GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

265mi on the ODO, some idiot rear-ends me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 12:31 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 265mi on the ODO, some idiot rear-ends me...

Luckily, the damage is very minor (you can't really see it, but you can feel that the bumper is slightly deformed.. There's a small wavy feel to it when you run your hand along it.)

Other insurance is taking responsibility, and I have an OEM rider on my own policy.

They don't want to replace the bumper -- only fix and repaint. I think it's kinda BS for a car that was 5 days old when it was hit.

Anyways, does anyone have any advice on what to make sure the repair place does/doesn't do/etc? I'm taking it the place the dealer recommended. I'm gonna try to get them to do a replacement bumper and repaint that one instead of fixing and repainting. But, not sure if that'll fly...

The idiot who hit me wasn't paying attention -- I was stopped at a red light. Road was bone dry, no sun in their eyes, etc.. I was there for about 10 seconds (stopped) before they hit me. Seriously pathetic driving skills...
Old 02-17-15, 01:06 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

that sucks man :/ sorry to hear.

driving for the first week is like walking on egg shells, the last thing you want is something like this
Old 02-17-15, 01:16 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

feel your pain. that's suck!
Old 02-17-15, 01:18 PM
ohsown
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I wouldn't settle for a repair. New parts and done at Lexus or their shop. There is often shock absorbing material behind the bumper that will nee to be replaced as well, its once and done. That is another reason for Lexus inspection and factory standard repair.
Old 02-17-15, 01:18 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel your pain, I think I got you beat. I bought a 2006 Kawasski ZX10R motorcycle brand new with zero miles on the odo. After taking delivery of the bike i rode it to a Five Guys burger joint to have lunch. The bike only had 5 miles on it. I parked it and went in. A soccer mom with a Cadillac Escalade ESV pulled into parking lot and knocked my bike over and dragged it 10 feet down the parking lot. She tried to back up her truck and make a run for it but my bike was still stuck under her suv, me and serveral other people came out and stopped her. She received a ticket and claimed the bike tipped over in front of her suv while she was trying to park. Obviously the officer didnt buy it. My bike was so damaged it was deemed a total loss. I ended up with a check for the full purchase price of the bike. Her insurance did try to pay me less than that claiming depreciation. But i stuck to my guns and they eventually gave in.

If you are persistent you will get a new painted bumper just keep calling them and annoying them for what you want in the claim.
Old 02-17-15, 01:25 PM
Joe166
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that you should have it checked out carefully because of the shock absorption materials behind the bumper, but frankly, most dealer body shops (not all) are not great. Adequate, but not great. See if you can get some top notch paint and body shop to look at it. If an excellent body shop clears it, then the fix is fine. In fact, it might even be better because it will definitely show up on a CarFax report when you go to sell or trade the car and it would be much better if you can show that the repair was strictly a cosmetic one and here is the receipt to prove it!

One thing you might research is that you might have a claim for diminished value. A car with a repair is not worth as much as a never repaired car. Your own insurance might argue that all you contracted for was a decent repair. The wrongdoer doesn't have that to fall back on. They are supposed to make you whole. I am sure there are lots of articles on the internet. Check it out and see if California has this doctrine.
Old 02-17-15, 02:13 PM
paul29
Driver School Candidate

A new bumper cover is only about $375 plus ship online, the labor to repair the damaged cover would be close to that. The cost to repaint would be about the same new cover or repaired cover. Get your quotes, difference may be a wash
Old 02-17-15, 02:28 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I feel your pain, I think I got you beat. I bought a 2006 Kawasski ZX10R motorcycle brand new with zero miles on the odo. After taking delivery of the bike i rode it to a Five Guys burger joint to have lunch. The bike only had 5 miles on it. I parked it and went in. A soccer mom with a Cadillac Escalade ESV pulled into parking lot and knocked my bike over and dragged it 10 feet down the parking lot. She tried to back up her truck and make a run for it but my bike was still stuck under her suv, me and serveral other people came out and stopped her. She received a ticket and claimed the bike tipped over in front of her suv while she was trying to park. Obviously the officer didnt buy it. My bike was so damaged it was deemed a total loss. I ended up with a check for the full purchase price of the bike. Her insurance did try to pay me less than that claiming depreciation. But i stuck to my guns and they eventually gave in.

If you are persistent you will get a new painted bumper just keep calling them and annoying them for what you want in the claim.
A friend of mine has you beat. He took delivery of a new 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300. A mile from the dealership he was merging on the freeway when a pickup truck that looked like it was from Sanford and Son had something fall off it and did $2,000 damage to the FJR and my friend couldn't chase him down so he had to pay for it himself.
Old 02-18-15, 07:50 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry bud, idiots suck at any mileage. Hope their insurance makes it right by you.
Old 02-18-15, 07:58 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
A friend of mine has you beat. He took delivery of a new 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300. A mile from the dealership he was merging on the freeway when a pickup truck that looked like it was from Sanford and Son had something fall off it and did $2,000 damage to the FJR and my friend couldn't chase him down so he had to pay for it himself.
thats insane man. Sounds like miami, dirty mattresses laid out in the middle of the i95
Old 02-18-15, 08:52 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U need to take it to a Lexus Certified Collision Center.

https://www.lccc-online.com/owners/c...on_centers.php
Old 02-18-15, 10:17 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The new oem painted bumper cost around $600-800 bucks so repair and repaint the damage one doesn't make sense and you still feeling the wavy on the surface. Check out Sewell website to see if they have it painted ready, that will guarantee color match your car.
Old 02-18-15, 11:15 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The painted rear bumper from Sewell is slightly cheaper than the front one.
Old 02-18-15, 12:45 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
U need to take it to a Lexus Certified Collision Center.

https://www.lccc-online.com/owners/c...on_centers.php
Damn. Didn't know that existed. I called the dealer and they told me a place they recommended. Would have brought it to the lexus certified if I knew.
Old 02-18-15, 01:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Nooooooo.... Can u get ur car back now? Cause I've had bad experience with dealer recommended body shops. They steal and swap parts...

At least with Lexus Certified shops u can call Lexus Corp. if the car came back funny.

Quick Reply: 265mi on the ODO, some idiot rear-ends me...