:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

i drive a lot. About 2000 miles a month.
I will pay off this vehicle in a few years and keep it for a long long time as my famiy trip / commute car.
Originally Posted by sick21
Just wondering what his definition is of 'for a long, long time'.
Honestly, im planning on keeping this car for at least 9 years...
Really?

The car is 2 1/2 years old already and has 13,000 miles on the odometer. You drive about 2,000 miles a month, which is 24,000 miles per year. You say that you are planning on keeping this car for at least 9 years as your trip/commute car. That means that nine years from now this car will be almost 12 years old with 229,000 miles on the odometer. That ain't happening - and you know it...

Would you like to make a wager?
Old 03-09-15, 10:38 AM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I disagree. There's a CPO 2013 ES 300h with 18k miles listed for $36.7k and another CPO 2013 with 27k miles is listed for $34k.

On the other hand, a CPO 2013 GS350 base AWD with 16k miles is listed for $39k and another CPO 2013 base AWD with 30k miles is listed for $38.3k, all at the same dealer.

Seriously though, as long as you're happy with your decision, who cares?
Old 03-09-15, 10:50 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

http://www.keyeslexus.com/Inventory/

2013 Lexus GS with 15K miles listed at $36,956

2013 Lexus ES 300 H with 15K miles listed at 35,985.

Dude i dont even know if the world will be around or if i will be alive in 9 years to sit and ponder what am i going to do 7-9 years from now. All i know from a day to day basis im saving some cash and i have tons of more options. Let the future take its course.
Old 03-09-15, 10:52 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

And i just added the ES H to my insurance, my payment went down $70 a month.

Quick Reply: Just traded my GS for a ES 300h