GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sewell parts closing on March 1st, get what you need now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 11:19 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

dannggggg
Old 02-20-15, 11:21 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the main info thread? The representative that I spoke with said they could use any support on the matter and I created a petition.

Spread the word. Please.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sewell-parts-online-store
Old 02-20-15, 11:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe166
Occam's Razor, or lex parsimoniae...The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Rather than conspiracy theories, I bet they weren't making enough money to make it worth their while. Saying "Lexus makes it's money by selling parts" etc, while true makes no sense in this context. They (Father Lexus) will continue to sell the parts no matter how much or how little markup is put on it by the dealer. If Sewell (or your local dealer) sold parts at a 1% or a 1000% markup, Lexus is still going to make the same amount of money because they sell it at a fixed price to all their dealers.

Almost all states (and Texas is no exception) have strong laws to prevent manufacturers from using their unique position to control completely their captive dealer base. I doubt that they could make Sewell stop doing this.

I have bought from them several times and their prices were not always the best, even with our discount. I bet they just got tired of the grief for what turned out not to be such a great profit center, or to put it more simply, they can make more money doing something else.

It appears I was right. Read on...

"As it turns out, many Lexus dealerships were complaining that Sewell was undercutting them by stealing business because of the discounted cost for common items. These complaints created restrictions on products which included shipping outside the continental USA. Now I'm assuming that wasn't enough, and finally they were pressured to close down."
Quote Reference

"I just got off the phone with Sewell's Internet Parts department. They told me that Lexus wants the dealers in "your" area to handle your OEM Lexus parts needs. I had to say I am not terribly surprised."
Quote Reference
Old 02-20-15, 12:46 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Well if they don't mark up their prices like sharks then I'd buy from my local dealers...
Old 02-20-15, 01:40 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I needed a clock wheel for the steering wheel on IS250
local dealer: $325
ebay: $30
Old 02-20-15, 02:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
I needed a clock wheel for the steering wheel on IS250 local dealer: $325 ebay: $30
deal of the week right there. good find
Old 02-21-15, 03:16 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Complete joke.... I won't ever buy parts from a local dealer. Last time I needed a clip for my OEM side skirt. One freaking clip cost me $12, what the hell....
Old 02-22-15, 02:58 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered the FSport trunk badge and a LP touch up paint. I was debating whether to get the FSport badge or not but I know I'll be kicking myself in the neck for not getting one after Sewell is closed.
Old 02-22-15, 06:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

I wonder if we should start complaining to Lexus on how most dealerships charge more then their recommended MSRP for parts...

Joe Z
Old 02-22-15, 07:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Priced on a retail basis, so that means we won't get our huge discounts anymore. This is no bueno guys.

If I'm paying retail price then might as well hit the local dealers cause u'll actually pay less without shipping fees.
I think that is exactly what Lexus and virtually all of the Lexus dealerships nationwide want and expect - to be able to sell Lexus parts at retail prices without competition from a rogue Lexus dealership that goes against the rules and sells parts nationwide online at discounted prices.

This [assumed but obvious] decision by Lexus does not surprise me. All Lexus dealership owners have millions of dollars at stake, with high demands from Lexus. Some companies protect their dealers as well as the integrity of the company brand more so than others. This is done by the company controlling the quality of product and service, and the level of pricing for their products. Anytime a dealer goes rogue and is discounting products below the threshold that the company deems is reasonable it harms the company's other dealers and damages the reputation and prestige of the brand.

Clearly, a significant number of Lexus dealerships complained about Sewell Lexus selling parts nationwide online out of their Dallas, Texas dealership at a discount...and clearly Lexus agreed that it was not in the best interest of their other dealerships or their brand for this to be happening. (For example, in the golf world, Titleist (a.k.a Acushnet Company) and PING are good examples of top notch companies that protect their dealers and their brand by tightly controlling retail pricing for many of their products such as golf clubs and golf *****. Both of these golf companies have been known to pull all inventory from major retail stores (e.g. PGA Tour Superstores) for a period of multiple years because dealers continued to offer steep discount pricing against the wishes of the company that in-turn hurt other dealers that also stocked and sold their product line.) In the case of Sewell's situation - Sewell had to abide by Lexus' [assumed] demand to cease selling parts online at discounted prices.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-22-15 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-22-15, 07:28 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I bet u Sewell's orders spiked big time this month from CL alone after we've read they're shutting down.

This just sucks!
Old 02-22-15, 08:19 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The site doesn't let me register for an account, is it too late to set one up? I'm looking to get a car cover
Old 02-22-15, 09:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sonyfan
The site doesn't let me register for an account, is it too late to set one up? I'm looking to get a car cover
Yup, ur too late. They're no longer accepting new accounts.
Old 02-23-15, 08:11 AM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yup, ur too late. They're no longer accepting new accounts.
Damnit
Old 02-23-15, 08:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sonyfan
Damnit
Give them a call on the phone - see what they say.

Quick Reply: Sewell parts closing on March 1st, get what you need now!