GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Chimes for no reason when exiting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 11:48 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Sometimes I wish I have those train horns, like today, 3 Mercedes cut me off like I didn't exist. Funny thing was those idiots ended up cutting each other too. hahah
Karma... I love it when that happens.
Old 02-25-15, 10:00 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
Dealer says no problem found. I say then tell me what which computer input is causing the chime? Don't take nothing, that's normal for an answer! Go to another vehicle on the lot and show them it doesn't act the same.

U guys should not be turning off ur radio or A/C or wait for ur seat to complete its moves before getting out of the car and it shouldn't chime unless u left a window open!

There is something wrong with ur car if it chimes when all the windows are closed, take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. Maybe ur key battery is low.
Old 02-25-15, 10:08 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

After someone in this thread mentioned it, i notice mine chimes if i open the door before the steering wheel and seat move to their entry/exit position. If i wait till they finish moving, then open the door, no annoying chimes.
Old 02-25-15, 10:34 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I exit the vehicle before the steering wheel has done its thing, I always get the chime.
Old 02-25-15, 10:37 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99alta
+1
Dealer says no problem found. I say then tell me what which computer input is causing the chime? Don't take nothing, that's normal for an answer! Go to another vehicle on the lot and show them it doesn't act the same.
Take a look at my video one page back. Please post a video of your issue if that doesn't help. Include the dash and door in the shot of your video.
Old 02-25-15, 12:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I don't think we're all on the same "Chime" page here. There are many different chimes that indicate different things.
Old 02-25-15, 03:38 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

I don't think we're all on the same "Chime" page here. There are many different chimes that indicate different things.
Yeah, OP post a video...
Old 02-26-15, 05:34 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 13 model and this did catch my attention the other day. I was wondering why it did that. Me thinking maybe one of the "gates" stuck high at the time. We get warning for a lot of things. Maybe the circuitry at some point got confused and stuck high.
Old 02-27-15, 11:56 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife drove my GS yesterday (her Jeep is getting a "head job") and the chimes were incessant and inconsistent. The car has a mind of its own when it comes to making noises......
Old 03-25-15, 06:31 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my update on the chimes. What the dealer explains it but to me it is another example of bad engineering.

If we open either the driver's door or the passengers doors before pushing the button to stop the engine. The chime will start once the engine shuts off and doesn't stop until the door is closed.

I can see the chime while the door is opened and the engine is running but once the engine is off, what purpose or value is there in the chime. With the car off there is no need to chime that the door is open.

BTW the Service Rep agreed with me but said that is just how it is.

This is our second Lexus and while I think they are great cars, some of their decisions for technology really are curious to say the least.

The Nav voice control is terrible. My son has a new Honda Accord and can say Preset 1 or FM 97.9, but in a car costing 2 times more, you can only say FM AM or Satellite. It makes no sense to me that a car for half the price has any features not on a Lexus.

IMO, they waste their time making the dash light change from red to blue and lower the light level when you accelerate, but can't take the time to make a good voice\Nav combination. Also kind of sad when Siri on an Iphone understands commands better than a 50-60K Lexus.

Lexus really needs to reach out to current owners, listen to what their experiences are ad address them
Old 03-25-15, 06:53 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJA1951
Here is my update on the chimes. What the dealer explains it but to me it is another example of bad engineering.

If we open either the driver's door or the passengers doors before pushing the button to stop the engine. The chime will start once the engine shuts off and doesn't stop until the door is closed.

I can see the chime while the door is opened and the engine is running but once the engine is off, what purpose or value is there in the chime. With the car off there is no need to chime that the door is open.
SO.... basically what I've been saying all along? You could've saved yourself that trip to the dealer if you watched my video on the previous page. The chime has its purpose. One is to let you know the steering wheel is not locked.
Old 03-25-15, 06:56 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually went to the dealer shortly after my original post, but I have a life and didn't get around to posting until now. but thanks for your condescending post. I'll bet you are the know it all person at a party who people can't get away from quick enough!
Old 03-25-15, 07:05 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I actually went to the dealer shortly after my original post, but I have a life and didn't get around to posting until now. but thanks for your condescending post. I'll bet you are the know it all person at a party who people can't get away from quick enough!
Well Geesh. All the guy was trying to do was help. You posted a question and others including myself tried to help you figure out why it chimes and a solution. Even before he posted the video I myself explained why it does this and he just went ahead and did a visual confirmation about it. No need to be a snob about it we're all trying to help.
Old 03-25-15, 07:19 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

I believe the purpose of these forums is so people who don't know can run to know-it-alls for help. So you should hope people like me are here.
Old 03-25-15, 07:32 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
I believe the purpose of these forums is so people who don't know can run to know-it-alls for help. So you should hope people like me are here.
LMAO. Yogi Berra would be proud of you.

Last edited by jjscsix; 03-26-15 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Chimes for no reason when exiting?