GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

1st Gear Not Available Message!?

Old 03-05-15, 01:01 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 1st Gear Not Available Message!?

Happened today during the snow storm. I never drive in auto when it's snowing. I usually use the first 3 gears to get around, this allows me to engine brake, which reduces the slipping and sliding greatly.

Anyways, today my car ( after 3 winters and many snow events ) decided to disable the 1st gear ??? I have tried turning the snow mode on / off as well as the VSC , but the car would not give me the 1st gear back

Eventually it released it and I was a happy camper again Below is the message I was getting every time I tried to down shift.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 03-05-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 01:03 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

First time I see that message.
Old 03-05-15, 01:12 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

I read about that in the manual a long time ago, but haven't seen it happen in my car. But I don't drive in manual mode in the snow either, so I guess that would be why. I'm not sure what triggers it, maybe an attempt to engage 1st and it detects wheel(s) slipping?
Old 03-05-15, 01:53 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, didn't realize the GS could revoke gear privileges based on slippage. Pretty interesting lol.
Old 03-05-15, 04:19 PM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol yes I've seen this a few times while driving in our many blizzards and snowstorms we've had in the past month. I wanted to bring this up but couldn't catch a pic as here in Mass we tend to drive like a battle royale.

I don't exactly understand how it determines the surface as sometimes when I'm clearly slipping it will allow me to grab it but then sometimes on not so slippery surfaces it will apologize for being inconvenient.
Old 03-05-15, 04:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Maybe the computer has to detect x number of times there is wheel slippage within x period of time before it automatically locks out M1. That would not bode well if you wanted to do numerous burnouts and clocked runs at [say] a drag strip. I'd hate to do a burnout and then stage the car...all to end up surprisingly (and sluggishly) launching off the line like a turtle on crutches in 2nd gear (Snow Mode).
Old 03-05-15, 07:53 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

With nice winter tires, i never get this message . However, even when i turn TC off, its kicks back on when wheel speed gets above 30mph
Old 03-05-15, 07:54 PM
jhyphen
Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Happened today during the snow storm. I never drive in auto when it's snowing. I usually use the first 3 gears to get around, this allows me to engine brake, which reduces the slipping and sliding greatly.

Anyways, today my car ( after 3 winters and many snow events ) decided to disable the 1st gear ??? I have tried turning the snow mode on / off as well as the VSC , but the car would not give me the 1st gear back

Eventually it released it and I was a happy camper again Below is the message I was getting every time I tried to down shift.

You say it gave you that message with the Trac off? I was able to spin my car like a mad tornado on snow with the trac off I do not remember if I had it in Drive or Manual mode though. I am pretty sure that it didn't start me in 2nd as I was able to get the the spin without much work.
Old 03-05-15, 07:58 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

My car spins like a mad tornado in the rain in M1-3 with Trac off.
Old 03-06-15, 02:19 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Trac was on when I got the message. I turned it off, but it would still not release the gear.
Old 03-06-15, 05:18 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Engine braking in first gear in slippery conditions is not good. You are better off using your brakes as they have ABS. Engine braking can easily lock up the tires especially in lower gears. I'd bet that's why they made it that way.
Old 03-06-15, 05:45 AM
ohsown
Rookie

Originally Posted by GregCanada
With nice winter tires, i never get this message . However, even when i turn TC off, its kicks back on when wheel speed gets above 30mph
Are you holding the TC button down long enough to light up the yellow image in the speedo. I run in town over 30 mph without the TC turning back on. I just wish you could control it while moving instead of on or off only while stopped.
Old 03-06-15, 06:39 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good stuff good stuff. yeah i always drive in manual and when it snows i get that message too hahaha
Old 03-06-15, 07:33 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting...

Hey this would be a great question to use if you want to try out the new "Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus". Maybe you can post your question about the "feature" there and let us know what happens!
Old 03-06-15, 11:33 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsown
Are you holding the TC button down long enough to light up the yellow image in the speedo. I run in town over 30 mph without the TC turning back on. I just wish you could control it while moving instead of on or off only while stopped.
I believe it is set up the same way as my tacoma. It keeps everything off until 30mph then it turns it back off when you go below 30mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Gear Not Available Message!?