GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 07:03 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
What are you doing in the back seat looking at your shoes - being chauffeured around?
Haha. One day the freeway traffic will break me and force me to be driven everywhere.
Old 03-24-15, 03:07 AM
Jkenny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its awesome how you walk past the car with the key in your pocket and the puddle lights glow. It like she is calling you to drive her!! You figure I would be used to it by now since the GS is our 3rd Lexus but it still makes me smile when I walk past the GS in the garage and they light up, sorry girl, not now I have to go to work!!
Old 03-24-15, 05:12 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
Its there. When the car is off... gently push down on the gas pedal all the way. Once you reach resistance if you push the pedal further you will feel a click. Thats the button, the kick down switch.

When you are accelerating... push the pedal all the way down then click on the button. It will switch force the transmission to downshift to a lower gear.
Mine does not have this feature. Maybe its F-Sport only?
I just spent 10 mins pushing the gas pedal and did not feel or heard any clicks
Old 03-24-15, 11:23 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

In the door pockets there are grippy rubber/foam liners to keep things from sliding rattling around.
Old 03-24-15, 01:04 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I don't think I have ever felt this click and I have an FSport. Being that the transmission is electronically controlled, such a switch would seem very archaic and unnecessary.
Old 03-24-15, 02:00 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I don't think I have ever felt this click and I have an FSport. Being that the transmission is electronically controlled, such a switch would seem very archaic and unnecessary.
I went WOT a couple of times today and I could not tell you if there was any resistance at where a detent would normally be, or not. I just never think about it, or pay it any attention. I just push the pedal with full force until my right butt cheek is starting to come up off the seat. Next time I floor mine I'll try to remember beforehand so I can pay attention to whether I feel it, or not.

Pressing the gas pedal detent switch (a.k.a. kickdown bump/switch, downshift bump/switch, passing gear button, etc.) was known decades ago as what triggered the automatic transmission to automatically downshift into 'passing gear' - and this was when cars often only had just two or maybe three [forward] gears. Nowadays cars have drive-by-wire computer controlled automatic transmissions that automatically downshift based on engine RPM, engine load, throttle request/pressure, etc. That said, some cars today may still incorporate this feature - because even with 5, 6 and 8-speed transmissions when you press the gas pedal the computer will downshift, but by pressing the detent switch it tells the computer and transmission that you want to drop down multiple gears to the gear appropriate for maximum acceleration. Do all cars nowadays have this feature? Dunno... So much more information can be obtained present-day via computer without the need of mechanical switches.
Old 03-24-15, 02:30 PM
praetor
Racer

Most cars uses throttle position sensors so I can't see why a switch would be needed. But I have been known to be wrong before a long long time ago. LOL
Old 03-24-15, 03:16 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

For the longest time, I would always hear a clicking sound coming from the back driver side of the car when locking and unlocking the doors. I finally figured out that the gas door locks with the car to avoid somebody opening your gas tank while the car is locked.. Found that super cool

Also, the nice mood lighting on the middle of the door panels.. love the look at night!
Old 03-24-15, 04:49 PM
Jkenny
Rookie

Originally Posted by rijc99
Nah, CVT. One thing I'm glad our car does NOT have. HAHA. That's what bothered me the most about the CT. But the instant torque was pretty nice.
I loved my CT but had no power or get up and go, otherwise an amazing machine!
Old 03-24-15, 05:13 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Same here SNiiP3R - I have a 2013 GS450h and there is no detent/kickdown switch behind the gas pedal. I've punched the car several times both in gear and while parked/in neutral. I even tried to look with a flashlight, but I couldn't see anything.

My case might be different since I have a hybrid, but it's just odd that some GS350's have it and others don't. I, too, would have guessed F-Sport vs Non-Sport.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 03-24-15, 07:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkenny
I loved my CT but had no power or get up and go, otherwise an amazing machine!
It's gutless but good looking.

Oh I found the front passenger side to be uncomfortable, the seat is too low.

Driving the GS after the CT makes me go

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Same here SNiiP3R - I have a 2013 GS450h and there is no detent/kickdown switch behind the gas pedal. I've punched the car several times both in gear and while parked/in neutral. I even tried to look with a flashlight, but I couldn't see anything.

My case might be different since I have a hybrid, but it's just odd that some GS350's have it and others don't. I, too, would have guessed F-Sport vs Non-Sport.

~ Im2bz2p345
I don't think 2013's have it, only 2014+. I know some guy traded his 13 for 15 and mentioned this and that's when I found out that mine has it too.
Old 03-24-15, 09:55 PM
ComSciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pleasantly surprised to find a first aid kit in the truck. Is that standard to all Lexuses? Btw what is the proper plural form for Lexus?
The following users liked this post:
MrG24 (06-15-19)
Old 03-24-15, 10:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by ComSciGuy
I was pleasantly surprised to find a first aid kit in the truck. Is that standard to all Lexuses? Btw what is the proper plural form for Lexus?
Yes I think the kit is standard cause my base CT came with one too and the plural is Lexii.
Old 03-25-15, 06:33 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
I went WOT a couple of times today and I could not tell you if there was any resistance at where a detent would normally be, or not. I just never think about it, or pay it any attention. I just push the pedal with full force until my right butt cheek is starting to come up off the seat. Next time I floor mine I'll try to remember beforehand so I can pay attention to whether I feel it, or not.

Pressing the gas pedal detent switch (a.k.a. kickdown bump/switch, downshift bump/switch, passing gear button, etc.) was known decades ago as what triggered the automatic transmission to automatically downshift into 'passing gear' - and this was when cars often only had just two or maybe three [forward] gears. Nowadays cars have drive-by-wire computer controlled automatic transmissions that automatically downshift based on engine RPM, engine load, throttle request/pressure, etc. That said, some cars today may still incorporate this feature - because even with 5, 6 and 8-speed transmissions when you press the gas pedal the computer will downshift, but by pressing the detent switch it tells the computer and transmission that you want to drop down multiple gears to the gear appropriate for maximum acceleration. Do all cars nowadays have this feature? Dunno... So much more information can be obtained present-day via computer without the need of mechanical switches.
Played with my accelerator yesterday on my FSport. I felt no such clock or switch when flooring it.
Old 03-25-15, 03:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Played with my accelerator yesterday on my FSport. I felt no such clock or switch when flooring it.
I remembered to test mine today. I went WOT a few times - no detent (kickdown switch) in mine. It's pure drive-by-wire.

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?