GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer pusing me to ES from GS

Old 02-22-15, 04:12 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
I had an ES as a loaner when my car was in the shop and I wanted to kill myself.
LMFAO!

If the car salesman had said to me that i should choose the ES over GS I would have burst out laughing in his face. If you can get the GS with the luxury package, youre going to love your daily commute. Got the F-Sport because I loved the look and the increase in handling, but to me it sounds like you need that lux package....go take em for a test drive
Let us know what you think after doing so ofcourse
Old 02-22-15, 04:23 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Driving the ES makes me feel fat and bloated while the GS makes me feel athletic and fit which I am.
Old 02-22-15, 04:37 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THANK YOU guys.....I will keep you updated......I almost bought the ES couple of months back but could not make up my mind.....
Old 02-22-15, 07:37 PM
ohface
Pole Position

I have been in the car business for over 15 years and they always want to sell used over new. No one knows exactly what they took it in for/reconditioning costs compared to a new car where the invoice is all over the internet with full transparency. No money in new cars except for the owner with manufacturer kick backed etc but used is where the gross is at. Just my .02.
Old 02-22-15, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by ohface
I have been in the car business for over 15 years and they always want to sell used over new. No one knows exactly what they took it in for/reconditioning costs compared to a new car where the invoice is all over the internet with full transparency. No money in new cars except for the owner with manufacturer kick backed etc but used is where the gross is at. Just my .02.
Very true! Dealerships make their profits servicing those new cars they sell...
Old 02-22-15, 08:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned a '13 GS F Sport, which has pretty much the same seats as the Luxury model. I had an ES as a loaner and I found the seats short (with no thigh support) and uncomfortable compared to the GS. I can't see how the ES is a better commuter car than the GS. The dealership is just trying to up their profits.
Old 02-22-15, 08:09 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Very true! Dealerships make their profits servicing those new cars they sell...
Yes I didn't even get into that. But relalstically every business makes profit or they would not be in business. Don't think for a minute you are walking into a grocery store and paying "cost" or near cost. You would be amazed the profit margin on items/services you regularly buy. For example just watch Shark Tank and you will see cost vs markup and profit. Another example is this shut down of Sewell online as this was massviely cutting into dealerships profits for years. I heard rumblings of this for the last year as I work for Toyota and they were having conference calls regarding the sale of parts, warranties, maintenance plans online which has now come to fruition. No dealer can sell warranties over the internet or from another state or it violates dealer agreements which can cause huge fines for the owners and possible shut down if violated multiple times. Crazy times
Old 02-23-15, 04:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes I didn't even get into that. But relalstically every business makes profit or they would not be in business. Don't think for a minute you are walking into a grocery store and paying "cost" or near cost. You would be amazed the profit margin on items/services you regularly buy. For example just watch Shark Tank and you will see cost vs markup and profit. Another example is this shut down of Sewell online as this was massviely cutting into dealerships profits for years. I heard rumblings of this for the last year as I work for Toyota and they were having conference calls regarding the sale of parts, warranties, maintenance plans online which has now come to fruition. No dealer can sell warranties over the internet or from another state or it violates dealer agreements which can cause huge fines for the owners and possible shut down if violated multiple times. Crazy times
I bought a Lexus Platinum extended warranty from a dealer out of state a month or so ago.Others here have too.
Still can be done but for how much longer?
Old 02-23-15, 03:53 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer will always sway you to the car they can make more money on...

Get what you love to drive, and then shop A LOT to ensure you get the best deal you can on the vehicle you love.. dont fall for "you can get an ES for the same money and its better for you" lines!

Generally speaking if the dealer is controlling your decision, they have already won..

