GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS F Sport - S/S+ Mode issue?

Old 02-27-15, 02:51 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 GS F Sport - S/S+ Mode issue?

Hi All,

These happens to me 4 times now and not sure it normal.

ONLY when on S or S+ model.

As we was driving on the freeway about 60mph. I tapped on the brake and the car slow down but the RPM went from 2-3K to 5K and stays for 5-10sec....(cause some idiot in front of me steps on the brake for no reason). The first time happen, I tries to give a little gas but the car doesn't go any faster...but the engine made louder noise. I just have to let goes the gas paddle and wait a bit.... once the RPM drop to normal is everything is okay.

Again.. only happen with S and S+ Mode.

I talked to some techs, and what they told me that the car is Downshifting when you hit the brake. But Wtheck...

I brought it up to the Lexus Consultant and he says.. He never heard of it.

So, I just want to see if anyone else having the same issue.

or any suggestion...

thanks
Old 02-27-15, 03:05 PM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car downshifts to help you slow down when you're braking in Sport and Sport+ mode. It is normal. It also downshifts early expecting that you might be slowing down for a turn and wants you to be in the best rpm range to give you power coming out of the turn ... It makes sense when you're driving on a curvy back road.

You could also put the car in manual mode and then you don't have to worry about it downshifting on you, but you can downshift using the paddle shifters or gearshift yourself.

If it bothers you, don't drive in Sport/Sport+ mode or use manual mode.
Old 02-27-15, 03:09 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RyanC
The car downshifts to help you slow down when you're braking in Sport and Sport+ mode. It is normal. It also downshifts early expecting that you might be slowing down for a turn and wants you to be in the best rpm range to give you power coming out of the turn ... It makes sense when you're driving on a curvy back road.

You could also put the car in manual mode and then you don't have to worry about it downshifting on you, but you can downshift using the paddle shifters or gearshift yourself.

Yep.

Totally normal.

On a side note, OP, you either seem to have a lot of problems with the car or you aren't happy with it and are looking for things that are wrong. This may not be the car for you. Maybe you should consider lemon lawing it or returning it/trading it in.
Old 02-27-15, 03:30 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Yep.

Totally normal.

On a side note, OP, you either seem to have a lot of problems with the car or you aren't happy with it and are looking for things that are wrong. This may not be the car for you. Maybe you should consider lemon lawing it or returning it/trading it in.
1st off.. thanks but no thanks.

I believe this is a Question/Answer forum. So, I do believe all questions are valid including mine. If you think I'm looking for issue from my car. So what if I am. You don't have to reply to it.
Just IGNORE and Move On! Don't have to be a smartass here.

Just imaging this happen to you with your family in the car. Driving 70 in the carpool lane, tapped on the brake and RPM stuck. You can't do much except wait for RPM to drop to normal.

btw.. at least I owned ONE!

Last edited by johnphan79; 02-27-15 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 03:32 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Originally Posted by RyanC

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-15, 03:35 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The transmission logic is a tad aggressive at higher speeds in sport/sport+ but like others have said it's great for twisty roads. I've driven in a closed course and the transmissions really stays in the sweet spot around the bends. Whenever this happens an few clicks of the + paddle calms everything back down.
Old 02-27-15, 03:41 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Completely normal. That's one of the reasons why I love always driving I'm Sport S+. I disagree with the part where you said that the car didn't go any faster after giving it a little gas. That's where the car has all its power and it should've propelled you a lot. You can also pull on the up paddle a couple times if you don't want it to stay in the high RPMs after hard braking. Try it again and if you don't like it, leave it in normal or Eco and the problem will be gone.
Old 02-27-15, 03:46 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep normal.
Old 02-27-15, 03:50 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Thanks guys....

I guess, I was too scare. don't want to f'up the engine or transmission.

If this is Normal...

I'm good.

Much appreciated.
Old 02-27-15, 03:51 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If the car is lacking power and torque, downshift again manually to get your RPM's up. It is beneficial for everyone to learn how to drive a stick shift vehicle before you go on to an automatic transmission, because you will learn how to control your car. Like downshifting when you enter turns or want to pass a vehicle on the highway. The paddle shifters on manual mode make the GS a whole another beat. The only time i am not in manual mode is when im cruising on the highway.
Old 02-27-15, 04:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by johnphan79
Thanks guys....

