Filthy Doorstep

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 07:57 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
You guys are too spoiled lol
I was debating posting this its just that Ive never had a car get so dirty there (even my is250), im talking literally hours after washing it gets dirty again!

Its really my only complaint about the car other than the wheel gap

MEAHT

Last edited by MEAHT; 02-11-15 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 08:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Be sure after washing the car to clean the door jambs and also the door seals...especially the bottom seal.
Old 02-11-15, 09:04 AM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
I was debating posting this its just that Ive never had a car get so dirty there (even my is250), im talking literally hours after washing!

Its really my only complaint about the car other than the wheel gap

MEAHT
Do you clean the bottom of the door unless you drive pass something wet? Because I never had that Issue after I clean my car.
Old 02-11-15, 09:09 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoriSaru15
Do you clean the bottom of the door unless you drive pass something wet? Because I never had that Issue after I clean my car.
I clean in, out, around, through, everywhere, shiiiii when im done with her my boo shinin
Old 02-11-15, 09:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dajael
I've only got a few hundred miles on my car so I hadn't washed it thoroughly yet, but I just noticed the same door sill mess yesterday. I was shocked by how dirty it was with so few miles on the car. I took my detail spray and a MF towel and went to work.
Every time you touch your car's finish you will put scratches in the clear coat. The people that are all the time washing, detailing, polishing, buffing, coating, waxing, etc. are touching the finish and causing scratches (swirls, etc.). And those people are usually the ones that complain about all the scratches - little do they understand that they are the ones that cause all those swirls.

I love to hear people say that no one has ever washed their car except themselves, and they always hand-wash it...and they've used this-or-that product. Yet they never blame themselves for all the swirls/scratches in their car's finish. Where in hell do they think the swirls/scratches came from? It's funny (sad really) to read many of the comments in the Care & Detail forum. It's a wonder they even have any unscratched clear coat left...
Old 02-11-15, 09:18 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rjm
Believe it or not, I have more important things to worry about.

One swipe with a chamois when washing my car takes care of that.
Using a chamois is an excellent way put scratches in your clear coat - if that's what your goal is to accomplish.
Old 02-11-15, 09:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The people that are all the time washing, detailing, polishing, buffing, coating, waxing, etc. are touching the finish and causing scratches (swirls, etc.).
Well, if done correctly, polishing should remove the swirls.

As for the door jambs, this happens on my IS, so I just wash them when I wash the rest of the car. It's part of my washing routine.
Old 02-11-15, 09:45 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rjm
Believe it or not, I have more important things to worry about.
Like posting in the thread to mention that you have more important things to worry about?

Jus wanted to know if anyone had any tips for reducing the amount of dirt caught up in here, nothing more.

Last edited by MEAHT; 02-11-15 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 10:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Well, if done correctly, polishing should remove the swirls.
Correct - Polishing should remove scratches and swirls if done correctly. I read on the Care & Detailing forum where one fellow was proud of the fact that he polished his car once every 3 months. He had no idea he was removing his clear coat at an alarming rate. He'll probably remove the clear coat in areas and be down into the color layer by the time his car is 18 months old. And, I'll bet he is doing far more damage than good every single time he touches his car's finish...but he thinks he is 'caring' for it. And there are probably more people that are doing damage to their finish than people who are not.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-11-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 12:32 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The day when manufactuers design a car that does not get dirty when raining or snowing will be the day when pigs can fly. Seriously, cars will get dirty when you use it and if that bothers you then clean it.

The only cars that dont get dirty are cars that stay in a museum or a private collectors garage and only used for display and never driven. Just enjoy your car and calm down and stop nitpicking about it.
Old 02-11-15, 12:40 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus must be getting close to perfection in their pursuit when these are the kind of things we notice and discuss!!

However I do agree the 4GS seems to be the worst of any cars I can recall owning in this regard, perhaps it is the extra massive tank like door sill design? Seems like its the biggest of all my cars too.. hence the most surface area that needs cleaning.

Or perhaps everything else about the car is just that good... it's nice being spoiled!
Old 02-12-15, 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Every time you touch your car's finish you will put scratches in the clear coat. The people that are all the time washing, detailing, polishing, buffing, coating, waxing, etc. are touching the finish and causing scratches (swirls, etc.). And those people are usually the ones that complain about all the scratches - little do they understand that they are the ones that cause all those swirls.

I love to hear people say that no one has ever washed their car except themselves, and they always hand-wash it...and they've used this-or-that product. Yet they never blame themselves for all the swirls/scratches in their car's finish. Where in hell do they think the swirls/scratches came from? It's funny (sad really) to read many of the comments in the Care & Detail forum. It's a wonder they even have any unscratched clear coat left...
I've read you make this statement a few times, and I have a little bit of a hard time understanding your point. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't wash, wax, polish, or clean their cars because doing so can cause marring to the paint?

Touching your vehicle does cause marring over time, but it is definitely possible to do all of the things you've listed above without damaging the vehicle's paint, at least not to the point where you would notice it with the naked eye.

To me part of the enjoyment of having a nice car is keeping it clean and admiring its beauty. Why would I want to leave it dirty all the time just to avoid touching it for fear of scratching it?
Old 02-12-15, 05:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I've read you make this statement a few times, and I have a little bit of a hard time understanding your point. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't wash, wax, polish, or clean their cars because doing so can cause marring to the paint?

Touching your vehicle does cause marring over time, but it is definitely possible to do all of the things you've listed above without damaging the vehicle's paint, at least not to the point where you would notice it with the naked eye.

To me part of the enjoyment of having a nice car is keeping it clean and admiring its beauty. Why would I want to leave it dirty all the time just to avoid touching it for fear of scratching it?
Good question. Like you, I enjoy a nice clean car that shines like new too. I am not suggesting to leave your car dirty all the time, but I don't suggest washing it too often either. There must be a happy medium. That said, just read a dozen or so threads in the Care & Detailing forum and tell me if you don't agree that a lot of the comments and questions are coming from people that have no clue whatsoever what they're doing pertaining to caring for the finish of their car. There are people that cannot figure out how to mix 1:3 concentrate. There is a guy that took great pride in telling everyone that he polishes (e.g. cutting down the clear coat) his car's finish quarterly - every 3 months. There are people that brush the gritty dust off their finish with a dust brush. There are people that will use quick/instant detail spray wax on their car's dusty/gritty finish almost daily...and wipe the dust/grit off thinking they are not scratching the finish. There are people that use a chamois to dry their car...and have no clue that the chamois' flat surface traps grit particles where the grit is guaranteed to scratch the finish like sandpaper. And the list goes on and on, and on. And these people wonder why their car's finish has swirls and scratches - even though they are the only people to ever touch their car. Again - touch it and you scratch it. Touch it less often (only when it's needed) and you'll have far less scratches. Less swirls and scratches that must be polished out of the clear coat, or just temporarily hidden and covered-up using detail spray, glaze, wax or sealant/coating products to fill those scratches that were put into the finish because (wait for it...) it was touched too often.

Washing a car too often when it is really not dirty (but only dusty) only scratches the clear coat more than is necessary. Every time a car is washed it is scratched - every single time. Washing it once a week when it is just dusty instead of once every 2-3 weeks will produce 2 to 3 times the scratches/swirls. I realize that some people live in areas that have snow/salt, daily rain, dirt roads, etc. so their car needs washing far more often.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-14-15 at 04:34 PM.