GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hitting the Rev Limiter - Is it bad?

Old 02-18-15, 11:13 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts
Default Hitting the Rev Limiter - Is it bad?

I did a few blips and let it bounce off the limiter in Neutral this morning and it did sound really good and addicting.

That's what the limiter is for right? To keep ur engine from over revving.
Old 02-18-15, 11:36 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

That's why it's there - to prevent engine damage. However, in my opinion I would prefer to hit the rev limiter under load (e.g. in-gear) instead of with the engine under no-load (e.g. free-wheeling) in neutral...because in neutral the engine will have a greater chance of exceeding the maximum RPM threshold whereas in-gear, under load, the RPM increases slower. That said, enjoy the addicting sound!
Old 02-18-15, 12:31 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

But u can't hit the rev limiter when in gear, it'll just upshift at redline.
Old 02-18-15, 01:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Exactly! I don't know the exact parameters for the GS 350 (redline vs. rev limiter), but I suspect the rev limiter is set at redline and the transmission shifts a few hundred RPM below redline, or the rev limiter is set a few hundred RPM higher than redline. But, when in-gear the onboard computer upshifts the transmission 'before' the engine hits the rev limiter, because if the rev limiter is hit the limiter stops or prevents the engine from increasing RPM any faster (higher) and the engine power dies-off due to the rev limiter cutting either the ignition or the fuel supply. And, we know this rev limiter engine killing action does not occur when the transmission upshifts.

Edit: I think the GS 350 engine has a redline of 6,600 RPM with the rev limiter set at the 6,600 RPM redline for fuel cutoff. The GS 350 transmission upshifts at 6,400 RPM - or 200 RPM below redline.

Edit (for example): The Lexus LFA engine has a redline of 9,000 RPM with the Rev Limiter set at 9,500 RPM for fuel cutoff - or 500 RPMs higher than engine redline.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-18-15 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 01:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

huh? that would be odd

if i put the car in manual mode and set it to say m2 and then proceed to rev it (gun it), the car should go into 2nd gear and then bounce on redline.

that's how all previous lexus work. if it goes into m3 for you, that would be an extremely stupid design
Old 02-18-15, 01:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
huh? that would be odd

if i put the car in manual mode and set it to say m2 and then proceed to rev it (gun it), the car should go into 2nd gear and then bounce on redline.

that's how all previous lexus work. if it goes into m3 for you, that would be an extremely stupid design
Automatic shifting is conducted in the following cases, even when in M mode:
– A “–” shift when vehicle speed decreases.
– When the temperature of automatic transmission fluid and engine coolant drops, shifting is conducted based on a
low oil temperature shifting pattern.
– When the automatic transmission fluid temperature is high, automatic shifting is performed.
When the engine speed reaches the redline, gear shifting is conducted automatically.

Reference (See Page 71)
Old 02-18-15, 04:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Many car makers limit the engine RPM when the automatic transmission is in neutral/park to a much lower RPM compared to when the engine is in-gear, under load. I suspect the reason for this is two-fold - (1) so people don't drop the transmission into gear at too-high of an RPM, and (2) so people don't overshoot the engine's redline, which is more likely under a no-load condition.

L99 Chevy
Smart Car
Mopar 5.7 Hemi
Same with some Hondas, and many German cars...
Old 02-18-15, 05:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

My 2014 Accord limiter kicks in at 4K RPM when in P or N. That thing it's a joke. lol

But Toyota never do that, at least the 3 Camrys I've had all bounce at redline.
Old 02-18-15, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Automatic shifting is conducted in the following cases, even when in M mode:
– A “–” shift when vehicle speed decreases.
– When the temperature of automatic transmission fluid and engine coolant drops, shifting is conducted based on a
low oil temperature shifting pattern.
– When the automatic transmission fluid temperature is high, automatic shifting is performed.
When the engine speed reaches the redline, gear shifting is conducted automatically.

Reference (See Page 71)
that's so bs....
Old 02-18-15, 09:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

U know I noticed that my car shifts funny when cold. When I'm in M mode and try to shift manually, sometimes it doesn't shift! But when all is warm it shifts on demand. lol
Old 02-18-15, 10:58 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's so bs....
Exactly! I don't understand why it's called "manual mode" if the Electronic Control Transmission (ECT)'s ECU is automatically up shifting for you.

I actually brought this up about a year back when I was looking into the IS350 F-Sport (which btw, does the same thing).

Here is an entire thread where we discussed it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nual-mode.html

I was back & forth with several people until they FINALLY understood where it would be useful (especially for the IS350 F-Sport, which is more commonly tracked) and how stupid it is.

A good read if you're interested,

~ Im2bz2p345

P.S. - Here is also a more technical piece on the ECT in Toyota vehicles: www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 02-19-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 11:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've hit the rev limiter while in gear.
Old 02-19-15, 07:21 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

U know I noticed that my car shifts funny when cold. When I'm in M mode and try to shift manually, sometimes it doesn't shift! But when all is warm it shifts on demand. lol
Car won't go into 6th gear when cold is what I noticed. That and when not in ECO mode, the car revs higher and tends to lunge forward hard when you take your foot off the gas.
Old 02-19-15, 08:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by praetor
Car won't go into 6th gear when cold is what I noticed. That and when not in ECO mode, the car revs higher and tends to lunge forward hard when you take your foot off the gas.
When the car is cold (after the car has been sitting) the transmission will behave (shift) differently until multiple inputs from both the engine and the transmission meet certain parameters. This reduces emissions, and also helps reduce engine and transmission wear.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-19-15 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 09:00 AM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not tried this yet in the GS but for what it's worth my 2007 IS350 would not automatically up shift when in manual mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitting the Rev Limiter - Is it bad?