GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Old 03-11-15, 06:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
My favorite discovered feature on my 2014 GS 350 is the full throttle mode.
People who have driven this vehicle and complains that it is slow or lagging during wide open throttle because they did not access the full throttle mode.

Full throttle mode is basically a small tactile detent in our gas pedal. To access it you would need to step on the gas pedal all the way to the floor. And right when you think it has reached its full travel you have to apply more pressure and go past that detent and voila! Full throttle mode baby!
People that are late to discover this have not experienced the term 'pedal-to-the metal' - as in applying ~100lbs+ of pushing effort with the right leg and foot on the throttle pedal to make the car go F-A-S-T! It's hard for me to believe that any red-blooded boy has not done this within the first 3 days of driving a car after first obtaining their drivers license. Oh well...
Old 03-12-15, 09:04 AM
edittman1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
Discovered car has a spare tire-but I must admit to inquiring as to whether the car had one before purchased.

Also, the world's smallest pass through to the trunk from the rear seat. Have no idea what fits through there-maybe a sprinkler pipe cut into 2 lengths?
My hockey sticks!
Old 03-12-15, 09:08 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Hey do u guys know that our cars have a built in alarm from the factory? The horn will go off if u force open the door when it's locked. Even my base CT has it and I think all Lexus cars have it.
Old 03-12-15, 09:14 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Hey do u guys know that our cars have a built in alarm from the factory? The horn will go off if u force open the door when it's locked. Even my base CT has it and I think all Lexus cars have it.
Even my old 2000 Camry had it. It would disable the ignition too so even if someone had a key, unless the key fob was used to unlock the car or key was used to unlock the car, the car would not start.
Old 03-12-15, 09:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Force open the door? I would certainly hope under that situation/condition that the alarm would go off...
Old 03-12-15, 09:18 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Not all cars have it. My 2011 Camry loaded didn't have it. But it does have the engine immobilizer and won't start without the chip but no alarm when u force open a door.
Old 03-12-15, 09:31 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Not all cars have it. My 2011 Camry loaded didn't have it. But it does have the engine immobilizer and won't start without the chip but no alarm when u force open a door.
Probably because I had the XLE trim. But yes it wasn't standard on all models.
Old 03-12-15, 10:08 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
People that are late to discover this have not experienced the term 'pedal-to-the metal' - as in applying ~100lbs+ of pushing effort with the right leg and foot on the throttle pedal to make the car go F-A-S-T! It's hard for me to believe that any red-blooded boy has not done this within the first 3 days of driving a car after first obtaining their drivers license. Oh well...
I may not have known about it either had my '06 IS not been similarly equipped...but it felt just as cool the first time i did it in my GS.
Old 03-12-15, 10:13 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

We had two 1994 Lexi with that feature, an SC and an ES.
Old 03-12-15, 10:55 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with all the above, but I'll add in my pleasant surprises

One thing I dont see that I LOVE is getting into the car by just grabbing the door handles without needing to unlock it first! I set it up to unlock all doors too at the same time, allowing everyone to hop right in easily. Couldn't believe the dealer didn't even show me this!

Also just one touch to start the engine without even needing to hold down the button.. This car is so effortless to own and use!

The auto sensing windshield wipers work better than I could have imagined adjusting themselves based on amount of rain and speed of the car.

The Fuel Guide is great, listing out nearby gas stations and current prices, and you can click to navigate to your favorite brand (or cheapest price if so inclined).

Oh yeah, and the nifty grocery bag holder in the trunk, that one snuck up on me too!

The more I think about this car, the more little things really add up on this fine machine!!
The following users liked this post:
BrotherLuv (07-11-20)
Old 03-12-15, 11:11 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Because we say so
Just have someone inside when you lock the car. Have the person unlock from the inside.
Old 03-12-15, 01:53 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
My favorite discovered feature on my 2014 GS 350 is the full throttle mode.
People who have driven this vehicle and complains that it is slow or lagging during wide open throttle because they did not access the full throttle mode.

Full throttle mode is basically a small tactile detent in our gas pedal. To access it you would need to step on the gas pedal all the way to the floor. And right when you think it has reached its full travel you have to apply more pressure and go past that detent and voila! Full throttle mode baby!
I've tried to feel this "detent' with my foot but never have. Maybe i floor it too hard?
Old 03-12-15, 05:12 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marjenmill
The spare tire is one thing I asked about as well. The dealer told me that the tire is rated for drive a few thousand miles, not the typical 50 miles that small donuts are designed for in most cars.

I like how the parking assist is always engaged so if you're real close to something, such as a drive through, it lets you know.
The parking assist can be disabled by sliding the center armrest to the rear of the vehicle exposing the button that turns the park assist on/off.
The following users liked this post:
BrotherLuv (07-11-20)
Old 03-12-15, 07:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1101GS
Because we say so
Just have someone inside when you lock the car. Have the person unlock from the inside.
I locked myself inside the car with the key and it still works. Just wait until the light starts blinking then open the door.
Old 03-12-15, 10:17 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I locked myself inside the car with the key and it still works. Just wait until the light starts blinking then open the door.
LOL

Or you can just leave door window down and reach in and open the door from the handle inside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?