I guess, I was too scare. don't want to f'up the engine or transmission.

If this is Normal...

I'm good.

Much appreciated.
as others said, imho the car is smart enough to down shift to anticipate stronger acceleration since it's in sports mode. just imagine you being on a track, you brake because you are entering a corner. you want to downshift so you can power out of the corner. it's working the same logic

in real life, if you are in sports mode and the car down shift when tapping the brake, you can either just wait for it to upshift after seconds (like you describe), or you can always flip the steering paddle to upshift as mentioned
Old 02-27-15, 10:23 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with what everyone says on here that this is completely normal and i want to add a little more info on the matter. I drove a manual transmission car since I was like 14 years old and raced 1000cc Supersport bikes at the track all the time. Whether your driving manual car or motorcycle it makes sense to down shift to lower gear while braking into a turn to put your car into optimum RPMs to launch out of the apex to help you improve your lap times. So this auto transmission is really excellant piece of engineering by lexus.

To OP i think what you are experiancing is not the engine lagging and giving you no eresponse but when the transmission downshift your RPMs will rev high but you will slow down, this is called engine braking. For people who never experiance engine braking they will freak out and think that their engine is losing power but in actuality it is not. All you need to do when this happends is to press on the gas pedal to accellerate again. This should make your car more reponsive.
Old 02-27-15, 11:17 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious to the OP, How many years have you been driving for? When I first learn to drive I had automatic car but also learned manual and to downshift to give more engine response when overtaking other cars, etc. Its normal for this car with the sports mode to downshift. Even my Audi and BMWs do this. I am shocked that you noticed it now and had no clue. Forgive me, but I have noticed this on all cars since I was 16 years old in the 90s.
Old 02-28-15, 02:26 AM
johnphan79
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Just curious to the OP, How many years have you been driving for? When I first learn to drive I had automatic car but also learned manual and to downshift to give more engine response when overtaking other cars, etc. Its normal for this car with the sports mode to downshift. Even my Audi and BMWs do this. I am shocked that you noticed it now and had no clue. Forgive me, but I have noticed this on all cars since I was 16 years old in the 90s.
Well.. i only been driven about 23+ yrs. Since you asked... Compared to others Pro here.. I'm just a rookie.

I owned an 09 Acura RL... Love it driven it under manual mode.

Yes, MANUAL MODE. (where u need to manually change gears)

Well..with Lexus.. driven with under D mode with S/S+ is ENABLE and NOT Manual mode. So, Its doesn't required you to do any shifting beside steps on the GAS paddle. Therefore, when this happened, i was shocked. If I am under MANUAL MODE, i would and should expect this to happen. So, i weren't expecting this to happened specially just tapping on the brake?

Well, thanks for your time.
Old 02-28-15, 11:26 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by johnphan79
I tapped on the brake and the car slow down but the RPM went from 2-3K to 5K and stays for 5-10sec....(cause some idiot in front of me steps on the brake for no reason). The first time happen, I tries to give a little gas but the car doesn't go any faster...but the engine made louder noise.
Hi johnphan79. I'm just a little confused by your initial statement.

You said that when your pressed the brake pedal on the car, the RPM changed from 2-3K to 5K (the car probably downshifted, as others in the topic also suggested).

My question is really with the next part of your statement though .. you said "I tried to give it a little gas, but the car doesn't go any faster and the engine just made a louder noise."

That is definitely something to be concerned about with your vehicle. The peek torque happens at 4800 rpm on our 2GR-FSE (gasoline) & 2GR-FXE (hybrid) engines.

You should have felt a lot of power & the car should have taken off quickly when you were close to the engine's peak torque RPM.

I guess that's why I'm so I would definitely get your car checked out if you're able to replicate this and the car isn't delivering lots of power at 4.5+K rpm

Anyway, all the best sir.

~ Im2bz2p345

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GS F Sport - S/S+ Mode issue?