If you like driving in a spirited manner EVER, the GS is what you need!
Old 02-23-15, 05:44 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The ES floats more and has a softer cushier ride when compared to a GS which is performance oriented. Also the driving dynamics are going to be different. FWD v. RWD.
Old 02-23-15, 06:37 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I bought a Lexus Platinum extended warranty from a dealer out of state a month or so ago.Others here have too.
Still can be done but for how much longer?
Well technically they could for ever but if they get caught they are in big trouble. Also look at that contract you have top left. For example with Toyota contracts it says for "California Use" so it has legal language specific to California. If you live outside of California and try to get warranty work you could run into issues. If Lexus contracts are the same it will have the state you purchased it from on the top left. We have had many upset customers that bought contracts fem another state just be careful.
Old 02-23-15, 07:18 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
The dealer will always sway you to the car they can make more money on...
Agreed, or at least the car that the salesman you're dealing with can make the most money on. They all have new car sales targets.

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
If you like driving in a spirited manner EVER, the GS is what you need!
This!
Old 02-24-15, 03:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Well technically they could for ever but if they get caught they are in big trouble. Also look at that contract you have top left. For example with Toyota contracts it says for "California Use" so it has legal language specific to California. If you live outside of California and try to get warranty work you could run into issues. If Lexus contracts are the same it will have the state you purchased it from on the top left. We have had many upset customers that bought contracts fem another state just be careful.
How can the Lexus dealer seller of the warranty not get caught?
Toyota approves the warranty and sees the states of the dealer and warranty buyer.

No state listed top left corner of the Lexus warranty service application contract or
the 14 page warranty info booklet titled. Vehicle Service Agreement offered by Lexus Financial Services Platinum I received from Toyota.
Inside cover of the booklet is the Vehicle Service Agreement Information which lists my info and coverage time,terms etc.
Service can be done at any Lexus service area.Also a roadside assistance coverage for the life of the extended warranty term.
Maybe like a lot of things,California is different with the warranty.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-24-15 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 06:43 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
How can the Lexus dealer seller of the warranty not get caught?
Toyota approves the warranty and sees the states of the dealer and warranty buyer.

No state listed top left corner of the Lexus warranty service application contract or
the 14 page warranty info booklet titled. Vehicle Service Agreement offered by Lexus Financial Services Platinum I received from Toyota.
Inside cover of the booklet is the Vehicle Service Agreement Information which lists my info and coverage time,terms etc.
Service can be done at any Lexus service area.Also a roadside assistance coverage for the life of the extended warranty term.
Maybe like a lot of things,California is different with the warranty.
Lets just put it like this, dealers submit the warranties and there a lot of things you can do to be "undercover". Also the system automatically approves warranties only based off time or mileage. If one is over the term or mileage it will be declined. So if you have 49k miles you are technically out of warranty but the dealer types 47,999 then you are all good.

Yeah I was telling you how it looks for Toyota on the contract not sure how Lexus does it but it is obviously different. You should be fine then but I know that it was an issue we went through last year. For example If you live in California and I buy a contract from NY the legal language in NY is different than CA and vice versa. And you are correct any dealership will honor it, it just boils down to legal language.
Old 02-26-15, 03:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Lets just put it like this, dealers submit the warranties and there a lot of things you can do to be "undercover". Also the system automatically approves warranties only based off time or mileage. If one is over the term or mileage it will be declined. So if you have 49k miles you are technically out of warranty but the dealer types 47,999 then you are all good.

Yeah I was telling you how it looks for Toyota on the contract not sure how Lexus does it but it is obviously different. You should be fine then but I know that it was an issue we went through last year. For example If you live in California and I buy a contract from NY the legal language in NY is different than CA and vice versa. And you are correct any dealership will honor it, it just boils down to legal language.
I mentioned my buying a warranty out of state to my service adviser and there won't be a problem.

I don't know how true it is but I heard Troy Dietrich who was the biggest seller of Lexus warranties for years was stopped because his dealership is a Toyota dealership and not a Lexus dealership.
Makes sense to a point but again,I don't know if that's true.
I bought my discounted Platinum warranty from Toby Rivers of Lexus of Shreveport in Louisiana is still selling out of state.At least as of 6 weeks or so ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer pusing me to ES from GS