What type of leather, and care?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 09:15 AM
jcochong37
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of leather, and care?

Hi all,

I've had my GS 350 non f sport for about a week now. I have not been able to secure a solid answer regarding what type of leather I have. From what I can deduce is that has semi-aniline leather as it came standard in the GS?

Secondly, how to care for said leather? I've had a Bmw before and it was leatherette and required essentially no care. And my vehicle prior to this was a camaro and the leather quality was poor.

I want to care for this leather as much as I can.

thanks.
Old 02-25-15, 08:39 PM
msp713
Driver

Originally Posted by jcochong37
Hi all,

I've had my GS 350 non f sport for about a week now. I have not been able to secure a solid answer regarding what type of leather I have. From what I can deduce is that has semi-aniline leather as it came standard in the GS?

Secondly, how to care for said leather? I've had a Bmw before and it was leatherette and required essentially no care. And my vehicle prior to this was a camaro and the leather quality was poor.

I want to care for this leather as much as I can.

thanks.
I've been using stuff from Chemical Guys for exterior and interior care (I have an F-Sport) and they've been working well so far. Not sure what part of Cali you're from but they have a local store here in LA
Old 02-25-15, 08:40 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the Cabernet leather in my GS F Sport and used Lexol on it every week. It was like new when I traded the car in after almost 3 years.
Old 02-26-15, 11:53 AM
jcochong37
Rookie

Thank you, both. Do we have the same type of leather? I know some f sport models have nuluxe? and I guess I have semi-aniline. I'm not sure haha.
Old 02-26-15, 12:04 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Thank you, both. Do we have the same type of leather? I know some f sport models have nuluxe? and I guess I have semi-aniline. I'm not sure haha.
No GS comes with nuluxe. That's standard on the IS though. Leather is extra on that model.
Old 02-26-15, 12:41 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Ah, got it. Lexol it is!
Old 02-26-15, 02:05 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Originally Posted by dseag2
I had the Cabernet leather in my GS F Sport and used Lexol on it every week. It was like new when I traded the car in after almost 3 years.

Does lexol make it shiny and greasy? I really enjoy the matte looks of the leather in this car.
Old 02-26-15, 02:06 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Originally Posted by msp713
I've been using stuff from Chemical Guys for exterior and interior care (I have an F-Sport) and they've been working well so far. Not sure what part of Cali you're from but they have a local store here in LA
Unfortunately, down here in SF. I'll see if I can find anything local, thanks!
Old 02-26-15, 03:10 PM
Shinedown
Driver

It is most important to clean the leather, as dirt is the biggest contributing factor to wear the leather. The leather on lexus seats have a thin "plastic" coat on them to protect them. I'm not sure if conditioner penetrates this layer.

Last edited by Shinedown; 02-26-15 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-26-15, 05:46 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,211 Likes on 632 Posts

I've been having great results using Adam's Polishes. Their general interior cleaner works great for quick rub downs, and the leather cleaner/conditioner are an awesome combo. I hate the greasy feeling so won't use anything that does that.

On a side note, I've never seen my wheels shine better than after using their wheel cleaner. It is excellent stuff.
Old 02-26-15, 09:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does lexol make it shiny and greasy? I really enjoy the matte looks of the leather in this car.
No, Lexol conditions the leather and makes it more supple but does not in any way make it shiny and greasy. It dries flat.
Old 02-27-15, 09:43 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
No GS comes with nuluxe. That's standard on the IS though. Leather is extra on that model.
For some reason I thought the Luxury Package came with semi-aniline leather seats?

Anyway to tell if it's Nuluxe or Semi-Aniline ? Just curious.

I use good old Mothers or McGuire products and it seems to work fine. I've tried a bunch of different brands over the years and haven't noticed much difference, get it done is the important thing IMO.

As someone else stated make sure you clean them thoroughly on a regular basis, especially if its any color other than Black.

What are you guys using on the dash pieces that are not leather, as well as door panels etc.?
Old 02-27-15, 09:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
For some reason I thought the Luxury Package came with semi-aniline leather seats?

Anyway to tell if it's Nuluxe or Semi-Aniline ? Just curious.

I use good old Mothers or McGuire products and it seems to work fine. I've tried a bunch of different brands over the years and haven't noticed much difference, get it done is the important thing IMO.

As someone else stated make sure you clean them thoroughly on a regular basis, especially if its any color other than Black.

What are you guys using on the dash pieces that are not leather, as well as door panels etc.?
Yes, the Luxury Package comes with semi-analine leather. As Praetor said, no GS comes with Nuluxe (though I hope they will soon).
Old 02-27-15, 10:00 AM
jcochong37
Rookie

So what kind of material is used for ours? Just standard, " premium leather"? Sorry, the site is not too clear on this.
Old 02-27-15, 11:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

So what kind of material is used for ours? Just standard, " premium leather"? Sorry, the site is not too clear on this.
The regular (non Luxury Package) GS should have pigmented/protected leather, rather than semi-aniline , I believe.

Quick Reply: What type of leather, and care?